Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rugbyman1

oxford game

72 posts in this topic

Spanner & Scott are in communication at all times with the dug out via the radio. Standing on the scaffold is a better vantage point than the crowded dug out view you would get at Whitebank.

That league table today represents a low point in the clubs history I never ever thought I would see after over 40 years of watching the club!
This was inevitable to anyone with an ounce of common sense when that coach from Salford was appointed! Hardly hit the high points as a player and looks like doing less so in a coaching role!
It's time for even the most blinkered of supporters to take a step back and realise that they need to stay away and force the megalomaniac's hand!
There will be no change to how the club is being operated (run into the ground) unless his hand is forced financially. Either through the sale of the club or through closure and possible reformation!
Let's face it even having no club at all is probably preferable to the present disgrace and shame!

What's the answer? Seriously were would you start. Hamilton doesn't take the field the players do, are the players not good enough? The coach? Or does Hamilton need to find investment for better players.

First of all we have to admit that the players are not good enough at this point in time. It may be that in two, maybe three years, they will be better players with enough ability and experience to get us out of this awful predicament, but I don't think wholesale changes are needed, It just needs two or three really experienced players to guide us round the park and put the frighteners on the opposition. They are too young and too inexperienced to do the job we want. But Hamilton will not be interested in any of our remarks. I have no idea what he earns from the club. I know what is alleged, and if it is true it may well be that he is happy to soldier on with his £xxxxx thousand pound income and have no concern for how well the club does. I can only say that an average of five to six hundred attendances will dwindle to two to three hundred next year if we are still in this division. I totally agree that we do not need to have the under 20s side at a time when we should be investing in a team to get us up a division. It's all very well to say that several have come through the ranks but they are not good enough to get us where we NEED to be to survive. I seriously want to be back watching Oldham but I won't do it until I see signs that good decisions are being made that will ensure our promotion and future. It may be time to think about the club folding and the supporters taking over with a properly run board and a completely new set up. As it stands the club is only going one way. Out of existence. 

Just registered on the forum, though I check on it regularly, but I felt that I had to write something about the defeat today and this season generally.

I've followed ORLFC for 45+years, first professional sport I went to with my dad, and then with friends etc, quite often home and away, until approx 8 years ago when I thought enough is enough the club cannot sink any further, and I won't return until significant change happens. Well change has happened, the situation is now the worst I can ever remember. That includes when Oldham folded, I owned a small number of shares, but you always thought someone would move in to resurrect the club. That person was CH and fair play to him, I supported his efforts at the time and thought if we can get going then others will move in to continue the long history and legacy that this town has provided the great sport of RL.

But Oldham are now playing in a ground that;

• Cannot attract decent players 
  • Would not be allowed to be promoted

And with a team of young players who may turn out to be great players, but need experienced guidance both on and off the pitch

So what needs to happen? I would say the following;

• The club need to forget this season for promotion, seeing it as a trial for the young players to see who will make the grade
  • Get some experienced players in, both on and off the park (perhaps ex Oldham players for the latter) to work with the young players
  • Break whatever tenuous links are in place with Salford
  • Instigate immediate negotiations with Oldham Athletic/Council or whoever to get the club back to ground sharing with OAFC at Boundary Park
  • Once the ground sharing is achieved CH to put the club up for sale on the basis of using BP to whoever wishes to own/invest in it, CH to walk away with his head held high for having saved the club when it folded
  • Scrap the under 20s and work with the local clubs (Saddleworth, St Annes, Waterhead) to nurture local talent for feeding into OAFC
  • Players to be paid a % of the gate money, once tax/expenses etc have been deducted, so that they have an immediate incentive to play better/win games to attract larger attendances. This would also mean that the club could never go bankrupt (unless gate money didn't even cover costs with players wages!, in which case the club cannot exist)
  • The official club supporters club to have an elected member on the board working with the new owners and feeding back to the fans
  • Once all the above are in place to apply for automatic promotion rather than go through another season in this poor division, or if that isn't possible then to make sure they are promoted automatically next season 

Oldham needs a RL team, and RL needs a team in Oldham given its history and provision of great players both in the past and now.

You say scrap the under 20s and work with the local clubs. The under 20s have been forced on us by the RFLC not by choice we have had to do away with a pretty good second team because of this,  has everybody forgotten about John Hough's winning team. When we tried to run an under 18s team which was the first club to object Saddleworth Rangers and caused mayhem and tried to put a stop to it.

On a par with Fridays game. No evidence of game plan or structure. Poor decisions on subs and little evidence of either teams coaches being proactive to changing game conditions.

Did you go to Friday nights game because if you did you know very little about rugby league, We were up against a far superior class of team who would have probably given any team in our division a good game never mind the under 20s.

You cannot blame the coaches nor the team for the performance on the night we had nine players cried off through injury or other commitments and the guys who turned out gave their all.

The under 20s have been forced on us by the RFLC and a lot of our guys were recruited for the under 18s prior to the change.

Can't fault the coaches or the Lads and your comments are offensive to their efforts.

Mind you I have got to agree with you about todays performance.

Spanner & Scott are in communication at all times with the dug out via the radio. Standing on the scaffold is a better vantage point than the crowded dug out view you would get at Whitebank.

But does it need them both up there?  who's then running the co-ordination of the team from the dugout, can't see radios working when our tannoy system doesn't even work properly, and I am sure Hamilton won't have invested anything proper

Comiserations, ex players always come back to bite you. A truly amazing result, Oxford had a plus 22 start with the bookies.

Maybe they have G I Joe walkie talkies from smyths!. As for the vantage point they obviously couldn't see that the stand offs stock tactic of giving their wingers catching practice with little dolly kicks over the top was not working!

Just registered on the forum, though I check on it regularly, but I felt that I had to write something about the defeat today and this season generally.

I've followed ORLFC for 45+years, first professional sport I went to with my dad, and then with friends etc, quite often home and away, until approx 8 years ago when I thought enough is enough the club cannot sink any further, and I won't return until significant change happens. Well change has happened, the situation is now the worst I can ever remember. That includes when Oldham folded, I owned a small number of shares, but you always thought someone would move in to resurrect the club. That person was CH and fair play to him, I supported his efforts at the time and thought if we can get going then others will move in to continue the long history and legacy that this town has provided the great sport of RL.

But Oldham are now playing in a ground that;

• Cannot attract decent players 
  • Would not be allowed to be promoted

And with a team of young players who may turn out to be great players, but need experienced guidance both on and off the pitch

So what needs to happen? I would say the following;

• The club need to forget this season for promotion, seeing it as a trial for the young players to see who will make the grade
  • Get some experienced players in, both on and off the park (perhaps ex Oldham players for the latter) to work with the young players
  • Break whatever tenuous links are in place with Salford
  • Instigate immediate negotiations with Oldham Athletic/Council or whoever to get the club back to ground sharing with OAFC at Boundary Park
  • Once the ground sharing is achieved CH to put the club up for sale on the basis of using BP to whoever wishes to own/invest in it, CH to walk away with his head held high for having saved the club when it folded
  • Scrap the under 20s and work with the local clubs (Saddleworth, St Annes, Waterhead) to nurture local talent for feeding into OAFC
  • Players to be paid a % of the gate money, once tax/expenses etc have been deducted, so that they have an immediate incentive to play better/win games to attract larger attendances. This would also mean that the club could never go bankrupt (unless gate money didn't even cover costs with players wages!, in which case the club cannot exist)
  • The official club supporters club to have an elected member on the board working with the new owners and feeding back to the fans
  • Once all the above are in place to apply for automatic promotion rather than go through another season in this poor division, or if that isn't possible then to make sure they are promoted automatically next season 

Oldham needs a RL team, and RL needs a team in Oldham given its history and provision of great players both in the past and now.

Total common sense!

Unfortunately common sense does not apply where this club or this town are concerned.

Year on year the club has taken backward steps.Just as we get used to one backward step another comes along.

Mr Hamilton simply adapts his business model.Less fans =lower quality players and so on.Not all his fault though.The council has played a big part.

However as much as Mr Hamilton saved the club I am afraid now he will not let go. The club will fold and have to restart again without him.The last of the backward steps is upon us.

but are you sure the RFL would let a heart land club rejoin even one with a great history like Oldham have . The plan now seems to be for expansion teams to make up Championship 1

So what now ?. After watching that yesterday afternoon, I'm left wondering where we go from here, and how do we progress.

The honest answer is that I haven't a clue. All the evidence is there that Naylor is not good enough for the role, and I agree with the post Bigred put up, that he never aspired to much as a player, and he won't do it as a coach. Yesterday after the Game, Tony Benson told me he has ex union players in his squad that have never played League before, and they looked better than our experienced players.How many times in the first half, coming up the hill, they got over the gain line in a two/three man tackle ?. On attack, with ball in hand, we played one man rugby,no ball release, no run around and a poorly executed kicking game, one kick for touch by Palfrey went only 5yards.

The leaving of Jamie Dallimore early season, and the breakdown of his relationship with Naylor leaves a lot of unanswered question, starting with why couldn't it be put right.

If we cant compete with and beat Oxford, we are going nowhere. Benson told me they have and are making great progress as a team and as a club. It's not losing to them and a team of ex Roughyed that leaves me deflated, its the lack of quality. We lack the ability to win the collision on the field, and the lack of ball to the wingers, more so Bloomfield is worrying. Surely Naylor can see this and why hasn't he addressed it ?.

Over the last month, I've seen Fax 3 times and the difference is huge. The power up the middle from the forwards, Tonks and Barlow, the line speed and the simple run around when attacking the oppositions line.

I agree with Bigred and others, that whilst the club is in sole charge of CH, we are going backwards. What is there to invest in, there are no assets, players can break their contracts, whilst the club can do nothing because of the employment laws.

I am at the moment, a long term disillusioned supporter, who once again is seeing promotion goimg out the window, and no future.

When you follow a team, there has to be on your part, a dream, a hope,a vision of the club and team going forward, decent matches to enjoy, and I don't see it.

I know we have a number of dedicated supporters, who will go wherever, whenever, and enjoy the day out singing and drinking, and I'm not knocking them for it, but for me there has to be more than that. Yesterday for me, another part of The Roughyeds died and feel like putting a notice on it saying " do not resuscitate ".

If you have an organisation run by one person there is no one to challenge their decisions and if a wrong decision is made then any given situation will become worse.

Until there is a change no improvement will be seen.

The ground is not up to standard and nothing seems to have been done on it since last season.

The playing squad have got younger with less experience together with a coach who himself has not got a wealth of experience.

The only answer is more investment with more directors ( or CH being bought out ).

A move back to BP.

A an experienced coach brought in.

The stumbling block to all this is the clubs debt of over £200.000 as no one in the right mind will take that over.

The second is will the RFL allow a new club to continue to be formed without the debt being paid.

They would not let Blackpool do it so it is doubtful if they would let us.

The future is Bleak.

It's all about money. Outgoings greater than income. According to another thread Leigh haven't paid their players! They have use of a decent ground but it's not theirs. We have our own ground but it's cra9. We need someone who h as money to chuck away because RL at this level is not a business.

thats not going to happen with CH in charge....

he NEEDS to hand the club over to rugbyoldham and walk away...

Took two neutrals to the game yesterday both said not to drag them there again, due to the quality of the rugby. The facilities of course didnt help, when it started to hammer it down as the game petered out me and my mate questioned why we bothered shelling out for the season ticket. I want to follow my local team, living in Salford the temptations on my doorstep but im an Oldhamer and il back the club to a point but i dont want to pay to come out dejected and throw money to someone who has no plan or ambition to move the club on.

Issues i see 

-The club has almost no communication to the fans about anything. ORSA please step forward and link with the fans. Or as others have said Rugby Oldham kick on and try and offer an alternative route.

- We have a young squad with no experience who insist on playing up the middle. we do have wingers Scott! It feels like a budget team set out to match Hamiltons lack of ambition.

-The Ground is looking even worse than it did when we first moved in, the volunteers painting made a difference for the first couple of years now its starting to look tatty for whitebanks standards and whats with the entire end behind the sticks being closed. Whats happened to the planing permission, is there even any point?

- The website is god awful, i know we are skint but every club in this bloody division has a decent website, marketing is the only way we can move this club on to attract new fans, honestly think most students could make a better website.

Positives - Its our ground and the beer and pies are good value...

Rant over

No club apart from the top four clubs in SL are profitable, and some of those four could be questionable. Unfortuantely, if Oldham were top of the Championship and playing champagne rugby etc etc, crowds would be no bigger than 2000. RL is struggling, and no matter how they splash a bit more colour on the drab image it presents, it all needs rippping down and overhauling to suit EVERY club and not the select four. Just look how the RFL are trying to change to game at Primary school level to see the destruction they seem happy to do, they get some funding, and then sabotage a system that works and works well, without ever consulting the people that do have a clue. It's madness.

With regards to the rugby on show at present, the pitch does not help. Too narrow and too short to play any sort of free flowing attractive rugby. The quality of the surface isn't up to scratch with too many dips, hollows and bare patches, it surely must help create lower leg injuries for the players. I remember TB saying to me when we moved from BP in that he would have to change his own coaching mentality and squad selection to suit the pitch at Whitebank, it's madness.

I agree with nearly everything that's been said on here. Yesterday's display was dire, but, even worse than that, it was exceedingly boring. I thought some of last season's games were tedious, but yesterday topped the lot. Along with many others, I'd high hopes for the new coaching team. Now, I have massive doubts. I went to a game of RL yesterday to be entertained. What I saw appeared to be no better than a bad RU club game. Is it too much to ask to see an Oldham team throwing the ball about and not just one off drives down the middle, which are easy to defend against. Then again, with a well past his best scrum half and a stand off (and captain) who I wouldn't have bringing the water bottles on, perhaps I'm expecting too much. And the worst of it is there's no longer any hope under the present one man band. Oh for a tax bill we can't pay and a new start. Anyone want a season ticket. I'll pay a good price to take it off my hands.

Greater Manchester RLFC is the only way this town will be represented in any decent standard again. Lets face it its not exactly worked keeping both Salford and Oldham as individuals has it most of those who fought against it and got there wish have ditched both clubs. Oldham as à team is done. Manchester team could be à disaster but the so is Oldham RLFC

I have watched every game this season and have seen some great rugby on show, yesterday was poor,Oxford obviously wanted it more but quite honestly I think some of the posts are a knee jerk reaction to the performance. To blame the coaching staff is unfair, they have got the lads playing together and morale is very high. The pitch doesn't help, it is very poor and I think the lads play much better away from home. Having a few weeks off isn't going to help but onwards and upwards, keep the faith, they will come back and to be frank, promotion isn't an option with the current facilities. Just my opinion. X

In the past it has been stated that Rugby Oldham may have an hidden agenda and wanted to gain control of the club. God I wish they had! For the good of Rugby League in Oldham Rugby Oldham should make a move NOW! A campaign should be started to show Hamilton how much his mismanagement of OUR club is resented in this town.

Thats if you can get any meaningful dialogue with the management or even a respose

Why keep blaming the U20's??? They don't get paid, a lot of them travel a good distance to train twice a week for the club, they are not the reason the club is skint!!! They are providing game play for players not playing in 1st team and there are future players who give all to the club, if there was a problem with injuries they are are support as we don't have a large 1st team squad.

If any U20's are reading this forum... well done ... your efforts are appreciated!!!

For me, Sunday's result was a new low point and a true realisation that we are continuing to move backwards. After seven seasons and this being our eight in the bottom tier we have not progressed, after failing to win the grand final on promotion on several occasions we have become a poor side with no prospect of progression. I have always supported the club and I will always turn up to watch the team but this season is worst than the season we lost all 18 games in the old Championship......

On the field we look poor of attacking options and the defence is suspect at times.......................

Talk is Cheap but actions speak louder than words !!!!!!!!

if anybody from the club reads this, including the players, I have never felt so disappointed by a group of players who can't beat a team who were put together in the off season with very little pre season training.....

It is Tuesday and I am still angry by the level of performance by the players.

I don't want to read that coach thinks it is not good enough I want results, an intense level of preformance and promotion.......

Regards

Dejectedly and disappointedly