Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rugbyman1

oxford game

72 posts in this topic

Why keep blaming the U20's??? They don't get paid, a lot of them travel a good distance to train twice a week for the club, they are not the reason the club is skint!!! They are providing game play for players not playing in 1st team and there are future players who give all to the club, if there was a problem with injuries they are are support as we don't have a large 1st team squad.

If any U20's are reading this forum... well done ... your efforts are appreciated!!!

Fully agree with you on this one, not only do they not get paid neither do the coaches, if you look at the upcoming fixtures you will see they are due to play at Hemel with a 12.30 kick off as an opener for the first team match, now that's dedication

For me, Sunday's result was a new low point and a true realisation that we are continuing to move backwards. After seven seasons and this being our eight in the bottom tier we have not progressed, after failing to win the grand final on promotion on several occasions we have become a poor side with no prospect of progression. I have always supported the club and I will always turn up to watch the team but this season is worst than the season we lost all 18 games in the old Championship......

On the field we look poor of attacking options and the defence is suspect at times.......................

Talk is Cheap but actions speak louder than words !!!!!!!!

if anybody from the club reads this, including the players, I have never felt so disappointed by a group of players who can't beat a team who were put together in the off season with very little pre season training.....

It is Tuesday and I am still angry by the level of performance by the players.

I don't want to read that coach thinks it is not good enough I want results, an intense level of preformance and promotion.......

Regards

Dejectedly and disappointedly  

Got to agree with this my sentiments exactly

who's blaming the under 20s??

There have been three posting already on this topic suggesting the scrapping of the under 20s.

Youth development is one of the big positives of ORLFC. Without young players coming through RL is dead. We have a young 1st team squad and youth development under that. ALL these players need our 100% positive support. They are all doing their best, turning up week in week out often to train or play in substandard conditions (won't mention the showers again!) and in reality for many if you add all of the travel costs they are actually paying in reality to play for ORLFC.

Yes we had a poor result on Sunday but we're still the same group of players who played oustandingly against Rochdale this year. But with youth comes inconsistency sometimes. I'm sure they will become more consistent as the season goes on and will improve. I've not seen any players not giving 100% apart from Dally who's spat his dummy out and thinks he can walk into Workington it appears.

Dissapointed we are, have gripes with CH fair enough but our development teams and the first team are trying their best.It's up to CN/LS to kick them if they need it.

"we're still the same group of players who played oustandingly against Rochdale!" - Not in the game I saw (Good Friday) the team were bloody awful, and just as boring and predictable as it sounds as if they were against Oxford - that Rochdale game is going to be my last of the season.

The other weekend, as I live nearby, I went to watch Eccles against Waterhead, far better entertainment, a lot cheaper in both petrol and gate money, and facilities of a similar standard. I'll go back there again but I've had it with Oldham until they sort the facilities out and (more importantly) play some rugby that's worth watching. I've been going for nearly 30 years but I've had enough.

I agree with nearly everything that's been said on here. Yesterday's display was dire, but, even worse than that, it was exceedingly boring. I thought some of last season's games were tedious, but yesterday topped the lot. Along with many others, I'd high hopes for the new coaching team. Now, I have massive doubts. I went to a game of RL yesterday to be entertained. What I saw appeared to be no better than a bad RU club game. Is it too much to ask to see an Oldham team throwing the ball about and not just one off drives down the middle, which are easy to defend against. Then again, with a well past his best scrum half and a stand off (and captain) who I wouldn't have bringing the water bottles on, perhaps I'm expecting too much. And the worst of it is there's no longer any hope under the present one man band. Oh for a tax bill we can't pay and a new start. Anyone want a season ticket. I'll pay a good price to take it off my hands.

The boredom factor at Sundays game was THE single biggest emotion that I took home with me after the game. I have seen many close run games watching Oldham but, even given the closeness of the result, I never once raised my voice during the game because it was the dullest specticle I have witnessed for years. One out drives up the middle with hardly any intention to get the outside backs involved...It was awful.

I went home and put an old DVD on, showing all the tries from the 90/91 and 91/92 seasons. The rugby played back then was full of attacking flare, sweeping length of the field moves with the ball often going through the hands of at least half the team.....Where did all that go??? I honestly don't remember seeing a try that came from a kick.

I know times have changed, the game is quicker, players fitter and, for us, our pitch is too narrow but still....Where has all the skill gone from the game? I can't even say Super League is that much better.

I watched the DVD to cheer me up..... I ended up even more depressed at the demise of our game and our club. Will I be there next time? I really don't know.

SL does de-skill players, as they play to a certain pattern and are very much robotised. Gone are the days where players 'play what they see'. The only player who in the modern era plays in that way Sam Tomkins, and people are excited (and some hate him for that fact) to see him play for that factor. In the 80s and early 90s, we had a plethora of Tomkins', Edwards, Gregory, Hanley, Ford, Fox, Schofield, Powell etc etc. In the early 90s, watching an Australian club game was like watching 13 robots play against each other, and who was the biggest and quickest normally won, our game is a carbon copy of that era down under. I got slated once at a coaching meeting run by the RFL when we watched clips of games pre and post SL, and was asked if the game had improved or not, I commented that it had gone backwards. The RFL were go smacked with my response, as they claimed that as full time professional, the players were bigger, quicker and fitter than there predcessors. That may be the case but their core skills are poor. Poor tackling techniques due to be taught the correct way since 7 by their amateur club coach, and then once in the scholarship arena are taught to attack the ball in the tackle and be dominant, often making missed or poor tackles in the process. Scholarships are building atheletes rather than skilled players, and it is showing big time, and its not just the British game that is suffering, the Australian game is also.

My only concern with the under 20s, both this season and last, is that fielding a team in that competition is not one of the conditions for promotion and the money spent on running a team at this level could be better spent on strengthening the first team squad, to try to get us out of this division. The fact that we are running an Under 20s team, and not putting all our eggs into the first team basket, leads me to the conclusion that promotion is not the top priority, despite some of the cheap talk coming out of the club. Be interesting to know what Hamilton's priorities are, beyond picking up his Chief Exec pay from the RFL, but I'm not expecting to find anything out anytime soon. After all, we're only the customers.

My only concern with the under 20s, both this season and last, is that fielding a team in that competition is not one of the conditions for promotion and the money spent on running a team at this level could be better spent on strengthening the first team squad, to try to get us out of this division. The fact that we are running an Under 20s team, and not putting all our eggs into the first team basket, leads me to the conclusion that promotion is not the top priority, despite some of the cheap talk coming out of the club. Be interesting to know what Hamilton's priorities are, beyond picking up his Chief Exec pay from the RFL, but I'm not expecting to find anything out anytime soon. After all, we're only the customers.

This is the first year for the under 20s, last year if you remember we ran a Reserve Team coached by Paul Ashton and an under 18s team.

The way I understand it is that the under 20s team has been forced on us by the RFLC and the Super League Clubs (not wanting to run their own reserves) to the detriment of the Reserve Team.

I agree with you about Hamilton's priorities but there must be a cost saving by not having the Reserves (which is a great loss to us) and some funding must come from the RFLC in running a Under 20s team, which we cannot afford to be without.

Interested to see what you think running the under 20's cost, they don't get paid, pay all their own travel, the coaches don't get paid, so wheres the cost???

Assuming the players don't have to buy their own kit, have it washed and dried, contribute towards the costs of floodlights for evening games and pay for their own insurance (probably the biggest expense), then there is a cost to running the Under 20s, as there is for all amateur teams, hence the subs that are paid by players.

Talking of costs, what a brilliant bit of business that is with Dally. According to the coach, he's let the club down and we give him what he wants by agreeing to release him from his contract. Why not hold out for a transfer fee, it's not as if the club doesn't need every bit of cash it can get. I can see this coming back to bite us hard. Then again, the silver lining to this cloud is that we're left with Roden and Palfrey! Oh joy!

There is only one reason Hamilton continues to hang on, it pays his salary, and until it doesn't, nothing will change, I am still absolutely amazed that that the 'loyal fans' continue to put up with this rubbish, surely even they can see its a lost cause or maybe a pie and a pint with their mates on a Sunday afternoon is good enough, well for me, the same as so many others, it's not. A one horse club in a one horse town.

Assuming the players don't have to buy their own kit, have it washed and dried, contribute towards the costs of floodlights for evening games and pay for their own insurance (probably the biggest expense), then there is a cost to running the Under 20s, as there is for all amateur teams, hence the subs that are paid by players.

Talking of costs, what a brilliant bit of business that is with Dally. According to the coach, he's let the club down and we give him what he wants by agreeing to release him from his contract. Why not hold out for a transfer fee, it's not as if the club doesn't need every bit of cash it can get. I can see this coming back to bite us hard. Then again, the silver lining to this cloud is that we're left with Roden and Palfrey! Oh joy!

The biggest grumble I have with running any other team than the first team at this point in time is the reliance that we seem to put on it to provide us with a team for the future. True some quite good players have come through from reserves/under 18s/under 20s etc but you cannot build a team entirely from that source without putting in place plenty of experience to guide them. It seems to me that the thinking at the club is that we will put together a team on the cheap made up of promoted under 20s etc and hope that in a few years time they will be good enough to hold their own in a higher division. However you only have to look at people like Dally who, it seems to me, believes what he reads about himself in the papers and thinks he should be playing at a much higher level. If he should then you can't blame him for jumping ship and others who make a reputation for themselves will do likewise, resulting in a constant stream of inexperienced players in the first team.

I totally agree that we need to think very seriously about the situation we are in and perhaps look at ensuring promotion by enlisting the aid of some very experienced people, as I keep saying, in key positions.

£4.00 to watch the U20's I am sure this would cover any costs, and do the RFL not contribute?

There is only one reason Hamilton continues to hang on, it pays his salary, and until it doesn't, nothing will change, I am still absolutely amazed that that the 'loyal fans' continue to put up with this rubbish, surely even they can see its a lost cause or maybe a pie and a pint with their mates on a Sunday afternoon is good enough, well for me, the same as so many others, it's not. A one horse club in a one horse town.

hit the nail on the head..

Re some of the responses to my message and the point I made re the under 20s team;

My suggestion that the under 20s team is scrapped and replaced by increased association with the local national conference teams is not intended as a slight on the players in the under 20s team. As people have said these are young players trying to start their way in the game, and good luck to them, their enthusiasm and dedication to rugby league cannot be doubted (though I have to say to support my other point re moving back to BP and CH selling the club, should one of the under 20 players 'make it' will he wish to play for the club as it is, surely they'll want to move to a club with greater prospects).

My point is made for the following reasons;

• Oldham as a club should not be distracted by running anything beyond the first team and getting out of this poor division, those distractions either being coaching, administration or financial
  • A development team, of whatever type, can be run in the future when the club itself has firm foundations, something it does not have at present
  • Working with the local conference sides will be means of nurturing inclusion in the running and well-being of the professional club in the town and well as giving local players the opprtunity to play for their own town team 

As for whether or not the club have to run an under 20s team, there is the following quote from wikipedia (which whilst sometimes not the most reliable source, this does look official);

"The Rugby League Reserve Team Championship is a competition for the reserve teams of the British based Super League clubs. Having a reserve team is a compulsory part of the minimum criteria to hold a Super League license, but Catalans Dragons have dispensation to run their reserve team in the French Elite League for logistical reasons. The reserve championship has been replaced by an Under 20 competition.

The Rugby League Reserve Team First Division is a competition for the reserve teams of Co-Operative Championship clubs, although there is no longer an obligation for clubs in the Championship to enter a reserve team. This is now an Under 23 competition featuring just six sides in 2012".

Subsequent to all the above posts

Whats happened to RTG .....and his Rose Tinted Glasses ?????????. . . . :rolleyes:

Interesting point from last Sunday was the official attendance, given as 602. I was at the Rochdale game on Good Friday, when the attendance was given as 664, I think. Nobody's going to convince me that last Sunday's crowd was only 60 odd less than for the Hornets game. I reckon about 450 last Sunday and there is previous for this. Season before last, we played South Wales in a downpour and the offical attendace was 514, but I have it from an impeccable source that the actual crowd figure was 374. I'd like to know what the point of this is, or is it just Hamilton's attempt to show there are more people interested than there actually are. We'll probably never find out.

:lol: We all have our memories Of Oldham rugby , i started Going in the 70's  great players -great times !!!!! but now is Now !!!! If Oldham needed support it does Now More than ever !!! chris Hamleton has Kept oldham going and for that i thank Him , But we need Class players and not Kids or salford cast offs !!!1 I fear that if we dont get promoted that will be the END !!!! Come On Chris ,Come On Oldham Fans -BUT MOST OF ALL COME ON YOU ROUGHYEDS !!!!! :angry:

I started going to Watersheddings in the fifties, even greater memories, greater players and greater times, and now is indeed now, but that is not to say that we should accept it for what it is and put up with it. 

I greatly applaud and admire those people who attend matches regularly, I admit I don't but for more than one reason, however I think that they do so blindly and do not see that they are part of the problem. While CH can keep it ticking over CH has a good income, allegedly, and he seems happy to carry on with the status quo. If this is untrue then he should come out and tell us, along with lots of other things that we need to know.

If we all sat back and did nothing, nothing would ever change. Look at the Rochdale Pioneers and others who did not want to let things carry on ticking over. Had they just carried on thinking that nothing could be done and accepted that things were bad but they were better than nothing, then where would the world be today I wonder?

Someone says that he/she has been in touch with BQ and he would be willing to come back if we had a proper board in place and it would seem he would be happy to work with a supporters takeover. If that is true then I for one can't wait to attend a public meeting, do what I can to help and, hopefully, get the club back on it's feet and where it belongs. Definitely not with clubs new to the league and who have nothing like our 100 plus years of existence. (Please don't tell me we have only been running since 1997) 

I started going to Watersheddings in the fifties, even greater memories, greater players and greater times, and now is indeed now, but that is not to say that we should accept it for what it is and put up with it. 

I greatly applaud and admire those people who attend matches regularly, I admit I don't but for more than one reason, however I think that they do so blindly and do not see that they are part of the problem. While CH can keep it ticking over CH has a good income, allegedly, and he seems happy to carry on with the status quo. If this is untrue then he should come out and tell us, along with lots of other things that we need to know.

If we all sat back and did nothing, nothing would ever change. Look at the Rochdale Pioneers and others who did not want to let things carry on ticking over. Had they just carried on thinking that nothing could be done and accepted that things were bad but they were better than nothing, then where would the world be today I wonder?

Someone says that he/she has been in touch with BQ and he would be willing to come back if we had a proper board in place and it would seem he would be happy to work with a supporters takeover. If that is true then I for one can't wait to attend a public meeting, do what I can to help and, hopefully, get the club back on it's feet and where it belongs. Definitely not with clubs new to the league and who have nothing like our 100 plus years of existence. (Please don't tell me we have only been running since 1997) 

If it is indeed true about BQ then can he come on here and confirm it. Bill did come on the forum just after the break up between him and the club and was completely honest. I know because I approached him after his comments and he confirmed it in person. He also told me that he still had Oldham at heart so, if it is indeed true that he would be willing to come back, I'm sure he would be more than happy to come on the forum and confirm it. If that happened I too would be very interested in attending a public meeting as that would put some meat on the bone that there is someone out there to take the club forward and not just forum talk.