Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Supporter

Dewsbury Match

136 posts in this topic

Pora mate, the way we are playing away there is every chance we will get beat at Dewsbury if we play like we have at Donny and York. But my point was that even though you have played poorly in some games recently you have a very confident outlook on your season. Yes Sheffield was a good win, but to assume you be way off relegation after the next few matches requires a big leap of faith IMO. To concede the points you did against London at home and then to be beat by us when you had us on the rack for the first 25 mins and we were 2 players light from the bench at the end does not follow your logic.

Personally unless our away form improves we will be hovering around the lower end of the table, I have no delusions about that but I don't and won't go on the haven site boasting Town are better than Haven. I could understand it if you were 10 clear with 3 games left, but your team aren't even playing with confidence and your supporters are drifting away. Or have I missed something?

Good post marra.

I hope he forgives me for quoting him, but Blind side Johnny (who often writes a lot of sense) wrote the following on the Dewsbury Forum.

"I don't know if everyone is avoiding the topic but we do have a very important game on Sunday. For me this represents a real opportunity to properly assess where the team are in terms of development and quality at the present time and how our coaching staff are responding to a number of setbacks. Workington are the sort of side that we would hope to defeat at home, having recently been promoted and having simlar budgetary constraints to ourselves. However last week they won a hard-fought contset away at Whitehaven, who are no pushovers on their own patch, and seem to be developing into a strong unit - still a bottom-half team, like ourselves, but one of the stronger ones.

Some weeks ago, when we were riding high (remember?) we would have been looking forward to this game with great confidence. Now, after some unsatisfactory results, we are just a little nervous about what the game will reveal. Do we have the mental fortitude to play well for 80 minutes? Have the players developed the maturity to stick with the game plan for the whole match? Will we be able to score in the second half? Will Karl Price still get picked? Etc.

I predict a tense game in front of a sparse crowd".

Like many of us thinks, this is a game that can go either way. The real Town can take the points.

The last line is the key , we have the quality match winners scattered throughout a solid 17 to win these games. I just wish the real town would come out to play more often on a weekly basis , and for more than spells in a single game . We have a championship level squad , we just need to find the consistency , mentality on the road and smarts on the paddock and we can cement our place and more in this league . I still think those smarts will only come from tinkering with the halves .

The last line is the key , we have the quality match winners scattered throughout a solid 17 to win these games. I just wish the real town would come out to play more often on a weekly basis , and for more than spells in a single game . We have a championship level squad , we just need to find the consistency , mentality on the road and smarts on the paddock and we can cement our place and more in this league . I still think those smarts will only come from tinkering with the halves .

and it shows in the points for column in the league - 2nd lowest scored so far in this league. 

and it shows in the points for column in the league - 2nd lowest scored so far in this league. 

To be honest we under achieved last season in a poor league and we seem to have carried that over to this season for whatever reason.

Many fans want to see a half-back that takes on and challenges the defensive line more consistently than we get at the moment but to date there doesn't seem to be any moves to bring that about.     Our defence cannot be faulted, the last seconds at Haven confirm that when two prop forwards made the initial tackle on the Haven winger to prevent a score.     We really do need the whole squad to step up to the plate together and when they do that we will win games that to date we are struggling to just and so win.

That's right wonder , and if you equate that with the amount of territory and sets in the opposition 20 we often have it tells the story .

yes i'd agree with that David especially on the halves tinkering and consistency. Also a bit of work on the kicking game would help.

Our halves have tried to break the line Keith but don't have the speed to go right through it . Lupton does fine for a loose forward playing there , I can't fault his efforts , but the other two aren't giving other teams nightmares are they . We need a new combo to get full payback off our packs dominance , to me it's staring us in the face . Callum Phillips and our top Aussie who is getting seen about as much as Lord Lucan where he is now . Free Lupton up to do his own thing without all the pressure being on him solely to pull the strings ,and we have more prongs of genuine threat . We have good quality potential match winners , we need to get them all in the key positions where they're influencing the game .

To be honest we under achieved last season in a poor league and we seem to have carried that over to this season for whatever reason.

Many fans want to see a half-back that takes on and challenges the defensive line more consistently than we get at the moment but to date there doesn't seem to be any moves to bring that about.     Our defence cannot be faulted, the last seconds at Haven confirm that when two prop forwards made the initial tackle on the Haven winger to prevent a score.     We really do need the whole squad to step up to the plate together and when they do that we will win games that to date we are struggling to just and so win.

Sorry Keith our two poor performances at York and Donny there was some very lack lustre tackling. Normally our defence is ok but for whatever reason it can lapse around the fringes and most teams try to exploit us there especially on our right side.

Carcassone hit that side a lot over the 80. Troy Savage had a stormer . Now there's an outside back . Generally we have a good defence but now and again it's gone AWOL . Doubly important away when your under the cosh more .

In passing I'm shocked that Premier Sports aren't showing any game tonight in a full league week , and one that includes the biggest league game of the season in Fev v Fax . Surely it's a no brainer to show that and use it to promote the game and the league . Very strange

getting into the oppostion 20 is never a problem . Its when you get there that i think certain playes try to hard and dont let the ball do the hard work. Carter for all his great work is one of those players who sometimes try's to hard add to that a few more trying to barge over when the option of the overlap is stirring them in the face. Direction from the halves is what is needed and hard work on the training ground will see it work itself out.

Ive watched a couple of training sessions this year and its not for want of coaching - consistantly hitting the egdes during training, just need to convert this into the game plan and stick to it.

Sorry Keith our two poor performances at York and Donny there was some very lack lustre tackling. Normally our defence is ok but for whatever reason it can lapse around the fringes and most teams try to exploit us there especially on our right side.

I agree Voodooguru but since the York match I think we have improved our defence which, as you say, was none existant in those matches.   The right hand side of defence has been our achilles heel for some time now but last year we got away with it by scoring more points.   It gets highlighted more this season because we are not scoring points.     Several games last year we were 16, 18 points down through poor defence but we were able to come back and outscore the opponents and we tended to forget our poor that defence was.    

Do they try different combinations on the training paddock ?? Gelling new partnerships in the key creative area needs work in training.

the wins all 3 of them have been won by the skin of your teeth and a derby game doesnt reflect a seasons games its totally different dewsbury will be fired up at home  and looking to get back in the saddle and collect all three points without giving a bonus point away. 11 up

This is  choccy, isn't it ?

I like Andy Morris a lot but he's so slow off the mark he's easily exposed. His defence is good but I think he's easily kept at arms length, deffo get luppy to loose kayle and Calum at half back olstrom spelling Matty at 9.

I would like to see Hume in centre with mossop, 10 games in and coyle still doesn't look fit, free up his wages for someone else.

the wins all 3 of them have been won by the skin of your teeth and a derby game doesnt reflect a seasons games its totally different dewsbury will be fired up at home and looking to get back in the saddle and collect all three points without giving a bonus point away. 11 up

Skin of our teeth???

Beat barrow 38 10,

Beat haven by 28 16,

Swinton was skin of teeth but I'll take anything away from home.

League table doesn't lie but I'm not worried about relegation and for what it's worth neither should haven be.

Haven fans should be banned off here...talk siht and are boring the kegs off me...

Good post there mate . And I like Morris to , but he is to slow off the mark and lacks the speed and fluency of movement needed in a centre at this level . He may be good from 5 yards but I can't see him being a threat from 45 . He has great assets and a physical prescence you can't buy , it's just how we use him to maximise his impact and minimise his propensity to injuries and cramps .

Its a forum lad and very much haven related people can have a opinion.ive posted that dews will beat you because dews was the topic.

Good post there mate . And I like Morris to , but he is to slow off the mark and lacks the speed and fluency of movement needed in a centre at this level . He may be good from 5 yards but I can't see him being a threat from 45 . He has great assets and a physical prescence you can't buy , it's just how we use him to maximise his impact and minimise his propensity to injuries and cramps .

hes put some size on in the last 18months - when he was 18 and on the england sqaud he was big and lean and boy could he shift. Not unusual for lads of his age to go too big but thats easily corrected - dont forget the lad is still only 20

Hope to see a few town fans at Dewsbury. How are town settling into the Championship? Any players we Dewsbury fans should look out for?

Yes that's the other side of the coin wonder. He's looking at the forwards now , but it's in his hands to get fitter and leaner to stay in the backs . Still young as you say and still an exciting prospect with a great physique .A long term prospect to hold on to and nurture with plenty of raw material to work on .

I like Andy Morris a lot but he's so slow off the mark he's easily exposed. His defence is good but I think he's easily kept at arms length, deffo get luppy to loose kayle and Calum at half back olstrom spelling Matty at 9.

I would like to see Hume in centre with mossop, 10 games in and coyle still doesn't look fit, free up his wages for someone else.

Shock horror Coyle was ###### at Widnes does he still play with his head down?Very average halfback.