Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gingerjon

Farage poles the electorate

341 posts in this topic

Then why do car owners pay tax? Why is there a tax on petrol?

And don't give me "it's because of emissions" because if the emissions were zero, they would tax anyway.

Some car owners pay VED, some do not. Quite a lot of cars have £0 VED.

I believe lots of things are taxed and that tax applied to the treasury pot. You might just as well say smokers subsidise roads or that motorists subsidise drone warfare.

Some car owners pay VED, some do not. Quite a lot of cars have £0 VED.

I believe lots of things are taxed and that tax applied to the treasury pot. You might just as well say smokers subsidise roads or that motorists subsidise drone warfare.

We don't use drones. Unless you mean purely reconnaissance ones.

Motorists subsidise a lot of things but a lot of things subsidise motorists. Overall, it probably works out about even.

The rest of the economy subsidises bicycles.

I don't have a problem with that but this guy obviously does.

Northern Sol and this UKIP guy highlight the ignorance that a lot of motorists have when it comes to the old and false argument that cyclists shouldn't be on the road because they don't pay road tax [sic]. So yes, it is a howler. British cycling claim that over 90% of their members also drive.

A study has shown (linked in the road.cc article) that cycling is a net positive and driving a net negative. The more people who cycle, the less congestion there is on the road and the more healthy people are. The road network will not be able to cope as the volume of motorised traffic increases and one feasible solution is to make it attractive and safer for people to cycle.

The RAF will be confused by this having set up a unit to fly armed drones.

We have armed drones flying over Afghan 'piloted' from near Lincoln.

So no cyclists drive cars?

Good point. I have a car and a bike.

I also eat food which has been delivered to the shop by lorries on the road network.

I also eat food which has been delivered to the shop by lorries on the road network.

Absolutely. The same people probably make a similar argument when it comes to subsidising railways "I don't travel by rail so I shouldn't have to pay towards it" without thinking it through. 

Just think, more cyclists means less congestion means quicker deliveries means cheaper food. Everyone's a winner.

The reports I have seen specifically stated that the UK's drones were unarmed as yet. They have the capability to carry (I think) 500lb of weaponry. I know the people interviewed would say that, but I have no evidence to the contrary. If you have, I am happy to be corrected.

The reports I have seen specifically stated that the UK's drones were unarmed as yet. They have the capability to carry (I think) 500lb of weaponry. I know the people interviewed would say that, but I have no evidence to the contrary. If you have, I am happy to be corrected.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-22320275

Northern Sol and this UKIP guy highlight the ignorance that a lot of motorists have when it comes to the old and false argument that cyclists shouldn't be on the road because they don't pay road tax [sic]. So yes, it is a howler. British cycling claim that over 90% of their members also drive.

A study has shown (linked in the road.cc article) that cycling is a net positive and driving a net negative. The more people who cycle, the less congestion there is on the road and the more healthy people are. The road network will not be able to cope as the volume of motorised traffic increases and one feasible solution is to make it attractive and safer for people to cycle.

I agree with the second part but remember that people on the right do not agree with this kind of logic by and large. It's not a howler but a point-of-view that you don't agree with.

Your first sentence might be true generally but probably isn't true of Cambridge; remember that it is a student city.

We sent an unarmed one to Bulgaria.

I agree with the second part but remember that people on the right do not agree with this kind of logic by and large. It's not a howler but a point-of-view that you don't agree with.

Your first sentence might be true generally but probably isn't true of Cambridge; remember that it is a student city.

You don't think that a candidate for local council elections should know how the up keep of the roads is funded?

Good point re Cambridge.

No matter what you views are on ukip, over the last few weeks the number of people that have said they will be voting for them has surprised me.  People I know, both to the left and right of the political spectrum have all mentioned their despair with the main parties and seem to think voting for ukip in the local elections will 'send a message' to the big boys.  I think ukip might just do a lot better than people think.

No matter what you views are on ukip, over the last few weeks the number of people that have said they will be voting for them has surprised me. People I know, both to the left and right of the political spectrum have all mentioned their despair with the main parties and seem to think voting for ukip in the local elections will 'send a message' to the big boys. I think ukip might just do a lot better than people think.

I agree, and it does disturb me.

UKIP may well do well in places in the local elections in the way that the Lib Dems and independents do, as a protest against the main parties, but when it comes to parliamentary elections, this Farage-o of a party will  not get a single MP. And given the limitations on what local councils can actually do,  having  lots of UKIP councilors  will only expose them for what they are.

You don't think that a candidate for local council elections should know how the up keep of the roads is funded?

I don't think it matters that much. Local councillors don't have anything to do with collecting car taxes.

UKIP may well do well in places in the local elections in the way that the Lib Dems and independents do, as a protest against the main parties, but when it comes to parliamentary elections, this Farage-o of a party will  not get a single MP. And given the limitations on what local councils can actually do,  having  lots of UKIP councilors  will only expose them for what they are.

As happened when the BNP won a few seats.

No matter what you views are on ukip, over the last few weeks the number of people that have said they will be voting for them has surprised me.  People I know, both to the left and right of the political spectrum have all mentioned their despair with the main parties and seem to think voting for ukip in the local elections will 'send a message' to the big boys.  I think ukip might just do a lot better than people think.

Oh, I've no doubt they will pick up a fair few votes in places, but a few council seats is the nearest they'll ever come to power.

For all the disturbing views they hold, they are not as sinister as groupings like the BNP and EDL. Just sit back and try and enjoy the way their successful candidates will inevitably humiliate themselves.

I don't think it matters that much. Local councillors don't have anything to do with collecting car taxes.

Councils do have a responsibility for all adopted roads though. It'd be quite useful for a councillor to have the first clue about where the money to maintain them comes from.

They've had a couple of clear chances to get an MP - standing against Bercow in 2010 and Eastleigh last year. They may very well get another shot. What they are probably going have to do is something similar to the Greens and focus very directly on one or two likely locations.