Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jim_57

ESL V NRL - English selection trial

14 posts in this topic

With all the recent movement of English players to the NRL it gave me a thought of a potential selection trial for England. Super League based players Vs NRL based players. Obviously there aren't enough numbers yet to make a full NRL based team so any gaps could be filled with Super League based players under the age of 21.

Here's the potential teams for 2014:

Super League XVII

1 Z Hardacre

2 R Hall

3 K Watkins

4 L Cudjoe

5 J Charnley

6 K Sinfield

7 D Brough

8 E Crabtree

9 J Roby

10 B Westwood

11 G Ellis

12 L Farrell

13 S O'Loughlin

14 J Lomax

15 R Bailey

16 A Morley

17 J Jones-Buchanan

18 D Houghton

NRL XVII

1 S Tomkins (Rumoured)

2 T Briscoe (Rumoured)

3 J Reed

4 J Jones (U21)

5 M Russell

6 G Widdop

7 R Chase (Rumoured)

8 J Graham

9 D Clark (U21)

10 L Mossop

11 G Hock

12 M Cooper

13 S Burgess

14 S Moore

15 G Burgess

16 L Burgess

17 J Bateman (U21)

18 D Addy (U21)

Would be a fairly even matchup IMO and gives more English players a good buyout compared to the current Exiles concept.

Thoughts?

Interesting idea but would it be wise to potentially injure your team mates before the big tournament

May be difficult logistically, but nice idea.

Also, and much more generally, we do need to be careful about a them and us divide with the Australian based players.

Briscoe is confirmation with Cronulla, isn't he?

a few months ago i came up with the idea of having a 'England exiles' team based in the NRL having some 'Team england' training camps/get togethers during the NRL season....as well as the possibility of the England Exiles team playing games against the likes of PNG,fiji etc....

a few months ago i came up with the idea of having a 'England exiles' team based in the NRL having some 'Team england' training camps/get togethers during the NRL season....as well as the possibility of the England Exiles team playing games against the likes of PNG,fiji etc....

firstly, the NRL clubs will not be pleased with risking players for an Eng v Eng match.

I do like your idea R'spud of an England exiles team playing against an islander nation over next years southern "representative weekend".

In fact i think it is great!

With the potential development of the 'rep weekend' here in Australia - eg. Anzac Test/City V Country, Tonga V Samoa there is no reason you could not have a England Exiles V PNG or someone else in the region. Even V Lebanon in Sydney (which would pull a crowd)

Would be great opportunity to bring together the English players in Australia (draw some others that are eligible as well out) plus have a good game V PNG. Win/Win.

and theres enough ex-pats in sydney to draw a decent attendance....its defo something the RFL should look at...which means we won't :lol:

Why not just call it 'England' bolster the side with some UK-based players and take on PNG?

It'd be a welcome addition to the rep weekend

ww might have to call it the full england team anyway and make it a official test to ensure the NRL clubs release the players...they have too under RLIF LAW..

and i don't think we need to bolster it with uk players as theres enough englishman un the aussie game,or will be next year,to put together a 20man squad...

ww might have to call it the full england team anyway and make it a official test to ensure the NRL clubs release the players...they have too under RLIF LAW..

and i don't think we need to bolster it with uk players as theres enough englishman un the aussie game,or will be next year,to put together a 20man squad...

So they should all be picked by default? What happens if there are injuries? Do we start scouring NSW Group 18 for English backpackers?

Why not just call it 'England' bolster the side with some UK-based players and take on PNG?

It'd be a welcome addition to the rep weekend

Thank you. Stop making up rep sides and play intermationals

Thank you. Stop making up rep sides and play intermationals

Thank you. Not sure why we're always trying to reinvent the wheel!