Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Blackpool Hawk

40th year anniversary of the closing of Parkside

53 posts in this topic

Stewpot - Who was your great uncle?

George Dennis. He was always known as Teddy within the family. he came from my Grandfather's side. My Grandad used to take him training on Middleton clearings and kick a turnip or swede for him to chase, I was told he was very fast in his day, as we know he still holds the record with 7 trys v Northern, that was a year to the day before my mum was born.

I became good friends with Hector Crowther in his later years and he remembered how quick George was, he said when he broke away some backs never chased him.

He emigrated to Australia in later life but I  used to see his youngest brother, Richard, who would take me for fitness training when I was a teenager, he had been a weighlifter in his younger days.

Luckily I cam across a photo of the 1933 cup winning team of which he was a part (he scored one of the tries in the SF) and some footage on YouTube, but not sure he is on it.

Stuart

I haven't seen the you tube video so I can't comment, but he is on a video from Pathe news or the Other big news company of the day. It shows Morrell scoring at Wembley with George outside him. He was from York wasn't he and I believe there was another Dennis, [initial was S, I believe] played for York. George was later transferred to York and played in the same team.