Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sports Prophet

Anzac Day crowds

48 posts in this topic

fantastic to see great crowd figures in Australia for the two Anzac day matches. 

Roosters v Dragons: 40K

Storm v Warriors: 25K

How would a St George's day fixture go for us here? Has this been tried before?

In my mind it would be a very good way to bring national pride together with our sport.

We're not allowed to have national pride in this country. Anything to do with St George's cross is now apparently considered racist according to the PC brigade.

We're not allowed to have national pride in this country. Anything to do with St George's cross is now apparently considered racist according to the PC brigade.

I got drunk on Bombardier whilst wearing a St George's cross hat on Tuesday.

And I did so with a member of the Labour party.

In Central London.

Opposite a mosque.

My lad is 15 this May and never been taught the National anthem at school.

In Central London.

Opposite a mosque.

I was a drunk Bombardier on many occasions :wacko:

I was a drunk Bombardier on many occasions :wacko:

Hopefully not whilst on duty, soldier ...

Wahey, it's mini Wolford.

I work at a school that shares the name if our patron. We did a parade, which was nice. But people stopped and asked me what we were protesting!

There are only 29 words, teach him yourself you lazy sod!

I'm 28 in July and never been taught the National anthem at school.

I went for some bottles of English real ale from Morrisons on Tuesday and was served by a Scottish lady, no doubt the jonny foreigners were working cos it weren't "their" day. Pfft.

GaaawdsaverQueeeen.

I'm 28 in July and never been taught the National anthem at school.

I'm 93, tha' knows, and I only like the verse about socking it to the jocklanders.

I'm fortymumblemumble years old... I can't remember if I was taught it in school or not.

There are only 29 words, teach him yourself you lazy sod!

With only 29 words it makes you wonder how we get six verses.

They always had a few crates on the guns.

Since it's not a holiday, it'd be hard to get games on. For a bumper bank holiday crowd in this country, see Good Friday.

Half this forum didn't have school when they were young, and it was another Queen of England.

In Central London.

Opposite a mosque.

Was it the Volunteer pub on North Baker St?

The English anthem (Land of Hope and Glory) or the UK anthem (God Save our Queen)?

Anzac day reflects national heroism, st George's day represents an opportunity for beer and card companies to increase profits.

It's a sad fact that a lot of England isn't really interested in St George's day even if they tried to make it into something big. If there was genuine support for it, we wouldn't need to manufacture patriotism around it, it would have happened naturally. I must admit in my school I was shocked we didn't do anything this year, especially seeing as though they generally do something for every little thing - especially St Patrick's.

I think it's because most countries that go mad about their Saints days are often smaller nations that are dominated by another. It's used as an expression of nationalism in opposition to a bigger country. I don't think it's coincidence that nations like France and the USA tend to have holidays centred around big events in their history rather than necessarily as just a celebration of national pride.

I think we'd be better going down this route, having a bank holiday to commemorate our roles in the wars, on VE day or something.

That said, the NRL have definitely done a good job of organising a big round around the ANZAC day celebrations. It's a bit like the heritage round, a genuinely good idea that fans over here would love as well.

I would be hard pressed to find 40,000 people that would attend a normal Super League game. Not withstanding Magic weekend where that is a combination of fans from all over converging to the same arena.

That is great attendance for a NRL game....a few weeks ago there was a crowd around 51,000 at Bulldogs vs Souths which is huge crowd for a normal NRL game plus the TV attendance. 

The NRL's crowds are just growing season on season. 

Let's leave the chest thumping and flag waving to the yanks.

If I walked about with a swastika tattoo on my chest people would think me a racist, but I could be a practicing Buddhist for all they know. It's PC gone mad, we're not allowed to practice Buddhism in this cultural marxist hell hole!