Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bucklerscott

EQUALITY IN THE GAME

44 posts in this topic

See, the reason why RL does not make the inroads that it should do has nothing to do with a poor image nationally or unwelcoming clubs run by troglodytes it is all because the RFL is throwing money at gays. You really couldn't make it up

unbelievable and really disappointing thread.

first of all...the developemnt staff supporting the sessions are Salford City Reds Foundation staff.  they promote RL in Mancheser, Trafford and Salford.  its a new Manchester team and hence why shouldnt it get support?  I'm not sure where the RFL bashing has come from!

second, what's it got to do with safeguarding?  its an adult team.

third. it IS perfectly OK for a gay man or woman to coach children.

unbelievable and really disappointing thread.

first of all...the developemnt staff supporting the sessions are Salford City Reds Foundation staff.  they promote RL in Mancheser, Trafford and Salford.  its a new Manchester team and hence why shouldnt it get support?  I'm not sure where the RFL bashing has come from!

second, what's it got to do with safeguarding?  its an adult team.

third. it IS perfectly OK for a gay man or woman to coach children.

Well said.

Thats your opinion and your entitled to it many will disagree , at least I have the strength of conviction to air mine .

There is a place for everything and everything in its place.

I will apologise if any one is offended by my views .

Thats your opinion and your entitled to it many will disagree , at least I have the strength of conviction to air mine .

There is a place for everything and everything in its place.

I will apologise if any one is offended by my views .

If there was a junior team in Gareth Thomas neighbourhood and he offered to pass on his vast knowledge of rugby both league and union by offering to coach the said team, are you seriously suggesting they should tell him not to bother because he is gay, the very same person who is an official ambasador for the RWLC.

One's sexual preference is not a learned behaviour. And if the said team was a womens team, what objection would you voice then.

I am not offended but I think your mind set is somewhere in the 1920's.

They made some poor decisions with regards to some appointments and got their priorities wrong. Hopefully they're now addressing this.

I agree that development is vitally important, but as I said, it doesn't have to be an either/or choice

I wish we could have both, but in these financially testing times IMO junior development officers would be my choice.

Yikes, I thought this was a comedy thread at first, but apparently not.

Let's all just have a big manly hug shall we?

I concede on reflection that my views are not in with modern thinking and can understand the criticism levelled at me , having now read literature on the subject matter i think it is prudent to offer my unreserved apology to anyone I have offended, sometimes your heart rules your head .

I concede on reflection that my views are not in with modern thinking and can understand the criticism levelled at me , having now read literature on the subject matter i think it is prudent to offer my unreserved apology to anyone I have offended, sometimes your heart rules your head .

I'm not offended mate, I've got a gay daughter and sister-in-law

My father hates gays (He was grabbed as a child but lucky for him his uncle was near and the rest is history)

Live and let live, I don't expect anything from a gay person and I also don't expect to give them more because they are gay.

TaxiEgg, you are far from alone in having that opinion, and I'm glad to see you appear to have had a rethink on the matter.

It is sad that our sport like most other sports, is suffering in the economic climate, and therefore money has to be spread thinly, or even taken from one place to fund another, for the estimated bast impact. 

With regard to homosexuality, I will add one point to those already made. Have you ever considered the fact that some of the coaches, players, fans you know are gay, but through fear of opinion and losing the very job or sport they love and are good at, they chose to stay locked in a world of silence? I know several and sadly they feel they have to hide it.

Credit to you for thinking about what you've said and looking into things independently.

As others have said TaxiEgg deserves credit for the considered research and rethink, it is important that we do challenge these views on here in particular as this board may be the first port of call to new players/fans in developing areas and we want to seem welcoming

Why do you think it is right ?

What should a persons sexuality have anything to do with their ability to coach ANY side,the fact that someone is gay should not exclude them from coaching.

Wow, I am new to using the Total RL forum and started the post in the hope I could gain opinion on the RFL's investment into established clubs based on the Boots n All segment on Canalsiders. I am astonished it has gained so much debate. The simple truth is we sould always promote equality, whether it is race or sexuality, who cares! The more we have playing league the better, however, there is an issue still surrounding the fundemental aim or objective the RFL have; is it to increase participation at junior or senior or is it to improve, support and fund established clubs in the hope of promoting a better player pool in which we can have a stronger professional and international setup?

We will never compete with footballl, forget it, we will never change opinion in the south, forget it, we will never have devolved nations who have league as a main sport, forget it, but we will always have a strong northern and midlands participation.  So support your Rochdale's, Dudley Hills and Wigan St Patricks as this is where the future lies!

Wow, I am new to using the Total RL forum and started the post in the hope I could gain opinion on the RFL's investment into established clubs based on the Boots n All segment on Canalsiders. I am astonished it has gained so much debate. The simple truth is we sould always promote equality, whether it is race or sexuality, who cares! The more we have playing league the better, however, there is an issue still surrounding the fundemental aim or objective the RFL have; is it to increase participation at junior or senior or is it to improve, support and fund established clubs in the hope of promoting a better player pool in which we can have a stronger professional and international setup?

We will never compete with footballl, forget it, we will never change opinion in the south, forget it, we will never have devolved nations who have league as a main sport, forget it, but we will always have a strong northern and midlands participation.  So support your Rochdale's, Dudley Hills and Wigan St Patricks as this is where the future lies!

We have changed opinion in the South and the Midlands and the North East and Scotland, Wales and Ireland. One of the champion schools teams this last season was Howard of Effingham school from London who beat a Castleford team in the final and a Welsh schools team has won in the past also.

There is a wide spread of Rl clubs in London, the Midlands, the North east and the South West, North and South Wales.

Just because the media ignore it does not mean there is no attitude and opinion changing going on in significant non original heartland areas of the UK.

We will never compete with footballl, forget it, we will never change opinion in the south, forget it, we will never have devolved nations who have league as a main sport, forget it, but we will always have a strong northern and midlands participation. So support your Rochdale's, Dudley Hills and Wigan St Patricks as this is where the future lies!

And again...

what investment by the RFL in Canalsiders?

The east Manchester facilities are not RFL funded. The development officers at the sessions are SCR Foundation staff.

Things happen in RL without the RFL doing it! Celebrate it. The idea that everything that happens in the game is in some way done by the RFL and that by it taking place, some other part of the game is in some way losing out is, quite frankly, ridiculous.

I don't think the RFL invested a penny in Canalsiders. They just allowed them to play RL.

The Midlands in no more a traditional home of RL than London is.