Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Daddy

New championship clubs a breath of fresh air

52 posts in this topic

Rochdale Hornets are often referred to as a "once great club" which, as much as it pains me to say it, they never really were.  Historically, Oldham though have always been much stronger largely through a great amateur set-up with top filight teams such  as Saddleworth Rangers, Saint Annes and Waterhead with Higginshaw, Fitton Hill and Shaw close behind.  This provided Oldham (and Rochdale Hornets) with a lot of good players.

Recently, the amateur clubs in Rochdale, spearheaded by Mayfield, have been producing good numbers of quality players, so much so that Super League clubs like Wigan, St Helens, Bradford and Salford now regularly feature Rochdale based lads in their youth and academy set-ups.

Hopefully this, and the more sensibly organised professional club can see RL "kick-on" in Rochdale - and also Bury and Bolton.

Rochdale Hornets are often referred to as a "once great club" which, as much as it pains me to say it, they never really were.  Historically, Oldham though have always been much stronger largely through a great amateur set-up with top filight teams such  as Saddleworth Rangers, Saint Annes and Waterhead with Higginshaw, Fitton Hill and Shaw close behind.  This provided Oldham (and Rochdale Hornets) with a lot of good players.

Recently, the amateur clubs in Rochdale, spearheaded by Mayfield, have been producing good numbers of quality players, so much so that Super League clubs like Wigan, St Helens, Bradford and Salford now regularly feature Rochdale based lads in their youth and academy set-ups.

Hopefully this, and the more sensibly organised professional club can see RL "kick-on" in Rochdale - and also Bury and Bolton.

I thought about making this point...

The occasional high point (Challenge Cup, Lancashire Cup) punctuating years of genuine struggle would be more accurate. Oldham on the other hand,,,

That said, I do think that this level could be useful for established clubs such as Roughyeds and Hornets to regroup and rebuild after periods of decline. Travel will always be a problem if this division is going to be the entry point for southern clubs.