Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WRknight

Leigh Players not being paid....

35 posts in this topic

Leigh coach Paul Rowley revealed his players hadn't received their match payments for at least a month, following the 20-0 win over Batley at the weekend.

The Centurions bounced back from consecutive 60-10 defeats against Wigan and Halifax to record a fine victory over the Bulldogs, which moves them level on points with their opponents in the Championship table.

It all came after a meeting with directors on Saturday revealed that the players wouldn't be paid their match payments, dating back to the win over Barrow on March 21, some seven games ago.

Rowley said: "The boys got told they've not been paid, and they weren't being paid for today (Sunday), and it's in serious doubt going forward. Some of these players are owed a considerable amount.

"It would have been quite easy to stand up and feel angry and cheated. But the boys all stood up and asked how they can help, and what can they do to support the club.

"It's not a pleasant experience, and it's been a tough couple of weeks.

"They had a hundred reasons not to perform, but they had pride, respect, friendship - all things in life money can't buy.

"I never believe they have enough people coming to watch them. It's a game of sacrifices, and it's never even nearly matched by the rewards they get."

Leigh are no stranger to financial strife, and nearly went of business at the end of 2011.

Last month, chairman Keith Freer revealed the club was suffering from cash flow problems, and that crowds were down by 400, and asked for local businesses to pledge their support for the club.

A lot could depend on how far Rowley's men can go in the Northern Rail Cup, with the draw for the last 16 due to take place on Wednesday.

Once again that club who are quick to slag our clubs off over dual reg have the begging bowls out. PATHETIC

I expect they'll announce the signings of a raft of ex-SL players they've out-bid more frugal clubs for soon then...

Leigh coach Paul Rowley revealed his players hadn't received their match payments for at least a month, following the 20-0 win over Batley at the weekend.

The Centurions bounced back from consecutive 60-10 defeats against Wigan and Halifax to record a fine victory over the Bulldogs, which moves them level on points with their opponents in the Championship table.

It all came after a meeting with directors on Saturday revealed that the players wouldn't be paid their match payments, dating back to the win over Barrow on March 21, some seven games ago.

Rowley said: "The boys got told they've not been paid, and they weren't being paid for today (Sunday), and it's in serious doubt going forward. Some of these players are owed a considerable amount.

"It would have been quite easy to stand up and feel angry and cheated. But the boys all stood up and asked how they can help, and what can they do to support the club.

"It's not a pleasant experience, and it's been a tough couple of weeks.

"They had a hundred reasons not to perform, but they had pride, respect, friendship - all things in life money can't buy.

"I never believe they have enough people coming to watch them. It's a game of sacrifices, and it's never even nearly matched by the rewards they get."

Leigh are no stranger to financial strife, and nearly went of business at the end of 2011.

Last month, chairman Keith Freer revealed the club was suffering from cash flow problems, and that crowds were down by 400, and asked for local businesses to pledge their support for the club.

A lot could depend on how far Rowley's men can go in the Northern Rail Cup, with the draw for the last 16 due to take place on Wednesday.

Don't want to sound fussy, but in future could you please link to the story on our website rather than copying and pasting the full article please?

:)

Am i right in thinking they pay win bonus,s on top of their actually winning pay? If they do they must be crazy paying extra on top, no wonder they get in a mess.

Once again that club who are quick to slag our clubs off over dual reg have the begging bowls out. PATHETIC

Whose asking you to cough up any funds? Can't seem to find it in the OP.

I expect they'll announce the signings of a raft of ex-SL players they've out-bid more frugal clubs for soon then...

Put your claws away feline.

I wouldn't help Leigh out if I was a multi millionaire.

You never want to see any club in trouble but it's hard to feel sorry for them, particularly after the stick they gave us earlier in the year, and I'd be lying if I said I was suprised

They belittle clubs like ours all the time, but maybe it's about time they got off the high horse

Come on we all knew it was going to happen again.

No one but indirectly our club did bail you out once with an RFL loan didn't we . Get someone in who can manage the club not just spend money

Michael Worrincey anyone!!!!

Michael Worrincey anyone!!!!

To be fair, I think we were the real winners in that situation...

I wouldn't help Leigh out if I was a multi millionaire.

The feelings mutual but I did n`t ask you to contribute to my club, nor will I contribute towards your club via the turnstyle.

No one but indirectly our club did bail you out once with an RFL loan didn't we . Get someone in who can manage the club not just spend money

So indirectly as a club what did it actually cost York?

Come on we all knew it was going to happen again.

Wow a soothsayer..........give me the Euro numbers for tomorrow.

You'd only waste it trying to get into Super League.

Sorry Bart but I think your numbers have already come up, if you get the drift. :rolleyes:

It happens every two years and unless you sort it, it will happen again until everyone gets fed up, I wont give you the lottery numbers im a Yorkshireman and would rather help my own club :lol:

The feelings mutual but I did n`t ask you to contribute to my club, nor will I contribute towards your club via the turnstyle.

Are you rubber and is he glue too?

Sorry Bart but I think your numbers have already come up, if you get the drift. :rolleyes:;

It`s like being around poor imitations of Tommy Cooper ....Chuckles....Good luck on sunday.