Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dave T

RL World - new editor

26 posts in this topic

Not sure if it has been announced here, but John Drake will no longer be editor of RLW and has been succeeded by Gareth Walker.

I'll reserve judgement on GW, but he seems to have gone down the same old route as many of the RL journos knocking around, telling the general public how bad things are in RL at every opportunity.

Will that mean JD won't be on here in future, would be a shame.

John said to someone on Twitter that he's taking over the revamp of TRL so I don't think he'll leave here that easily!

Unexpected.

I liked RLW before John got the gig but felt that he improved things.

John Drake is the best thing to happen to RLW. The whole look and feel of the magazine has improved tenfold during his tenure.

He can step back knowing he's done a great job.

Gareth will get to pick up a mag that really looks the part now and add his own journalistic edge. I'm sure he'll do a great job.

Blimey, I'm blushing now after reading this. :blush:

Thanks for the kind comments on the mag, much appreciated.

You won't be getting rid of me on here though, far from it. My new job is to develop TRL into something more than just a forum. Watch this space. I'll try not to break anything in the process!

Meanwhile, everybody rush out and buy this on Friday. It's certain to become a collector's item (in my mum's house at least).

main_rlw_JUNE2013.jpg

As I'm an RLW nerd, and no disrespect to Webby, I'm gonna look back over the past few years and tot up the clubs featured on the cover. Yes I'm that cool, but this is the first Widnes player I can remember in a long time, the last Bull I think was Iestyn Harris. Spread the love around a bit more! But anyway, I need to do the leg-work.

Oh and Webby, it'll also be a collectors item in Viking Warrior's house too, are the pages wipe clean? He'll certainly make a finish line anyway.

I do hope the new dude is as forthcoming on this 'ere board and is open to suggestions. Like not putting anything, like grass imagery, behind the text.

You won't be getting rid of me on here though, far from it. My new job is to develop TRL into something more than just a forum. Watch this space. I'll try not to break anything in the process!

Meanwhile, everybody rush out and buy this on Friday. It's certain to become a collector's item (in my mum's house at least).

main_rlw_JUNE2013.jpg

You've certainly finished on an attractive cover shot!

He has just said on FB he is staying on here to revamp toatalrl

Not sure if it has been announced here, but John Drake will no longer be editor of RLW and has been succeeded by Gareth Walker.

I'll reserve judgement on GW, but he seems to have gone down the same old route as many of the RL journos knocking around, telling the general public how bad things are in RL at every opportunity.

Will that mean JD won't be on here in future, would be a shame.

He has just said on FB he is staying on here to revamp toatalrl

He also said it just four posts that way ^^^  :D

5 hours time difference,just come on eating me brek

He also said it just four posts that way ^^^  :D

The magazine has grown in quality ad professionalism since the enjoyable nut clunky 'Open Rugby' days. John's taken it probably the biggest step forward during his tenure.

It's an interesting challenge that's for sure. I think that twitter has by an large destroyed the forum element of this site as a place where rumours break first. It's a shame in a way but that's how it is. I'd love to see a proper mobile app from TRL that gave live scores accurately and reliably (unlike the Love Rugby League one) for all levels of the professional game, and that gave stories/news feeds/squad announcements for the professional leagues WITH an editorial opinion rather than simply regurgitated press releases. The issue with the LRL app is that it's patchy in terms of score accuracy, and when users link to a story on an i-phone then the format of said story doesn't fit on an iphone screen without scrolling.

There are plenty of places to read press releases, I'd hate TRL to become just another one of these. Simularly let's have some real editorial opinions; I thought on balance player W had a poor game because he did X and Y during the second half which resulted in Z happening.

I guess the challenge is having a site/place that isn't just a cost centre but a money maker. Good luck with that.

As I'm an RLW nerd, and no disrespect to Webby, I'm gonna look back over the past few years and tot up the clubs featured on the cover. Yes I'm that cool, but this is the first Widnes player I can remember in a long time, the last Bull I think was Iestyn Harris. Spread the love around a bit more! But anyway, I need to do the leg-work.

The proper leg work can wait but the last Bull or two;

Sam Burgess, October 2009

Iestyn Harris, July 2008.

No-one else will care, but considering it's supposed to be all things to all teams...

Oh and Webby, it'll also be a collectors item in Viking Warrior's house too, are the pages wipe clean? He'll certainly make a finish line anyway.

Lol

Harry Edgar

Graham Clay

Tony Hannan

Tim Butcher

Richard dela Riviere

John Drake

Graeth Walker

No-one else will care, but considering it's supposed to be all things to all teams...

It's a disgrace that Sir Brett K has never been on the front cover.

You said that just before the previous 10 site crashes.

Good luck in your new role John.

It's a disgrace that Sir Brett K has never been on the front cover.

It can't be coincidence you came over for that particular match. ;)

I can save you the legwork. I did keep a record of such things y'know, all proper organised like. :happy:

Here's a full list of who or what has been on the cover of RLW during my tenure as editor.

Mar-10    Season Launch/Super League Trophy

Apr-10    Jamie Rooney/Sam Tomkins/Paul Sculthorpe

May-10    Leon Pryce

Jun-10    Richie Myler

Jul-10    Steve McNamara

Aug-10    Gareth Ellis/Gareth Thomas

Sep-10    Tom Briscoe/Shaun Briscoe

Oct-10    Lee Briers/Adrian Morley

Nov-10    Face Off Comp Winners

Dec-10    Gareth Widdop

Jan-11    Benji Marshall

Feb-11    Sam Burgess

Mar-11    Season Launch/Super League Club Cheerleaders

Apr-11    Kevin Sinfield

May-11    Sean Long

Jun-11    Danny Buderus

Jul-11    Sean O'Loughlin

Aug-11    Lee Briers

Sep-11    Rangi Chase

Oct-11    Kirk Yeaman

Nov-11    Jamie Foster

Dec-11    Four Nations Captains

Jan-12    Golden Boot Nominees

Feb-12    Ross & Gary Divorty

Mar-12    Season Launch/Ryan Hall

Apr-12    Ben Westwood

May-12    Luke George/Leroy Cudjoe

Jun-12    Luke Patten

Jul-12    Top 25 Brits

Aug-12    Jeff Lima

Sep-12    Jon Wilkin

Oct-12    Brett Hodgson

Nov-12    Leeds/SL Winners

Dec-12    Gareth Ellis/England

Jan-13    World XIII

Feb-13    Golden Boot Winner (Kevin Sinfield)

Mar-13    Season Launch/Ryan Bailey(+Wigan/Warrington/Hull/Hull KR)

Apr-13    Lance Hohaia

May-13    Liam Farrell

Jun-13    Gareth Hock

Deciding what goes on the cover is always a big call, it's the one bit of the mag everyone will see. It's a mixture of deciding if there's a good enough story or feature to write about the subject; will it be topical at publication time; is the potential subject available and/or willing to do the photo shoot (not everybody we've wanted has been available, some covers would have looked very different otherwise but you can't always get what you want); is it likely to have decent sales potential (harsh reality of publishing life = the more fans a club has, the more potential customers the mag has if they get featured prominently).

Within certain constraints (there's an expectation to see the Challenge Cup or Grand Final winners on the cover after the respective finals, mess with that and you get letters from disgruntled readers, as I discovered! ) I tried to mix things up a bit whenever possible, not always wholly successfully at times I'd admit. Sometimes, what seems like a great idea in your head just doesn't work on the printed page. Sometimes, what feels like a great cover to us can also draw unexpected criticism once it is out there in the public domain. You never can tell.

I never treated the cover as 'buggins turn' though. It's true, guilty as charged, I never put Bradford on the cover during my stint. Given that I'm a Bradfordian myself, it wasn't due to any negative bias, but if we're being honest, the past three years haven't thrown up that many positive news stories from Odsal that would have produced a really good cover, in my view at any rate. In mitigation, we have run quite a few meaty features about the club inside the mag - including JJB's interview with Heath L'Estrange which was commissioned only days before the club almost went to the wall last year - and I did bring a former Bulls legend Robbie Hunter-Paul in as a regular columnist.

Ultimately, RLW is a general Rugby League interest mag, not tailored to appeal to any one set of fans specifically. At least that's how I saw it. The cover reflects that. It makes it a more difficult task to strike the right balance in deciding what to put in the mag, on the basis you can't cover every club in every issue and you can't please all the people all the time, but hopefully the end product is one that any Rugby League fan anywhere could pick up and find enough things of interest inside to enjoy and justify the £3.50 they paid for it.

That's how I remember my own experience of Open Rugby as a reader way back when. It hardly ever did features on my favourite club (I have vague memories of Keith Mumby being on the cover once) but I still bought every issue because I just loved reading about Rugby League, any and all aspects of it, as it was my favourite sport.

I wasn't expecting that! Cheers.

I do feel like I've been put in my place somewhat, but I know you didn't mean it like that. Anyway, if that' the only fault I can come up with then it's pretty damn good!!

(now where's Browny to pick the bones!)

I wasn't expecting that! Cheers.

I do feel like I've been put in my place somewhat, but I know you didn't mean it like that. Anyway, if that' the only fault I can come up with then it's pretty damn good!!

(now where's Browny to pick the bones!)

Ah no, my post certainly wasn't intended to put anyone 'in their place', that's not my style at all. Sorry if it came across that way.

I just wanted to shed a bit of light on the thinking process involved in choosing the various covers.

John, any truth in the rumour of a last minute cover change when the issue hits the stands in the morning to it saying simply "Up Yours Hindle"? ;)

John, any truth in the rumour of a last minute cover change when the issue hits the stands in the morning to it saying simply "Up Yours Hindle"? ;)

I'll say it is my cousin or summink. Although being a recently lapsed subscriber he could in theory print my full name and address...