Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Future is League

Is Tony Smith right about the play offs?

28 posts in this topic

How did the relegation decider against the other playoff games though in terms of BARB figures and crowds?

Playoff 1 - Leeds v Wire - 10,508 - TV, 252k

Playoff 2 - Bradford v Salford - 8,611 - TV, 186k

Playoff 3 - Hull v Saints - 14,038 - TV 221k

Playoff 4 - Bradford v Warrington - 12,302 - TV 252k

Playoff 5 - Hull v Bradford - 16,087 - TV 208k

Grand Final - Saints v Hull - 72,582 = TV 349k

So whilst the Cas v Wakefield game rightly got a lot of attention in the two towns and RL media - the reality is that it wasn't as attractive as any of the playoff games to the general public.

Playoff 1 - Leeds v Wire - 10,508 - TV, 252k

Playoff 2 - Bradford v Salford - 8,611 - TV, 186k

Playoff 3 - Hull v Saints - 14,038 - TV 221k

Playoff 4 - Bradford v Warrington - 12,302 - TV 252k

Playoff 5 - Hull v Bradford - 16,087 - TV 208k

Grand Final - Saints v Hull - 72,582 = TV 349k

So whilst the Cas v Wakefield game rightly got a lot of attention in the two towns and RL media - the reality is that it wasn't as attractive as any of the playoff games to the general public.

Just to be clear, Wakefield is a city and not a town.

I watched Aston Villa versus Sunderland last night, there were over 40 thousand at Villa park on a Monday night with the game on television.  When I went to watch Villa earlier in the season against Southampton I doubt there were more than about 25 thousand there.  Like it not, relegation is interesting.

I take your point about it perhaps not being attractive to a wider audience, but I think the sample being used is too small to be illustrative of any pattern.

Just to be clear, Wakefield is a city and not a town.

I watched Aston Villa versus Sunderland last night, there were over 40 thousand at Villa park on a Monday night with the game on television.  When I went to watch Villa earlier in the season against Southampton I doubt there were more than about 25 thousand there.  Like it not, relegation is interesting.

I take your point about it perhaps not being attractive to a wider audience, but I think the sample being used is too small to be illustrative of any pattern.

The sample was in response to a direct question.