Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wolford6

Racism

25 posts in this topic

Using her ethnicity as part of an insult seems racist to me. 

IMO its all very nuanced. I take the ###### out of my kiwi/Irish/Welsh/Aussie colleagues (and they reply in kind) with various jibes that if spoken in a different tone would be perceived as being racist by some.

Calling someone "an English cow" is about as polite as things get in Prestatyn.

Press what in?

Spent a weekend in Prestatyn in a Haven caravan resort. It was an experience. 

Using her ethnicity as part of an insult seems racist to me. 

IMO its all very nuanced. I take the ###### out of my kiwi/Irish/Welsh/Aussie colleagues (and they reply in kind) with various jibes that if spoken in a different tone would be perceived as being racist by some.

Hearing Aussies use the word "####" as freely and inoffensively as we use the word Aussie takes a bit of getting used to. It seems to have none of the unpleasant connotations that it has in the UK.

On the flip side the Aussies are often heroically racist about their own native aboriginal population.

I've no idea what that blanked word is. What do Aussies say Steve?

I've no idea what that blanked word is. What do Aussies say Steve?

Not allowed to say. This website is clearly run by a ####### bunch of ####, ######, ####, types who would prefer to ##### rather than ##### their own wives. Bunch of #### if you ask me. ############-### in the eye for the kind of #### honest ## who can't #### without ######. ## ###!

*slowly shakes head in sorrow*

Not allowed to say. This website is clearly run by a ####### bunch of ####, ######, ####, types who would prefer to ##### rather than ##### their own wives. Bunch of #### if you ask me. ############-### in the eye for the kind of #### honest ## who can't #### without ######. ## ###!

*slowly shakes head in sorrow*

We're all shaking our heads at that ####.

I can still remember my mother being spat at in the street and called an "effing Irish pig" I was 7 at the time, the abuser was a smartly dressed middle aged man in a suit.

I still feel angry when I think about it.

I wonder if he would have done it to your father ?thats if he was Irish

I can still remember my mother being spat at in the street and called an "effing Irish pig" I was 7 at the time, the abuser was a smartly dressed middle aged man in a suit.

I wonder if he would have done it to your father ?thats if he was Irish

He is, and I'm willing to bet he wouldn't have

I remember, in the early 70s, bumping into a bigger lad in Rochdale swimming baths.  He asked me what school I went to and when I told him (a non-church based one), he called me an "Orange b*****d" - I had no idea what he was talking about and had to ask my Dad !

I remember, in the early 70s, bumping into a bigger lad in Rochdale swimming baths. He asked me what school I went to and when I told him (a non-church based one), he called me an "Orange b*****d" - I had no idea what he was talking about and had to ask my Dad !

Apparently, Dale Winton still has the same problem.

I was abused, spat at, shot at and blown up twice while strolling down the street in Belfast and I've ended up OK.

I was abused, spat at, shot at and blown up twice while strolling down the street in Belfast and I've ended up OK.

Christ, that must have been one hell of a morning. B);)

Seriously, in the past ten years or so, the revelations that so much double-dealing was going on, must stick in the craw of every brave soldier that served there.

Having met you i can confirm you are indeed ok. You shouldn't have had to have that experience though. and arguably as a grown man you were more physically and psychologically robust than a 7 year old kid.

And this is comparable how?

I remember, in the early 70s, bumping into a bigger lad in Rochdale swimming baths. He asked me what school I went to and when I told him (a non-church based one), he called me an "Orange b*****d" - I had no idea what he was talking about and had to ask my Dad !

I was once told by a mate when a kid that if I wasn't a Catholic like him, then I must be a prostitute. :lol:

And this is comparable how?

You must be one highly strung person.

You were blown up? Twice?  :lol:

You were blown up? Twice? :lol:

Not something I find funny but I also wonder what his experiences in NI have to do with this thread.

Not something I find funny but I also wonder what his experiences in NI have to do with this thread.

Because it is fairly obvious that the experiences, and reactions to them, of a professional soldier in Belfast during a time of civil conflict should be exactly the same as that experienced by normal members of the public, including children, during peacetime.

Just book Reginal Hunter for a PFA award ceremony and everything will be ok.