Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kenilworth Tiger

Salford field 14 men v Cas (merged threads)

hindle xiii    692

Also the Castleford drop out when the outer two players weren't back behind the line on the far side.

I'd like to know for how long Salford had the 14th player? Was it a tackle or two or a full set?

Larry the Leit    679

It's a pretty poor show all round.  Either the officials on the touchlines have failed in their management of the interchanges, or Salford have managed somehow, and not for one minute would I suspect it was anything other than inadvertently, to navigate around them in their haste to make a change.

I'd be happy to see the game replayed (on Sky again) as despite what some people have said, it was a really entertaining spectacle.  

gazza77    194

At what point does responsibility pass between the club & the 4th official who is supposed to be checking the players who going on/coming off?

Old Frightful    3,125

Saints did this, again live on Sky, against Hull about 6 years' ago. Cunningham came on but nobody went off for about 40 seconds. Nothing came of it as I recall but I'm sure the RFL discussed it.

At the time it was said it was the responsibility of the club to ensure substitutions took place correctly.

hindle xiii    692

I dunno if I'm getting wires crossed but I have a hazy memory of another 14th man incident involving Castleford too? Perhaps 3 or 4 seasons ago now.

RSN    678

Didn't Leigh score a try with 14 men on the pitch a couple of seasons ago against Haven IIRC, maybe completely wrong mind.

Red Willow    208

The RFL won't let the good Doctor increaase the cap

Tansey should have been sent off.

Salford just took the law into their own hands!

I expect we will get the same as Saints did for the same offence (£100 fine.)

tonyXIII    770

I thought our goal line defence was good in that second half. Now I know one possible reason for that. :D

It's not funny if you're a Cas fan, though. It could have been the difference between winning and losing.

Also, I'm waiting to see the incident replayed before I join the "Tansey OFF!" brigade. I'm not convinced it was as bad as some people are suggesting.

MR51CUK    4

An interchange is not normally allowed on the pitch until the person they are replacing has left the field completely.

Also as far as I'm aware changes can't be made unless your the team in possession of the ball (or at least that's what I'm told in Champ 1). So the 14th man would have been on for a while if that's the case.

tim2    726

An interchange is not normally allowed on the pitch until the person they are replacing has left the field completely.

Also as far as I'm aware changes can't be made unless your the team in possession of the ball (or at least that's what I'm told in Champ 1). So the 14th man would have been on for a while if that's the case.

Interchanges can be made when defending, it's just a daft thing to do as you are a man down while the interchange takes place.

2 possibilities:

1. Salford put the player on without going via the official.

2. The interchange official has allowed the interchange without making sure a player came off

Either way, no replay. Technically, it's no worse an offence than any other in the law book that goes unseen by the officials.

I have done this job and have had players throw the interchange card on the floor and try to run on without waiting for the player to come off. At that stage (if the other player stayed on) you should stop the game but that's easier said than done as the ball may be in play and some distance away. In this example it would be a penalty to the non-offending side where the 14th player entered the field, 10m in (I think). Never seen this type of penalty given.