Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

duffymoon

LEE BRIERS

142 posts in this topic

It can take a half back quite a while for his plays to gel, so he won't be playing there unless Swinton really don't care who they upset on the playing rosta.

He will probably partner Gareth O'Brien on Thursday night as Ian Watson is out for about six weeks having just had a cartlidge operation.

There is nothing wrong with the principle of the dual registration system IF the RFL had set out hard and fast rules at the start but their failure to this left it wide open for clubs to abuse it and that is what is causing so much upset amongst Championship clubs.

Having said that, if every club had taken the line that Swinton did and "signed" 6 Warrington players at the start of the season and then had the chance to play upwards of 5 more Warrington players on dual registration each game then the Championship would have most certainly become a glorified reserve team league competition.

Clubs using up to the maximum of 5 DR or loan players are pushing the boundary of the system whilst others have tried to stay within the spirit of the supposed system by only using DR players in instances of injury to their own players.

It's not the fact that Lee Briers is playing for Swinton that is a problem it is the fact that they have taken so many other Warrington players that even some of their own fans believe are just on loan for the season.

Clubs using up to the maximum of 5 DR or loan players are pushing the boundary of the system whilst others have tried to stay within the spirit of the supposed system by only using DR players in instances of injury to their own players.It's not the fact that Lee Briers is playing for Swinton that is a problem it is the fact that they have taken so many other Warrington players that even some of their own fans believe are just on loan for the season.

Isn't it the case that for some CC clubs DR means one thing, and for other clubs it means another.

e.g. for some clubs it's handy to have access to a couple of DR players when you need them, for others it is necessary to have as many as possible or you won't be able to compete, then your very survival is threatened??

Isn't it the case that for some CC clubs DR means one thing, and for other clubs it means another.

e.g. for some clubs it's handy to have access to a couple of DR players when you need them, for others it is necessary to have as many as possible or you won't be able to compete, then your very survival is threatened??

It is true that DR means many things to many clubs and that is where the RFL boobed by not setting more rigid rules at the very start.

However, any Championship club that needs to have 5 DR players every week in order to survive is in the wrong league and they should be in Championship 1 where the need for DR players isn't so great.    

It's one thing for a club with say, 24 players on their books having to use 3 or 4 DR players if they have a string of injuries but it is quite another thing for a club to only sign up 17 or 18 players and expect to use 3 or 4 DR players all season!!!

It is true that DR means many things to many clubs and that is where the RFL boobed by not setting more rigid rules at the very start.

However, any Championship club that needs to have 5 DR players every week in order to survive is in the wrong league and they should be in Championship 1 where the need for DR players isn't so great.

That's the conclusion I come to as well.

But Hunslet say that CC1 will kill them off.

Maybe Swinton are of the same opinion?

If you read the news article on the RFL website you will see that Lee has volunteered to play for his friend Gary Chambers in a bit to get his fitness back.

Chucklevision.

The RFL accepted SKY money for the big clubs to get bigger and the small clubs to rot.

They could have refused the SKY money so that all clubs could stay semi-pro and Leigh, Oldham, Barrow, Swinton, Workington, Whitehaven etc could all have become a top flight club once again, and again over this last 17 years.

Speaking to RL friends in Leeds tonight they say people in Dewsbury, Batley, Hunslet and Halifax don't have the same interest in the game now. Less follow it and the less moan more.

So what about it? Should the RFL have refused to take the SKY money because this money split the clubs??

Exactly why folk in Dewsbury,Batley don't have the same interest in the game anymore its cos they can see that their local clubs are getting shafted all the time and no chance of been at the top table.

Same here. If DR is to be used as a tool for fitness etc then CC1 is the best place for it. I would prefer it if those clubs that could afford it, creating their own U23 second team to compete in this league (with no promotion) rather than pinching Hunslet and Swinton etc to do it for them instead.

Exactly why folk in Dewsbury,Batley don't have the same interest in the game anymore its cos they can see that their local clubs are getting shafted all the time and no chance of been at the top table.

My personal view is that the interest hasn't been that good for over 40 years. If ever and it's not DR. The demographic in the Heavy Woollen has changed forever now the mills and pits are gone, and with the improved links they are now commuter ghetto's. Professional RL needs a total re-think to determine how a club from that area can compete to get entry in the top division.

You probably wouldn't like the potential answer though.

I'd agree with that.

What we don't know is how many people from Dewsbury and Batley continue their interest  in the game by following Leeds, Cas or  Wakefield.

Indeed

But should RFL/Clubs have refused the SKY contract?

I'd agree with that.

What we don't know is how many people from Dewsbury and Batley continue their interest  in the game by following Leeds, Cas or  Wakefield.

The Bulls season ticket bus parks up in Batley every autumn apparently.

Well it's not, because there's no money and little interest.

Your solution?

Well there seems to be more interest in Fev and, Fax than there is  in SL in London, and as much money at Fev as at SL Cas. There is more interest in those areas than there is at Salford, who are being touted as the next big thing.

When you male blanket statements, individual exceptions are invariably lost in the noise and a true synopsis of the facts is not apparent.

Leeds will prop Hunslet up in cc1 just as they are doing in the Championship, they have to have somewhere for their surplus reserves to play, in just the same way as Wigan are propping up South Wales and the broncos are propping up the Skolars and Warrington are reinventing Swinton at Leigh. 

The Bulls season ticket bus parks up in Batley every autumn apparently.

At last you've come up with a reason why the crowds are up in Super League but down in the championships.

Professional RL needs a total re-think to determine how a club from that area can compete to get entry in the top division.

You probably wouldn't like the potential answer though.

Is there any obvious reason why those two clubs need to be in the top division?

Not all clubs are going to be big enough to be competitive in Superleague. There needs to be a good, competitive league at a level that fits clubs like Batley.

Last Friday night I went to an Aussie Rules game. Glenelg vs Sturt in the SANFL. A good night and a good game between two clubs that obviously are cherished by their community, operating at the next tier down from the AFL. About 5,000 there I should say. Really nice, friendly atmosphere at a lovely ground. Neither club will ever be in the AFL. I doubt that they want to be.

Well there seems to be more interest in Fev and, Fax than there is  in SL in London

Of course there is interest in Fev, but do you think this is because all those fans think Championship rugby is great and they love watching Fev play it??

Where's the big interest in Fax?

You know full well the big crowd is about a club heading for Superleague so superleague is the draw.

You should also know full well that clubs who fail in superleague and lose all the time like Salford, London etc get low crowds.

So if Rovers went into Superleague without the money to compete and were losing every week what crowds would they get?

Remember Halifax's crowds dipping below 2000 in 2003 when they could not compete??

That's how it is and trying to make out Fax and Fev would do well on crowds compared to London and Salford just goes against how it is, i.e. reality.

Leeds will prop Hunslet up in cc1 just as they are doing in the Championship, they have to have somewhere for their surplus reserves to play, in just the same way as Wigan are propping up South Wales and the broncos are propping up the Skolars and Warrington are reinventing Swinton at Leigh.

I'm pleased to get the facts from you once again.

I'm torn between what you say and what the boss of Hunslet who holds the purse strings says.

Maybe I should toss a coin here.

Not all clubs are going to be big enough to be competitive in Superleague. There needs to be a good, competitive league at a level that fits clubs like Batley.

Indeed but to get that competetiveness independent clubs have to borrow a load of Superleague players, and act as "A" teams. A league of independent championship clubs is possible if you drop the salary cap in the championship.

Now where have I heard that one before?

'm sorry but you post is just dripping with patronising honey.

Is there any obvious reason why a team from the Heavy Woollen can't?

Your own club was a club like Batley before somebody built a stadium in the town, and then a sugar daddy came along. 

Your own club was a club like Batley before somebody built a stadium in the town, and then a sugar daddy came along.

Oh dear Steve your in it now!!

I'm damned if I know what Parky wants for the future of RL. It seems to change according to who he is replying to. Myself I would like to see RL strong and healthy at all levels, without lower level clubs having to turn themselves into A teams, and without clubs at any level having to rely on unrealistic short term finance.

I don't believe this will ever happen, though. In my more pessimistic moments I see RL 2030 consisting of 10 or even fewer pro clubs and nothing below that except amateur teams in the traditional areas. In my more optimistic moods I reckon it'll be the same disorganised short-term thinking mess it's always been, never dying but never becoming a truly big time sport (but always wanting to) and the same arguments will still be being had in the next century ...

I'm damned if I know what Parky wants for the future of RL. It seems to change according to who he is replying to. Myself I would like to see RL strong and healthy at all levels, without lower level clubs having to turn themselves into A teams, and without clubs at any level having to rely on unrealistic short term finance.

I don't believe this will ever happen, though. In my more pessimistic moments I see RL 2030 consisting of 10 or even fewer pro clubs and nothing below that except amateur teams in the traditional areas. In my more optimistic moods I reckon it'll be the same disorganised short-term thinking mess it's always been, never dying but never becoming a truly big time sport (but always wanting to) and the same arguments will still be being had in the next century ...

I see 12 Super League clubs, below that a division of 10 to 12 clubs who are basically to be used and abused at the super league clubs discretion including the acquisition of their fan base, below that will be another tier that will also run the elite juniors and will include the likes of Oxford, Hemel, Skolars All Gold's and the NCL clubs who seem to be benefitting from RFL favouritism at the moment.

When all this is in place the rest of us can go back to being pub teams playing on a Sunday morning.

1. I'm damned if I know what Parky wants for the future of RL.

2. It seems to change according to who he is replying to.

1. You may find out if you were to ask.

2. Given that I never debate the issue in terms of "what I want" how can it change?

Really odd post to make when you could just reply to me directly??