Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Viking Warrior

most improved player this season

46 posts in this topic

I'd go so far as to say that he's the best player I've seen in RL in my twenty years following the game, and would be surprised to learn that anyone on here had seen any better.

What a ridiclous comment. He is nowhere near as good as Jon Wilkin or Jamie Jones-Buchanan, both certainties in the England team at the end of the year... ;)

I think you're in danger of letting your anti-Wigan bias cloud your judgement and damning Farrell with faint praise.

I'd go so far as to say that he's the best player I've seen in RL in my twenty years following the game, and would be surprised to learn that anyone on here had seen any better.

JB - Liam has been head and shoulders the best player this season, I'd have him at Warrington

What a ridiclous comment. He is nowhere near as good as Jon Wilkin or Jamie Jones-Buchanan, both certainties in the England team at the end of the year... ;)

GS - better than ablett :P

Farrel will never be as good as Sir Kev the greatest RL player ever.

For someone who supports Hull,it wasn't a very good attempt at fishing. ;)

Leeds to hull is approx 60 miles, has someone let rip??

Have Wigan been on tv that much this year? I dont seem to have seen too much of them.

Its a difficulty I have with these threads, I cant compare all the players so I couldnt say whether Farrell has been the best player.

He does seem to have picked up a fair few fans from the couple of articles about his lack of missed tackles. I wonder if people would even had realised had this not been pointed out.

Have Wigan been on tv that much this year? I dont seem to have seen too much of them.

When a once-in-a-a-generation player like Farrell is plying his trade, you shouldn't have to wait for him to be on TV to watch him play.

Genuine question about Farrell, bearing in mind I've said on here he is a contender for Man of Steel. His stats are fantastic, but how would he go in the NRL and would he be an automatic choice for England if he continues his form?

I'm not trying to say the NRL is amazing and SL rubbish, but I remember years ago Graeme Hick being described as a 'flat track bully'. Not saying Farrell is that, but what do people think?

Not sure about Farrell in the NRL - although his tackle success rate is excellent, he is far from physically dominant in defence. He is very effective as a running second row in SL, but he would be under sized in the NRL. Better for him to stay at Wigan in my view and see if he can play a role for England.

Genuine question about Farrell, bearing in mind I've said on here he is a contender for Man of Steel. His stats are fantastic, but how would he go in the NRL and would he be an automatic choice for England if he continues his form?

I'm not trying to say the NRL is amazing and SL rubbish, but I remember years ago Graeme Hick being described as a 'flat track bully'. Not saying Farrell is that, but what do people think?

i dont think thats a fair benchmark for 'most improved'. He can only be compared to his peers and how he is doing, not what is happening in a comp on the other side of the world.

Let's not go down the route of challenging every bit of praise for a player with the 'could he do it in the nrl' question.

When a once-in-a-a-generation player like Farrell is plying his trade, you shouldn't have to wait for him to be on TV to watch him play.

:biggrin:

Whilst im not doubting Farrell's improvement yhis year, some of the praise suggests ill be seeing someyhing very special on tv at Magic Weekend. The new Ellery perhaps?

I think you're in danger of letting your anti-Wigan bias cloud your judgement and damning Farrell with faint praise.

Best forward you've seen in 20 years or best player(any position)? Although I think he's a fantastic player and should be starting in the second row for England I'd still put andy Farrell, Paul Sculthrope above him at this stage. But he is only 22 and will only get better, the sky's the limit for him.

:biggrin:

Whilst im not doubting Farrell's improvement yhis year, some of the praise suggests ill be seeing someyhing very special on tv at Magic Weekend. The new Ellery perhaps?

The ginger pearl? There will only ever be one ellery Hanley.

i dont think thats a fair benchmark for 'most improved'. He can only be compared to his peers and how he is doing, not what is happening in a comp on the other side of the world.

Let's not go down the route of challenging every bit of praise for a player with the 'could he do it in the nrl' question.

Fair do's..I think giwildgo summed up what I was pondering about Farrell, apologies for wandering off thread!

I think Farrell would make a solid centre IMO, not sure how good his ball skills are though.

Oo, oo, sir! Sir! I know, I know.

Warrington (H), R2

Leeds (A), R7

Widnes (H), R8

St Helens (H), R9

At least I think that's all of them... :unsure:

Oo, oo, sir! Sir! I know, I know.

Warrington (H), R2

Leeds (A), R7

Widnes (H), R8

St Helens (H), R9

At least I think that's all of them... :unsure:

heres another one then! In those games, who got MOM?

I assume it was Farrell as if I had only seen somebody play 4 times he'd have had to blow me away to merit some plaudits he's getting!

heres another one then! In those games, who got MOM?

I assume it was Farrell as if I had only seen somebody play 4 times he'd have had to blow me away to merit some plaudits he's getting!

Dunno about that, I hang around to watch sky MOM and where the £100 goes, but I don't note them down like I do for the sky games. (I'm obviously not a proper fan!) Either Farrell or Tomkins usually.

Nick Scruton got the Bulls MoM against Leeds. He had a good game but was not first choice amongst any of the groups of people I stand with ...quizzical looks all round.

For the previous couple of seasons,  the Bulls MoM was decided on live txts from the spectators, but i don't think ths happens anymore. It would be interesting to see who chooses it.

A few times, I got coprporate hospitality every year at Valley Parade from a waste disposal company who always sponsored the first Bradford City home game in the Johnson Paint / Sherpa Vans Trophy. We did a poll (~50 guests and company employees) to pick the MoM between us. So the nomination of a MoM can be fairly subjective.