Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Drake

03/05/13 - St Helens v Widnes Vikings - KO 8pm

Who will win?   22 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• St Helens
    • Widnes Vikings
    • Draw

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

62 posts in this topic

Discuss the game here.

Referee: R Hicks

Touch Judge: C Sharrad

Touch Judge: J Cobb

Reserve: S Ansell

Match Commissioner: N Robinson

In Goal: G Jones

In Goal: D Sharpe

Time Keeper: K Leyland

the best chance we have ever had of laying the saints super league hoodoo to bed. we should have won at our ground this season and only for going down to 11 men we would have. i predict that the game will be won in the halves with mellor and brown running saints ragged.

With our terrible away form and recent injuries, I cannot see past a Saints win in this game.

St Helens squad: Paul Wellens, Ade Gardner, Jordan Turner, Sia Soliola, Lance Hohaia, Josh Perry, Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook, Tony Puletua, Willie Manu, Anthony Laffranchi, Paul Clough, Josh Jones, Tom Makinson, Nathan Ashe, Joe Greenwood, Alex Walmsley, Mark Percival, Luke Thompson, Stuart Howarth.

Widnes squad: Dave Allen, Kevin Brown, Jon Clarke, Danny Craven, Chris Dean, Paddy Flynn, Grant Gore, Gareth Hock, Phil Joseph, Ben Kavanagh, Adam Lawton, Stefan Marsh, Joe Mellor, Eamon O'Carroll, Jack Owens, Cameron Phelps, Steve Pickersgill, Frank Winterstein, Lloyd White.

We have three players back (two from injury, one from suspension) but lost a new one to injury last week.  We will either have the stunning halfback partnership of Wello and Hohaia or the largely unknown one of Ashe and Hohaia with Wello really ripping up trees at 13 again.  I don't think we have enough to beat Widnes even though Widnes have injury problems themselves.

I also support Philadelphia Phillies and and lastnight they got beat up 14-2 the great Doc Halliday was taken off after 3 inninngs.Saints liken me to Phillies this year.However I think they will take this by 6

We had nothing last week to trouble Wakey and would imagine more of the same playing on grass against even a poor Saints side

Widnes have nothing to lose here. I could see them winning a high scoring thriller.

Saints to win and I think we'll do so reasonably convincingly.

Having Manu back should add another dimension to our attack.  I think we can pick up the points in this one, we're not a great side at present but I can't see us losing every week.

widnes to win by 10 points..........

Having Manu back should add another dimension to our attack.

If there was a thread "most disappointing signing of the season so far", he would be top of my list.

If there was a thread "most disappointing signing of the season so far", he would be top of my list.

I'm not sure we are playing him in a way to get the best out of him, a bit like we have been playing Laffranchi as prop but in fact he's a second rower with a great offload game that we never use. 

Having Manu back should add another dimension to our attack. I think we can pick up the points in this one, we're not a great side at present but I can't see us losing every week.

How's Manu going not seen a lot of Saints can be absolutely devastating on his day.

I guess the people voting for a Widnes win haven't seen us playing away recently!  Couldn't put a very poor Cas to bed, and no matter how many injuries Saints have, I can't see our defence keeping them below 30.  Anyway, if we do lose it will be the refs fault.  I'm going to start composing my #asktherefs complaints now....

we can and we will win this game, we owe them big time for their last 2 lucky wins against us.

How's Manu going not seen a lot of Saints can be absolutely devastating on his day.

He's been out since Good Friday.  I think he was doing ok before that but didn't look as destructive as he did when he was with you.  I believe it was suggested by the Sky commentary team that he needs to be receiving the ball earlier.  We seemed to be giving it to him right at the point of collision making it much easier for the defence to wrap him up.

He's still looked a handful with his upper body strength and I think he's more proficient in offloading than anyone else at the club.  I guess the way things have worked out so far has just been a bit disappointing because we were expecting to see his offloading game feed Roby's running game to a devastating effect.  Perhaps it still will in the future :)