Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Drake

03/05/13 - St Helens v Widnes Vikings - KO 8pm

Who will win?   22 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• St Helens
    • Widnes Vikings
    • Draw

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

62 posts in this topic

Is jack Owens something special?

yes a fantastic young player who will get better and better as will joe mellor, him and kevin brown ran the show last night and layed the platform for a historic win.

Good win by Widnes and pleasing to see a youngster like Jack Owens doing so well given his limited experience at Super League level.  Also good to see another youngster Danny Craven back after being missing since first league match due to injury.

Unfortunately I didn't make the game but it sounded like an incredible win. My one semi-criticism is that we sounded so dominant that we should have ended the game comfortable winners. It was almost like we gave them too much respect.

When we last left Super League they were the one team that we hadn't beaten. However, despite getting that monkey off our backs there are now 2 more that we have never beaten. I eagerly await the visits of Catalans and Hull KR to the Stobart later this year...

Was mentioned on the NRL coverage that the Penrith scrum half Walsh I think was being released at the end of the year to link up with Saints. Not a world beater but at least he's a genuine half back.

Was mentioned on the NRL coverage that the Penrith scrum half Walsh I think was being released at the end of the year to link up with Saints. Not a world beater but at least he's a genuine half back.

This apparent signing has been mentioned in a few places but as yet no word from Saints themselves.  I doubt any world beating halfbacks would be available but even if they were they would likely be too expensive.

Walsh would potentially be a fine signing, certainly as good as we could hope for at present.  Lets wait and see though, the rumour has gathered a lot of momentum so will hopefully prove to be true.

The spine of any team is your 1, 6, 7, 9 & 13 and sadly Saints dont have any good players in those positions at the moment. Having Lomax, Roby & Wilkin back to fill 3 of the positions wll certainly help but without a good 6 & 7 they're not going to really challenge the top clubs this year.

Add in the loss of Soliola (who's been far & away our best forward this year), our most potent finisher in Meli and the serious underperformance of the likes of Hohia, Perry & Puletua, and Saints are always going to struggle.

On the plus side, the experience the youngsters are getting will help the 1st team in years to come. I've been really impressed with Percival, Walker, Swift & Thompson and they certainly have bright futures.

This season is a write off but with 2-3 astute signing (half backs & prop), Saints will be back up there next year challenging for honours.

I'm still unsure about Jon Clarke's try in the first half. I thought the marker was impeded to a degree.