Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chariots

Super League 2 leagues of 12

562 posts in this topic

"SunSport has exclusively learned a two-tier Super League is a step closer after Sky reportedly backed the plans.

Clubs are set to vote on the structure of the competition from 2015 onwards by the end of June.

The overwhelming favourite on the table is two divisions of 12 teams, which then splits into three leagues of eight."

So it's not going to happen then!

"SunSport has exclusively learned a two-tier Super League is a step closer after Sky reportedly backed the plans.

Clubs are set to vote on the structure of the competition from 2015 onwards by the end of June.

The overwhelming favourite on the table is two divisions of 12 teams, which then splits into three leagues of eight."

Repeat a lie enough times.....

the thing that worries me is i want all the clubs to have a chance to vote on all the proposals.....and not just the 1 that superleague clubs have given the ok on...

4 leagues of 10 benefits ALL of RL imo...but from the piece in league express SL have rejected that idea....thats ridiculous..

the thing that worries me is i want all the clubs to have a chance to vote on all the proposals.....and not just the 1 that superleague clubs have given the ok on...

"Clubs at ALL LEVELS of the game are expected to vote through the proposal"

Not just SL.

However Oldham may do as Mr. Koukash says.

I just read that too. I must admit, I haven't kept up with this thread, because how ever it happens, I am sure that the majority of people would just see SL2 as a rebranded championship. Anyway - so, we'll have two lots of 12, based on merit (?), who'll then split in to 3 lots of 8. The top lot play to be champions (including a play off system?), the middle lot decide who's in which division and the bottom lot play for what?

Also, if the top 4 from 'SL2' play the bottom lot from 'SL1' and the SL2 teams have lower salary caps, surely that is going to result in a lot of hidings?

I just read that too. I must admit, I haven't kept up with this thread, because how ever it happens, I am sure that the majority of people would just see SL2 as a rebranded championship. Anyway - so, we'll have two lots of 12, based on merit (?), who'll then split in to 3 lots of 8. The top lot play to be champions (including a play off system?), the middle lot decide who's in which division and the bottom lot play for what?

Also, if the top 4 from 'SL2' play the bottom lot from 'SL1' and the SL2 teams have lower salary caps, surely that is going to result in a lot of hidings?

You are right on all counts, which is why this story is a MASSIVE red herring.

Halifax failed to show the licensing people adequate funds last application.

You keep banging on about this Parky. Featherstone decided not to apply in the last round of licences, if they did and were slated, would you be still using it as a stick to beat them with?

They "appear" to have a backer willing to put money in since then, but so have Halifax, you may have seen him on Look North a few times talking about his vision for Fax. So are you basising you assumption that only Featherstone have financial backing, on the words of a guy from Fetherstone with out actually seeing any investment or the fact they didn't apply for a licence, and basising your assumption on Fax from a license bid that is nearly three years old and was submitted before Tony Abbott became the major share holder?

You keep banging on about this Parky.

And you keep banging on as well.

Featherstone have said they are going to apply for SL and have said they will fund full cap. Featherstone have been voiciferous and have taken many actions to be as good as they can for their ultimate SL application (that may end up not happening)

If Tony Abbot has set out a "vision" fine. There's a long list of people who set out "visions" but ultimately from many there's nothing to see. I'd be delighted for you to quote and reference a clear statement from Abbot he planned to put in an SL application 2015 and that he would organise funding full cap.

Given that The Sun and Sky are owned by the same people, I think it's safe to assume that this is true and it's happening.

I still think it's a bit conveluted, but it has to generate more interest than what we have now. I'm slowly warming to the idea.

The top lot play to be champions

Indeed they do in this plan.

SL averaged 9,431 fans last year, but the top eight averaged 11,972.

The reversion to a 12 club SL ejecting two poorly supported clubs will put the average crowd in the first 11 rounds to about 10,300 on last years figures.

The second 14 rounds of SL amongst the top eight will see 14 fixtures with a likely average (again using last years actuals)of 11,972.

On last years figures this new system would likely see, on simple arithmetic a boost to the average crowds in Superleague from 9,431 to 11,236.

The top eight clubs would could benefit to the tune of £500,000 a year additional income...

But of course this as about ALL clubs......

I think this is an awful proposal, which ultimately will lead to a much reduced number of clubs in the top division.  I don't like it, and there's nothing "Super" about the second tier getting a few tiny crumbs from the table.  It's nonsense, and it will cause the same divisions and animosity that we have seen around franchising/licensing.

I still think it's a bit conveluted, but it has to generate more interest than what we have now. I'm slowly warming to the idea.

Warming to the idea your 2015 SL application would be in tatters should this be voted through??

And you keep banging on as well.

Featherstone have said they are going to apply for SL and have said they will fund full cap. Featherstone have been voiciferous and have taken many actions to be as good as they can for their ultimate SL application (that may end up not happening)

If Tony Abbot has set out a "vision" fine. There's a long list of people who set out "visions" but ultimately from many there's nothing to see. I'd be delighted for you to quote and reference a clear statement from Abbot he planned to put in an SL application 2015 and that he would organise funding full cap.

Can you point out where Featherstone's Plans are? Or you are just taking the word of one man? Strange and a little hypercritical that you won't accept the word of Tony Abbott having said that Fax are "ready" to step up to the next level.

Apart from that, I do agree with much you have posted on this thread. So don't take this as a personal attack.

I don't like it, and there's nothing "Super" about the second tier getting a few tiny crumbs from the table.

Well the second tier will get £180K a year per club. For most this will merely keep them from dying off.

The quid pro quo will be the increased gates for the big clubs in Superleague that more than compensates them for allowing the Championship to have some money from SKY.

The big question is the middle eight.

The four bottom Superleague clubs last year averaged 5,188 gates. In games amongst themselves they only averaged 4,790. The top four clubs in the Championship last year averaged 1,900 fans playing against each other. The average overall would be 3,300.

People can do their own figures, and work out what factors would be at play if we had a mid season situation where four SL clubs get relegated and have to fight for their lives, and four CC clubs get promoted and can fight for the prize of £1,200,000 and a Superleague place.

I can only assume that KPMG and the clubs speculate that the middle eight battle will be what gets the fans flocking to the game in which you could in theory have FOUR UP and FOUR DOWN.

That's in theory, the reality depends on how even the playing field would be???

Well the second tier will get £180K a year per club. For most this will merely keep them from dying off.

The quid pro quo will be the increased gates for the big clubs in Superleague that more than compensates them for allowing the Championship to have some money from SKY.

The big question is the middle eight.

The four bottom Superleague clubs last year averaged 5,188 gates. In games amongst themselves they only averaged 4,790. The top four clubs in the Championship last year averaged 1,900 fans playing against each other. The average overall would be 3,300.

People can do their own figures, and work out what factors would be at play if we had a mid season situation where four SL clubs get relegated and have to fight for their lives, and four CC clubs get promoted and can fight for th prixe if £1,200,000 and a Superleague place.

I can only assume that KPMG and the clubs speculate that the middle eight battle will be what gets the fans flocking to the game in which you could in theory have FOUR UP and FOUR DOWN.

That's in theory, the reality depends on how even the playing field would be???

The higher salary cap would have to allowed to all clubs that want to/can spend it. Only way this will work in my opinion.

You won't accept the word of Tony Abbott having said that Fax are "ready" to step up to the next level.

I know I'm annoying you but I'm working on the Fev fans saying that Mr. Nahaboo has said he will guarantee £1.65M a year spending on players. I would welcome you challenging that and also telling me what Mr. Abbot has said about spending full cap?

Do we know what the 4 options presented are?.. Don't have access to the RL papers down here..

I know I'm annoying you but I'm working on the Fev fans saying that Mr. Nahaboo has said he will guarantee £1.65M a year spending on players. I would welcome you challenging that and also telling me what Mr. Abbot has said about spending full cap?

He hasn't mentioned anything other than Fax are ready for the step up to the next level.

If Featherstone fans are saying it, it must be true eh? When the man backing them was involved at Castleford, did they spend the full cap with his backing? Feisil says a lot of things that don't always come to fruition. Things like Investment for Cas and Halifax from consortiums in Qatar? Didn't happen. He might spend the full cap for Fev...I would find it surprising if he does.

The higher salary cap would have to allowed to all clubs that want to/can spend it. Only way this will work in my opinion.

Exactly......

But how can you or Featherstone (even if you have the money) spend up to the cap on professional players from a position in the Championship?? How could you attract professionals to play chamionship rugby for 11 rounds before going into second tier rugby with only a small chance of your club beating the odds to get in SL?

The four bottom SL clubs would already have full time SL squads.

If you did manage to squeeze into SL then how would you build a squad in JUST ONE YEAR to avvoid being one of the four clubs relegated back to the middle eight??

The middle eight comp looks loaded in favour of the four SL clubs

He hasn't mentioned anything other than Fax are ready for the step up to the next level.

If Featherstone fans are saying it, it must be true eh? When the man backing them was involved at Castleford, did they spend the full cap with his backing? Feisil says a lot of things that don't always come to fruition. Things like Investment for Cas and Halifax from consortiums in Qatar? Didn't happen. He might spend the full cap for Fev...I would find it surprising if he does.

You can only take a man on his word I agree. But what he has said about putting money in up to now he's done everything he said he would so I havnt any reason to doubt he would pay the full salary cap.

1. He hasn't mentioned anything other than Fax are ready for the step up to the next level.

2. If Featherstone fans are saying it, it must be true eh?

1. So I don't take that as a capability to spend full cap.

2. No I was told Mr. Nahaboo has clearly stated the intention to the Featherstone club.

Yes it could easily be hot air sir, but he's appartently promised it. Mr. Abbot hasn't.

I'm quite happy to work on the idea they are both full of hot air, if so I don't expect the middle eight competition to be anything more than a loaded competition.

the crowds will love that.

Do we know what the 4 options presented are?.. Don't have access to the RL papers down here..

Post #173 mike....

You can only take a man on his word I agree. But what he has said about putting money in up to now he's done everything he said he would so I havnt any reason to doubt he would pay the full salary cap.

You can, but going by the words he gave at Cas I wouldn't hold much hope for them personally. What money has he invested in Fev now and what has it been spent on? Bearing in mind you were apparently spending the full cap with out his investment and you had also started the re development work, and had the junior teams.

1. So I don't take that as a capability to spend full cap.

2. No I was told Mr. Nahaboo has clearly stated the intention to the Featherstone club.

Yes it could easily be hot air sir, but he's appartently promised it. Mr. Abbot hasn't.

I'm quite happy to work on the idea they are both full of hot air, if so I don't expect the middle eight competition to be anything more than a loaded competition.

the crowds will love that.

I would expect a game between Wakefield and Featherstone in the second mini-tier to draw less fans than Saturday's home fixture with Catalans.  

I would also say that many people, who are already bored of the same sides being on Sky seemingly each week will ditch Sky and take Premier subscriptions.