Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chariots

Super League 2 leagues of 12

562 posts in this topic

Cracking debate going on here about something that isn't actually going to happen!

Cracking debate going on here about something that isn't actually going to happen!

You might as well post this on the thread about the England team to beat Australia too... :D

You might as well post this on the thread about the England team to beat Australia too... :D

We should start one about Ryan Atkins' improving ball handling skills too.

It was Mr. Sadler's league express editorial.

Of course it could all be ditched.

What makes you so sure Mr. P??

It was Mr. Sadler's league express editorial.

Of course it could all be ditched.

What makes you so sure Mr. P??

1) it's a terrible idea that even we mere mortals could pick the flaws out of within five minutes.

2) I just know ;)

1) it's a terrible idea that even we mere mortals could pick the flaws out of within five minutes.

2) I just know ;)

OK great sage and knower of all things.....

What will they actually go for then?

I would expect a game between Wakefield and Featherstone in the second mini-tier to draw less fans than Saturday's home fixture with Catalans.

Won't happen, Mr. Potts has spoken!!.

I would expect a game between Wakefield and Featherstone in the second mini-tier to draw less fans than Saturday's home fixture with Catalans.

I reckon you're wrong on that one, I'd say it would be second only to Cas as the highest gate of the year.

Let's revisit that one in a couple of years time.

I reckon you're wrong on that one, I'd say it would be second only to Cas as the highest gate of the year.

Let's revisit that one in a couple of years time.

The very disappointing crowd that Featherstone drew for their much promoted cup game against Cas last year suggests a big flaw in your logic.

Castleford's support is on the slide at the moment, I don't see them being reinvigorated by playing in either a second tier, or a late season mis-matched competition, nor do I see the people of Wakefield getting excited about playing the lower segment of the Superleague ladder again in repeat fixtures and high performing championship sides.

If people don't get the paper the three other suggestions were....

A. as we are with one up and one down

B. SL1 12 clubs SL2 10 clubs P & R between the two divisions

C. Four divisions of 10 P & R between each

All rubbish so I've watched my last game of rugby league in this country, sadly.

Anyone know why "Like they do it in NRL" wasn't an option? Fear of the smaller clubs, presumably.

Hugely disappointing stuff. RIP European RL.

I would expect some potentially very big crowds in that middle group. Its genius because 4 of the 8 get to play the top teams the year after. If Leigh made the middle 8 I can see our average to be 6-7k given meaningful games, a good chance of SL and a new ground.

Will also allow the likes of Crusaders to get back playing top teams. I can see their crowds rocketing

The very disappointing crowd that Featherstone drew for their much promoted cup game against Cas last year suggests a big flaw in your logic.

Castleford's support is on the slide at the moment, I don't see them being reinvigorated by playing in either a second tier, or a late season mis-matched competition, nor do I see the people of Wakefield getting excited about playing the lower segment of the Superleague ladder again in repeat fixtures and high performing championship sides.

It depends how they work it.

Comparing to cup games isn't fair as they don't have season ticket holders present.

If the middle tier can still get into the SL play-offs (like I suggested) by winning that group, then there is still a huge amount to play for.

If the bottom tier can enter a play-off with the middle tier for the last SL1 place, again there is still a huge amount to play for.

All rubbish so I've watched my last game of rugby league in this country, sadly.

Anyone know why "Like they do it in NRL" wasn't an option? Fear of the smaller clubs, presumably.

Hugely disappointing stuff. RIP European RL.

Perhaps the NRL would be far bigger if they did this? They wouldnt have lost Norths, Newton etc and could easily expand

I take issue with your post because;

Wakefield as a club are not on some mythical lofty perch and haven't been for over 40 years.

To argue that only the best teams visiting get the crowds to turn up could be applied to any club.

Quite possibly the fans of the area like having a choice and like watching a winning team. One year Cas next year Wakey.

Because of this I don't believe that Wakefield have unearthed and groomed a new fan base with their re-emergence.

All rubbish so I've watched my last game of rugby league in this country, sadly.Anyone know why "Like they do it in NRL" wasn't an option? Fear of the smaller clubs, presumably.Hugely disappointing stuff. RIP European RL.

Haha, you've given up and nobody really knows what is happening yet.

Could all be smoke and mirrors, shocking attitude from you sir. You should stand by the game you love regardless of what is going on. I put my club above the idiots running the game, always have always will. Nothing will take the love of my club or the thrill i get from watching RL away from me!

For the less knowledgeable amongst us - how exactly do the NRL do it?

They do it by being the biggest sport in a growing economy.

I take issue with your post because;

Wakefield as a club are not on some mythical lofty perch and haven't been for over 40 years.

To argue that only the best teams visiting get the crowds to turn up could be applied to any club.

Quite possibly the fans of the area like having a choice and like watching a winning team. One year Cas next year Wakey.

Because of this I don't believe that Wakefield have unearthed and groomed a new fan base with their re-emergence.

Quite right that Wakefield have not been on a lofty perch, I've been watching them for the overwhelming majority of the 40 years you cite.  

I have written previously, on the "Calder, is it time" thread about the fallacy that the "Wakefield MDC" is one area with a shared identity.  It's crackers to think that fans will migrate two and fro between the teams, Cas has much stronger links with Leeds for instance than it does Wakefield.

http://www.totalrl.com/forums/index.php/topic/238979-calder-it-is-time/?p=2685297

I don't know where you're from, but I'd guess it's not from the falsely created, relic of 1974 MDC of Wakefield.

I note with interest that nobody ever seems to suggest that Wakefield should merge with Dewsbury, what with Owl Lane being a matter of only a few hundred yards from the Wakefield town of Ossett, or Batley given how close it is to parts of Wakefield.  All it shows is a distinct lack of knowledge of the areas concerned, it's embarrassing that people are still writing it.

They do it by being the biggest sport in a growing economy.

Haha, I am sure that DSK will tell us how to do that then...

"Clubs at ALL LEVELS of the game are expected to vote through the proposal"

Not just SL.

However Oldham may do as Mr. Koukash says.

im thinking about all clubs not just oldham....and i want all clubs to vote on all the ideas including the ones SL has rejected...and not just the one the SL clubs have accepted...

Quite right that Wakefield have not been on a lofty perch, I've been watching them for the overwhelming majority of the 40 years you cite.  

I have written previously, on the "Calder, is it time" thread about the fallacy that the "Wakefield MDC" is one area with a shared identity.  It's crackers to think that fans will migrate two and fro between the teams, Cas has much stronger links with Leeds for instance than it does Wakefield.

http://www.totalrl.com/forums/index.php/topic/238979-calder-it-is-time/?p=2685297

I don't know where you're from, but I'd guess it's not from the falsely created, relic of 1974 MDC of Wakefield.

I note with interest that nobody ever seems to suggest that Wakefield should merge with Dewsbury, what with Owl Lane being a matter of only a few hundred yards from the Wakefield town of Ossett, or Batley given how close it is to parts of Wakefield.  All it shows is a distinct lack of knowledge of the areas concerned, it's embarrassing that people are still writing it.

All I said was that people in the area have a choice. There are lots and lots of fans who make those choices rather than watch team A week in week out. This is backed up by your own statement (and I paraphrase) that Wakey have a load of fair-weather supporters at the moment. Why not from Cas? You were the one to suggest they will go back to watching or doing something else if the can't watch Wakey punching above their weight every week.

The rest of your post is clearly written through a red mist. You need to get off your high horse over the merger stuff. I just wanted to highlight that one decent season doesn't suddenly elevate Wakey above their peers in a new league structure just because a few old men will go back to the gardening, chuntering about how badly they've been treated.

No P&R. No licencing.

All I said was that people in the area have a choice. There are lots and lots of fans who make those choices rather than watch team A week in week out. This is backed up by your own statement (and I paraphrase) that Wakey have a load of fair-weather supporters at the moment. Why not from Cas? You were the one to suggest they will go back to watching or doing something else if the can't watch Wakey punching above their weight every week.

The rest of your post is clearly written through a red mist. You need to get off your high horse over the merger stuff. I just wanted to highlight that one decent season doesn't suddenly elevate Wakey above their peers in a new league structure just because a few old men will go back to the gardening, chuntering about how badly they've been treated.

It's not an area, it's areas.  I linked you to my views on this elsehere, the transport links between Cas and Wakefield are not good.

I'm not on a high horse, but I am tired of reading ill-imformed drivel about "the area".  Wakefield have not marketed themselves well in my lifetime, and yet in the last two seasons with a bit of nous Glover and his team have improved crowds and season tickets sales quite dramatically.  Wakefield is a city that can support a superleague team, but it has no chance of getting support from Castleford for the reasons highlighted elsewhere.  I'd bet that Wakefield have many times the number of season ticket holders from Barnsley than they have from Featherstone/Castleford combined.

You speak the same patronising nonsense that many others with no local knowledge or capacity to learn about the area (s), did you know for instance know that Dewsbury's ground was within a good whack of a golf ball from Wakefield?  

It's not an area, it's areas. I linked you to my views on this elsehere, the transport links between Cas and Wakefield are not good.

I'm not on a high horse, but I am tired of reading ill-imformed drivel about "the area". Wakefield have not marketed themselves well in my lifetime, and yet in the last two seasons with a bit of nous Glover and his team have improved crowds and season tickets sales quite dramatically. Wakefield is a city that can support a superleague team, but it has no chance of getting support from Castleford for the reasons highlighted elsewhere. I'd bet that Wakefield have many times the number of season ticket holders from Barnsley than they have from Featherstone/Castleford combined.

You speak the same patronising nonsense that many others with no local knowledge or capacity to learn about the area (s), did you know for instance know that Dewsbury's ground was within a good whack of a golf ball from Wakefield?

You can catch a train

The 189 is frequent and regular

They don't like to think they're associated with dewsbury in kirkhamgate

But your point is a valid one

The social dynamics of the area are interesting on their own but even more arcane in terms of rugby league. Take the border towns of sharlston and streethouse. I wonder what the split is there, or indeed pontefract's relationship with Castleford and Wakefield. Add in family history and movement in population between the towns and villages and you are all over the place. I would say that the town of featherstone and all the micro communities within it supply a small proportion of featherstone rovers support and a large proportion of that support is from the surrounding area and beyond...but not that beyond, and the demographic is very narrow... Perhaps less so for Wakefield but about the same for Castleford tigers.

The rugby league fraternity- actually a small proportion of a largish conurbat: soccer is by far the most popular sport, especially if Leeds united are doing well, prefer to gain enjoyment from what divides them: their small town rivalries than what unites them: love if rugby league. Talk of massive attendances on a regular basis between these clubs does not stand up to analysis. Although games between Castleford and Wakefield tend to draw the largest audience

Lets Just have Wigan StHelens, Leeds and Hull............................................For Gods sake why do we let people who know nothing about our game mess about with it