Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chariots

Super League 2 leagues of 12

562 posts in this topic

How could they be if they're (supposedly) 'Super' League. They'd be subject to the same TV deal.

One by product of this is that you'd probably see far less of all clubs outside the big eight on telly. Within no time we'd all being looking back wistfully at the days when Barrow, Fev etc could claim top billing on Premier Sport on a Thursday night.

That's does not have to be the case, just because it's called SL,  the Premier league are all in the same league but the product is packaged out so other companies can compete.

It just depends on having more than SKY interested in purchasing.

You could easily come up with A and B packages

A Package

First 11 rounds 2 SL games

Split divisions

First pick of division 1 game

Second pick of division 2 game

First pick playoff games

B package

First 11 rounds 1 SL game, but first pick and a SL2 game

Split divisions

Second pick of division 1 game

First pick of division 2 game

2nd pick playoff games

Challenge cup sold seperately but in a more compressed event, to be fitted in between the splitting of leagues into 3 divisions.

Job done

I think the middle 8 games will be the most interesting. I would not expect it in season 1, but come the 2nd and 3rd seasons. I would expect a leveling of the playing field. It will not be even, but we know not all SL clubs spend the cap. So the difference is not as wide as we think.

If anyone has the figures it maybe more interesting to see the gap. But if they are not spending the cap and SL2 clubs can generate extra cash to play at say a £0.5 million cap, then you can see a closing of the gap. It would only take a featherstone to beat a Cas and a Wakey to show increased interest and they have shown they can do it with current funding, or run them close. So with increased funding and crowds who is to say.

The bottom 8 will get hardly any air time, the top 8 are basically safe and playing for playoff places so the middle 8 may generate the majority of TV interest come the middle of the season, until the playoffs start.

Personally, I'm most excited about the bottom eight. There may not be anything to actually play for but the thrill of seeing which club grabs the pennant will be amazing.

That's does not have to be the case, just because it's called SL, the Premier league are all in the same league but the product is packaged out so other companies can compete.

A Package

First 11 rounds 2 SL games

Split divisions

First pick of division 1 game

Second pick of division 2 game

First pick playoff games

B package

First 11 rounds 1 SL game, but first pick and a SL2 game

Split divisions

Second pick of division 1 game

First pick of division 2 game

2nd pick playoff games

Challenge cup sold seperately but in a more compressed event, to be fitted in between the splitting of leagues into 3 divisions.

Job done

Good point well made. There'll be a queue of broadcasters and sponsors falling over themselves to get behind the 'Super' League middle eight.

The battle to see who gets to play in the top division for a bit of the next season will really capture the nation's imagination.

As previously stated, I'm most excited about the bottom eight. Perhaps if Sky get the rights to the top eight and Premier get the rights to the middle eight we could sell the rights to the bottom eight onto Dave, DMax or maybe even Men & Motors.

Is Men & Motors still on?

A Package

B package

SKY's negotiator could even more easily say "I'll give you £90M for BOTH packages for five years - take it or leave it".

I think the middle 8 games will be the most interesting.  I would not expect it in season 1, but come the 2nd and 3rd seasons. I would expect a leveling of the playing field. It will not be even, but we know not all SL clubs spend the cap. So the difference is not as wide as we think.

If anyone has the figures it maybe more interesting to see the gap. But if they are not spending the cap and SL2 clubs can generate extra cash to play at say a £0.5 million cap, then you can see a closing of the gap.  It would only take a featherstone to beat a Cas and a Wakey to show increased interest and they have shown they  can do it with current funding, or run them close.  So with increased funding and crowds who is to say.

Castleford had 5,000 fans in the second tier. Sheffield have 1,000. Leigh are skint surviving on supporters association handouts, Mr. Hughes can pull half a million out of the bag a year himself as can Mr. O'Connor.

Featherstone and halifax claim they have rich men ready to pay bigger wages.

The gap will merely START at £1,020,000 that being the difference in the SKY funding between SL and CC clubs.

What will count is not crowds, but the ambitions of the chairmen.

With respect there's too much of an assumption that clubs will be falling over themselves to get in Superleague. Batley for instance have always said they don't want it, Leigh if they suddenly got it would not be able to hack it financially, handed £1.2M would they go and buy a professional squad (from where??)or would they just use it to pay off their debts?

Will Nahaboo and Abbot meet the idea they will fund their clubs to SL level? Will O'Connor. Hudgell and Fulton pull out of RL??

What happens on the pitch as in all pro sport will be decided by the Chairmen and their accountants.

IMHO of course but on logic reasoning and past events...

Personally, I'm still in favour of trying to find a system that gives us the benefits of both franchising/licensing and P&R.

There isn't one. If there was we wouldn't be having this debate. Pick your poison.

I don't exactly understand how the NFL works yet I hear it's pretty successful!

It isn't very complicated. Maybe have a read up on it?

This is ultimately the problem with our insular sport fan base. We assume our structures are the best because they've been around forever and "they're ours". If you don't have an understanding of how other sports structure themselves then with respect you're not really equipped to make a serious, well-balanced contribution to the debate. Take your blinkers off and have a look around at what works in other countries.

Your system was a holy mess, btw. If you're drawing up a sport structure that's hugely complicated and fussy then you're clearly not going to attract the average floating punter. The best sporting leagues (like NRL) know how to keep things simple.

Your system was a holy mess, btw. If you're drawing up a sport structure that's hugely complicated and fussy then you're clearly not going to attract the average floating punter. The best sporting leagues (like NRL) know how to keep things simple.

They also know how adequate funding prevents the league unravelling.

For Superleague, simplicity would be take out the clubs on a downward spiral, losing money and not competing and put in clubs who have the money to compete and build their businesses.

Pick your clubs in terms of who fulfill these criteria but the number looks to be around 12 at the moment.

I would never dream of forcing clubs into SL and if a club did not want it, I have no problem with that.  But I do think that the system is helpful in that it allows those who want to, to give it a go and if it does not work the drop does not have to be financial suicide.  It just feels like a system that allows clubs to play at the level they are comfortable with without arbitrarily putting a barrier in place. 

There isn't one. If there was we wouldn't be having this debate. Pick your poison.It isn't very complicated. Maybe have a read up on it?

Isn't there? Or is there one that just hasn't been discovered yet?

This is ultimately the problem with our insular sport fan base. We assume our structures are the best because they've been around forever and "they're ours". If you don't have an understanding of how other sports structure themselves then with respect you're not really equipped to make a serious, well-balanced contribution to the debate. Take your blinkers off and have a look around at what works in other countries.

That's not really with respect though, is it? I don't understand how the NFL works, so therefore I'm insular? It's one system out of many around the world that I have knowledge of.

I think I'm perfectly equipped to contribute to the debate thank you very much. With respect.

Champions League?

Heineken Cup?

Hardly simple competitions are they.

I'm sorry, but I just can't agree that all the best sports leagues in the world keep it simple. Only the sports leagues with mega popularity throughout their territory or are small enough to cover them in one league only are in a position to keep it simple. We are not.

It isn't very complicated. Maybe have a read up on it?

By the way, if you can explain it and make it sound, I'll believe you.

I've read up on it in the past. I get it. I just couldn't explain it without looking at it. It's far from simple.

I would never dream of forcing clubs into SL and if a club did not want it, I have no problem with that.  But I do think that the system is helpful in that it allows those who want to, to give it a go and if it does not work the drop does not have to be financial suicide.  It just feels like a system that allows clubs to play at the level they are comfortable with without arbitrarily putting a barrier in place.

That's fine, but Superleague is what keeps the game alive and is the only vehicle we have to take the game forward, worrying about clubs that may want to give it a go, and if it doesn't work, worry about their finances is very insular and inward looking.

The very survival of the game as a serious mainstream sport depends on concentrating on developing the product that sells. Like Warrington.v.Hull tonight.

And it ain't about managing failure......IMHO of course....

By the way, if you can explain it and make it sound, I'll believe you.

Bump!