Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chariots

Super League 2 leagues of 12

562 posts in this topic

Let's not forget that GH has already flown out to Australia to negotiate an expanded WCC.  I'd love to see an expanded comp, and I'd love Leeds NOT to qualify.  I'm sick of this man being held up as an example for other chairmen to follow.

Correct, he really has managed Leeds terribly!   :rolleyes:

You'd just have to pray that your team doesnt have a bad injury run in the first 11 games!

Indeed.

Four groups with four teams in each is what I'd like to see, with no promotion or relegation.

Just copy the NFL model as best we can.

I like it, keeps everyone on there toes. Those in the championship would have lots to play for, potentially all season at worst half a season. My only concern would be now that there are new clubs popping up in new areas, how could they join the new superleague two? I hope it wont become a closed shop, maybe the bottom third play to not be relegated.

I also have reservations about the second half fixtures being rather short notice, what with fans needing to book trips to France.

There are lots of questions that need answered before a proper judgement can be made on this.

Funding - how is it going to be allocated ? Do the 4 teams who drop out of SL at the half-way point lose their Sky money from that point as they are no longer in SL ? Or is it pooled and spread equally between the 4 coming down and the 4 coming up to make the second tier ? How can clubs structure player's contracts to accommodate it ?

Salary Cap - assuming the SL and the other leagues have different salary caps still, then what happens with the merged league of bottom 4 SL clubs and top 4 Championship clubs ? Do they all get to work to the SL cap, do the clubs continue to work to their previous cap (meaning a lopsided advantage to the ex-SL clubs) or will their be a hybrid cap ? If the 'relegated' clubs suddenly have a smaller cap will they have to release players mid-season to the 'promoted' clubs who suddenly find themselves with space on their increased cap ?

Trying to please everybody is going to cause a hell of a mess for our game. Why are people trying to recreate the sporting landscape of the 19th Century?

At the elite level we have the players for 12 teams, we have the finances for 12 teams, we have the spectator numbers for 12 teams, we have the corporate support for 12 teams, we have the media interest for 12 teams. So, naturally, we should create a structure where we attempt to involve 24 teams!

I honestly see myself as a fan of the game, rather than one particular club, and I can't see anything positive coming from this. We should be focusing our limited resources on creating a genuinely elite competition and use that to create further resources. Spreading what little we've got on 24 clubs is nothing short of ludicrous. 

This.

I like it, keeps everyone on there toes. Those in the championship would have lots to play for, potentially all season at worst half a season. My only concern would be now that there are new clubs popping up in new areas, how could they join the new superleague two? I hope it wont become a closed shop, maybe the bottom third play to not be relegated.

Yes that occurred to me too, there are currently 14, 14 and 9. Unlucky 13 left for Championship National League Premiership 1-2?

Yes that occurred to me too, there are currently 14, 14 and 9. Unlucky 13 left for Championship National League Premiership 1-2?

Well, with Coventry bears looking to be entered in 2014 that would make up the numbers?

You would like to think that if a team is ready to step up then you could increase the numbers in the league?  it would be a licensing system again

Well, with Coventry bears looking to be entered in 2014 that would make up the numbers?

You would like to think that if a team is ready to step up then you could increase the numbers in the league?  it would be a licensing system again

14-14-10 then if that was next year. To 12-12-14 then in 2015?

edit: then from mid-2015; 8-8-8 and what, 4-4-2-3-1...?! ;)

Season ticket sales will be interesting under this structure, especially for those clubs who fall into the category of not knowing which league they'll be in for the second half of the season. If you were a Cas fan, for example, would you buy a SL-priced season ticket if there's a very good chance you'll be playing half of it in the 2nd tier ? Or will clubs have to sell half-season tickets and re-price accordingly for the 2nd half of the season ?

Just to focus on one element of this, the bottom four of level 1 dropping down to play the top four at level 2.

Looking back at the last four seasons, here's a summary of the bottom four teams after Round 13 (where teams have, more or less, played each other once) along with their final position in brackets.

Perhaps interesting to note that in three of the last four years a team has improved their form enough in the second half of the season to finish in a top eight spot, with a team narrowly missing out by only two points in the other season.

*** 2012 ***
Castleford (13)
Wakefield (8)
London (12)
Widnes (14)

*** 2011 ***
Bradford (10)
Hull KR (7)
Wakefield (13)
Crusaders (14)

*** 2010 ***
Castleford (9)
Quins (13)
Salford (12)
Catalans (14)

*** 2009 ***
Bradford (9)
Catalans (8)
Salford (13)
Celtic (14)

Can I just ask, are these proposals for ever more (about 5 years in RFL time) or is it just a way of establishing a set 12 teams to play in SL under a licensing structure. If it is the former, after initially thinking it’s a bizarre way to go I am warming to the idea as long as the funding is proportionate. There is no point the top 12 receiving circa triple what the bottom 12 get. A 60/40 (at a push 70/30) split would be satisfactory. Of course the top clubs are so well run they will be able to cope with the reduced central funding so they won’t mind.  

Superleague money to be spread thinner not the best idea.

we need to have one 12 team competition with profitable clubs so that the game can expand, once clubs can prove they will have a sound financial and developmental base they should be admitted to the league, examples of the NBA, NFL, NRL, where franchises are only admitted if they can prove financial backing, good marketing and a good development structure, all the clubs need to market more, and become profitable.

Big city clubs like Sheffield should be admitted big town clubs like York, Nottingham, all should be admitted as developmental teams to the championship, to become Super league clubs.

I like it - seems to tick all the boxes.

- Something for all clubs to play for throughout the season.

- Gives clubs the opportunity for promotion and relegation each year.

- Opportunity for multiple TV packages.

- Second half of season gives an elite league for the shield, a secondary league for promotion and relegation and a plate, and a tertiary league for developing teams to win the bowl.

The first two could just as easily be achieved by keeping the leagues as they are and introducing a bottom 2 of SL, top 2 of Championship end of season play off.

The first two could just as easily be achieved by keeping the leagues as they are and introducing a bottom 2 of SL, top 2 of Championship end of season play off.

Not with out a change in Salary Caps and funding.

Not with out a change in Salary Caps and funding.

Is such a change being proposed?

Most of the teams won't have much to play for in the first phase - only those around the dividing marks.

I hate the idea that the fixtures for May onwards won't be available till, well, end of April. And I'll be interested to see how season ticket sales are affected - you just won't know what you're going to get.

Whoever brought this ludicrous suggestion to the table should be sacked on the spot for incompetence.

If the people in charge at the RFL can't do the job to the required standard and/or are incapable of making the tough decisions then they should go as well.

If I didn't know better I'd accuse those running our game of being Union saboteurs deliberately dismantling the game in order to force a reunification, I know that's not the case because I know those running the game are just stupid not malicious.

I can't see how they bring in any change to Super League in 2014 when there is a licence system in operation!

The ideas on the table seem to be scraping the barrel and show desperation of change.

It is time now before any change that we have a complete change at the top at Red Hall, the current CEO has been in control while the game has been allowed to deteriate in a serious way, what is needed is someone who is in touch with modern sport as it is run now, the game can no longer be run as it is now.

It looks like some kind of SPL hand-me-down.

Exactly. A truly awful, ill conceived idea. Truly terrible!

Two leagues of 12 I can live with. This is a ludicrous plan that's entirely flawed. It would also give us either a 29 or, worse still, 36-game regular season! Is this really what people want??

Let's not get carried away, it's not a brilliant idea but you can see what they are trying to do. My first reaction was along the lines of, '######, there's a chance we'll end up in the bottom two next year.' I think we have missed that desperation to win games in Super League.

I agree with Martyn in that it looks desperate. It certainly doesn't look like the sort of proposal that a vibrant healthy sport would make rather feeling like a bizarre plan to inject some life into the game. I very much doubt that fans would take to the idea regardless of the difficult questions about funding, season tickets, full-time contracts etc.

I'm not too bothered about the desire to move away from licensing so much, as an experiment I think its failing and that we're currently overseeing a decline at the top level largely facilitated by the staleness that it creates across the league until the playoffs. The playoffs of course being a useless top-8 system doesn't help matters and would be an easier initial fix to the problem of meaningless games for half a season. They need to make the position you finish in really mean something, which means a return to the top 6, which itself won't work well in a 14 team league where half the clubs stand next to no chance of making it in the next 5 years. 

If I was a suspicious person, I'd wonder whether the plan had been tabled in the knowledge that it'll be rejected. Then the RFL can claim that they offered a P&R solution that was rejected and then carry on under licensing. 

The silence you can hear is the sound of Parky apologising for telling everybody that central funding for Broncos was the reason why a restructuring of the league was being discussed.

Most of the teams won't have much to play for in the first phase - only those around the dividing marks.

I hate the idea that the fixtures for May onwards won't be available till, well, end of April. And I'll be interested to see how season ticket sales are affected - you just won't know what you're going to get.

You are assuming the results in phase 1 don't get carried forward to phase 2, I suspect they would do for the top and bottom divisions.