Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chariots

Super League 2 leagues of 12

562 posts in this topic

Its very possible the lost tv revenue for the top clubs could be made up by inceased gates, a more valuable product for tv. Gates for clubs between 14-24 would also increase massively too I think

Good positive reaction there Lobby.

This idea will kill the bottom four teams in the championship at the end of this year (5 if we are stupid enough to give Toulouse another chance)It will be financial suicide for those clubs relegated

As it stands Barrow, Keighley, Swinton & Donny.

The clubs involved if there was a move to 24 should really be independant clubs with limited DR.

Well they do it in many many other sports. Football for example.

You must know you can't really compare football and RL?

1) Football - Playoffs are for the 3rd promotion spot. RL - The only promotion spot. I'm sure football wouldn't be happy with having the only promotion spot being decided by playoffs.

2) Football - 4 teams in the playoffs out of 24. RL - 6 out of 12. I'm sure football wouldn't be happy with the 12th placed Championship club getting promoted

3) Football can afford to have clubs that have very poor seasons after promotion. One club doing poorly the next season only takes up one relegation spot out of three.

4) Football - it's easier for promoted clubs to survive than in RL. In football you get promoted into a division with 17 non-relegation places, in RL there would only be 11 such places.

Well they do it in many many other sports. Football for example.

Just to be clear, and rugby league before licensing, when everything was supposedly perfect.

There will be some cracking games in Super League 1 come the split to Eight teams, lets hope the new contract is not exclusive, so other providers have the chance to show games.

There will be some cracking games in Super League 1 come the split to Eight teams, lets hope the new contract is not exclusive, so other providers have the chance to show games.

And SL2 will see the four full-time clubs demolish the four part-time clubs*. Great, that'll have people and sponsors flocking to games.

*Yes, yes, I know we see the odd championship club defeat SL opposition in the cup but week in and week out they simply won't stand a chance against full-time professionals.

A more complete picture of what is being proposed will feature in Monday's edition of Rugby League Express.

It's hard to imagine changes that could be more radical.

But are they really necessary?

By and large, what is being proposed doesn't seem to have gone down well on this forum.

Will RLE be covering all the options allegedly under consideration by the Clubs for it has been mooted the mid season split is only one of many ?

A more complete picture of what is being proposed will feature in Monday's edition of Rugby League Express.

By and large, what is being proposed doesn't seem to have gone down well on this forum.

Yes it is necessary. I bet if every pro club had a vote it would do better than what we have now. It cannot be any worse than the slow painful death fans in NL1 are having with the meaningless games. Also lower SL games will be meaningful. As a regular at Broncos the games are a waste if time once the top 8 has gone. Avoiding relegation was a proper buzz

Will RLE be covering all the options allegedly under consideration by the Clubs for it has been mooted the mid season split is only one of many ?

There were four options considered, and we outline them all.

And SL2 will see the four full-time clubs demolish the four part-time clubs*. Great, that'll have people and sponsors flocking to games.

*Yes, yes, I know we see the odd championship club defeat SL opposition in the cup but week in and week out they simply won't stand a chance against full-time professionals.

I think this will depend on the funding gap. Normally the gap is small anyhow. Nevertheless it will be an easier sell than the meaningless guff we have now.

Martyn, shouldn't the fact the proposals haven't gone down well on here be qualified by the fact that 80% of RL fans would be against any proposal made (or not made) by the RFL?

Martyn, shouldn't the fact the proposals haven't gone down well on here be qualified by the fact that 80% of RL fans would be against any proposal made (or not made) by the RFL?

I wouldnt say the proposals havent gone down well. In fact theyve gone down much better than when p and r was abolished. There have only been a handful of people against it, i.e. the usual minority of pro licensing people who want anyone outside SL to wither and die - or become feeder clubs

I think this will depend on the funding gap. Normally the gap is small anyhow. Nevertheless it will be an easier sell than the meaningless guff we have now.

Do you really think the current 14 will vote for anything that removes money from them and gives it to the other clubs? So we'll have 12 full-time clubs, with 4 of them dropping down mid-season to meet 4 semi-pro clubs. No-one can possibly claim that those 14 games, the majority of the season in fact, will be an easy sell. The semi-pro cubs will do ok for the odd game here and there but that's all. Over the course of the 14 games they'll get tonked.

Regardless of whether I think they are a good idea or not basing your decisions on what a tiny group of anonymous people on the internet say is not really the best way of doing anything.

Thank you Mr. Sadler for posting my copy of League Express this morning. Sorry I am never up to say hello.

The bit I was looking for was how the idea will be funded.

""Super League clubs would continue to receive around £1,200,000 per year whilst the "Super League 2" would each receive around £180,000, RFL officials are confident that despite the disparity in income the eight teams in the middle tier will produce a competitive league""

At this point in time the middle eight would be....

HKR

wakefield

widnes

cas

london

salford

Featherstone

Halifax

Salford would be on £1,650,000 wages whilst Halifax as an example may be on around £500K wages.

It looks like the idea allows the struggling SL clubs to be competitive without having to skint themselves, and the top couple of CC clubs one who may have the money for SL to play for a meaningful target. However money/rich owners will still largely dictate results

Clubs going up and down like fiddlers elbows.

Bring it on!!

The proposal is driven by KPMG's consultancy people analysing "The impact of previous league structures on attendances".

The word "consultants" will turn many off on here, but the bottom line seems to be that the top SL clubs will lose half their fixtures against SL easybeats, and gain a third fixture against other more competitive SL clubs e.g. Leeds still get a Cas and Wakey derby but also play Wigan and Saints a third time.

The bottom SL tier will gain a couple of better fixtures (at the mo Hunslet would get London and Salford once) but lose a couple of fixtures against the top CC clubs e.g. Fev and Halifax.

Four clubs however are sacrificed at the start, but they will help form a CC1 that will be bigger and enable one club to go up, what price North Wales Crusders becoming a Superleague club again.

Lobby - poor Leigh would become a third division club, but with P & R.

Enjoy!

There were four options considered, and we outline them all.

Looking forward to reading what these are.

Looking forward to reading what these are.

If people don't get the paper the three other suggestions were....

A. as we are with one up and one down

B. SL1 12 clubs SL2 10 clubs P & R between the two divisions

C. Four divisions of 10 P & R between each

Regardless of whether I think they are a good idea or not basing your decisions on what a tiny group of anonymous people on the internet say is not really the best way of doing anything.

correct.

When is this pkan starting? Is this now decided?

When is this plan starting? Is this now decided?

Two clubs relegated from Superleague next season 2014, for a 2015 start.

In 2015 these two clubs would end up with only £180,000 of SKY funding.

12 would start the new set up on £1.2M SKY money and 12 would get £180K sky money.

Vote at the end of this season in favour expected to go through.

Two clubs relegated from Superleague next season 2014, for a 2015 start.

In 2015 these two clubs would end up with only £180,000 of SKY funding.

12 would start the new set up on £1.2M SKY money and 12 would get £180K sky money.

Vote at the end of this season in favour expected to go through.

As this is Rugby League, It's probably the oinly place where turkeys do vote for Xmas...

All this will lead to is bankrupcies as clubs at the lower splash the cash to stay in Super League. As has been already pointed out on this forum the difference between SL1 and SL2 funding will sink the chances of the promoted club being able to compete and the clubs that drop out of Super League 1 will just go out of business - London being Exhibit A but this would also apply to other clubs such as Castleford that are not cashed up now.

The end of franchising for sure, but as things stand it just represents , as with the expanded and pointless World Club Challenge, an attempt by the bigger clubs to jettison some of the "runts" from Super League they believe hold them back and take a larger slice of whatever Pay TV money the "filler" sport gets .

No wonder John Kear believes that professional RL in the northern hemisphere will be gone within 50 years. It will speed up the process of becomning a feeder league for the NRL and RFU as I have been posting about for the last 12 months and is now the new orthodoxy in the fourth estate.

Pardon me but I do not see a strategic plan about dealing with the real issues, i.e.

Lowering the Salary Cap to allow more clubs to compete

Promoting a sound business model in all Rugby League Clubs with minimal operational losses

Investing in Junior development nationally

Expanding the games footprint nationally

Developing centralised commercial and merchandising revenue to maximise income and exposure

Trusting in the games ability to renew itself so that as young players do drift over to the NRL and RFU they are replaced by newcomers who maintain the standards of the players that left creating a vibrant cometition that sponsors want to associate with 

And developing a competition that not only attracts more than one Pay TV bidder but also has packages available for FTA.

But then this is not a sport that believes in short term pain for long term gain is it..., :(