Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
slowdive

Ed Miliband

1,127 posts in this topic

Requesting an appointment so that it minimises the disruption to someone's work day is reasonable IMO. One of the purposes of a nation health service is to ensure the working population is healthy and therefore productive.

My local surgery does Saturday appointments and at least two of the four doctors work until 7pm every night to accommodate working people.  If you really need an appointment one day but there are no appointments available then you will get a telephone appointment, this is also quite good if you work a long commute away from home and the surgery.  If the doctor then decides you need to be physically seen then you'll get an appointment for that day somehow or another.

I've never failed to get an appointment when it has been needed.

The practice doctors are 3 Germans and one Indian chap.  Unfailingly polite, always willing to give you extra time if you need it but then quite keen to get you out the door for simple stuff so that they can get some time back.

It seems to me that Hunt is trying to cover up the "car crash" that the NHS is fast becoming. Since my last post I've heard that a cousin of mine, in St James's, Leeds with terminal cancer had to wait three hours to relieve himself despite asking nurses on several occasions.  They were, they said "too busy"  Isn't this one of the complaints levelled at Mid Staffs?

My local surgery does Saturday appointments and at least two of the four doctors work until 7pm every night to accommodate working people.  If you really need an appointment one day but there are no appointments available then you will get a telephone appointment, this is also quite good if you work a long commute away from home and the surgery.  If the doctor then decides you need to be physically seen then you'll get an appointment for that day somehow or another.

I've never failed to get an appointment when it has been needed.

The practice doctors are 3 Germans and one Indian chap.  Unfailingly polite, always willing to give you extra time if you need it but then quite keen to get you out the door for simple stuff so that they can get some time back.

You don't need to mention race.  The GPs at my local practice are all white and it's regarded (I think, rightly) as one of the best in the country.  It would be perfect if they did out of hours but (at the minute, this may change) there is region-wide out of hours GP cover if you need it.

Requesting an appointment so that it minimises the disruption to someone's work day is reasonable IMO. One of the purposes of a nation health service is to ensure the working population is healthy and therefore productive.

There has to be give and take. I try and get an appointment as late in the day as possible, luckily, Monday has a late surgery for people who work. That's a new thing.

It seems to me that Hunt is trying to cover up the "car crash" that the NHS is fast becoming. Since my last post I've heard that a cousin of mine, in St James's, Leeds with terminal cancer had to wait three hours to relieve himself despite asking nurses on several occasions.  They were, they said "too busy"  Isn't this one of the complaints levelled at Mid Staffs?

So, the nurses need sacking then.

Were there any complaints at Mid Staffs, or were they bumped off before they had the chance?

There is also the chance that, as happens, the nurses weren't up to scratch.  It's a tough job after all and not everyone can do it.  That was also an issue at Mid Staffs in that below-par nursing was not reported (because nurses are angels) *as well as* practices that made it difficult for good nursing.

there are I think, 1.4 million people work in the NHS.  It is a mighty undertaking in a field where not only are the number of patients increasing owing to increased life expectancy, new treatments re coming along al the time, the cost and complexity of everything from patient transport vehicles through to organ transplants, cancer treatment etc are soaring.  The nation cannot just keep signing a blank cheque, though and I'm sure all parties are keen to see cost control and efficiency as key elements of management focus.

I think accountability and transparency have until very recently taken a back seat. We no seem to have increased transparency, but still very little accountability..and virtually no say.

still very little accountability..and virtually no say.

I put up a King's Fund video on here which explains both the accountability and ways of having a say.

Good luck following it.

Funnily enough (or not), Trojan my mother has spent a lot of time in St James with terminal cancer as well

Her treatment has been exemplary. Well done to the staff at St James 9that also used to include my wife). I cannot believe your example at all

To use such as an example to reinforce an ignorant and ill informed political stance is frankly contemptable

Ive given this forum a rest over the last couple of weeks due to the lamentable standard of debate, having come back this week it seems its not improved

Funnily enough (or not), Trojan my mother has spent a lot of time in St James with terminal cancer as well

Her treatment has been exemplary. Well done to the staff at St James 9that also used to include my wife). I cannot believe your example at all

To use such as an example to reinforce an ignorant and ill informed political stance is frankly contemptable

Ive given this forum a rest over the last couple of weeks due to the lamentable standard of debate, having come back this week it seems its not improved

Both your posts are one-off, personal, anecdotes. 

Neither would stand up as evidence of either widespread good care or bad care.

Er, pot, kettle, black?

Are you actually calling me a liar?  (BTW it's contemptible.)  However, I now have a further example in my saga of my eye test.  Having waited over a month for the appointment to come, seen my GP and still no appointment, I rang the hospital on Monday. I was told "there is a waiting list."  for appointments.  I first started attending the clinic in 2008.  There was no waiting list then or in 2009/2010/2011 or 2012 but  in 2013, since the "reforms" suddenly there's a waiting list for a test to ensure I'm not going blind!

Are you actually calling me a liar?  (BTW it's contemptible.)  However, I now have a further example in my saga of my eye test.  Having waited over a month for the appointment to come, seen my GP and still no appointment, I rang the hospital on Monday. I was told "there is a waiting list."  for appointments.  I first started attending the clinic in 2008.  There was no waiting list then or in 2009/2010/2011 or 2012 but  in 2013, since the "reforms" suddenly there's a waiting list for a test to ensure I'm not going blind!

Perhaps yours isn't a severe case and has been given low priority over more urgent cases ?

Regarding appointments, at my GP's the Doctors can make you a hospital appointment while you are there in the examination room as they have access to the hospital booking system and can tell you exactly when there are appointments available and secure the appointment for you there and then on their computer.

Are you still driving a car?

there are I think, 1.4 million people work in the NHS. 

That's a misleading figure.   The NHS is not some great monolith with everyone pulling in the same direction.  It's much more a collection of relatively unconnected small to medium sized organisations operating under some loose central branding.

There was no waiting list then or in 2009/2010/2011 or 2012 but  in 2013, since the "reforms" suddenly there's a waiting list for a test to ensure I'm not going blind!

The purpose of the reform is to encourage you to go private.  If you could get the treatment you needed when you needed it on the NHS, how would anyone make any money?

So, the nurses need sacking then.

Were there any complaints at Mid Staffs, or were they bumped off before they had the chance?

Perhaps the nurses really were "too busy". Obviously nobody should have to wait three hours but if there was life threatening stuff going on elsewhere then you can understand why the nurses didn't get involved. Dreadful but a system failure rather than the fault of any individual.

The NHS often employs two people to do the work of three and then people come out with "sack the nurses" because they can't cover the missing person. What do you expect?

The purpose of the reform is to encourage you to go private.  If you could get the treatment you needed when you needed it on the NHS, how would anyone make any money?

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Perhaps yours isn't a severe case and has been given low priority over more urgent cases ?

Regarding appointments, at my GP's the Doctors can make you a hospital appointment while you are there in the examination room as they have access to the hospital booking system and can tell you exactly when there are appointments available and secure the appointment for you there and then on their computer.

Or perhaps they've lost my notes like they had the last time I went!

Hate the tory's but people want to be shot if they vote in the Labour clown's again...people have short memories.

From this week's Popbitch:

"Colleague left work on Newman St

almost got knocked down by one Ed Miliband,

who was cycling along the pavement...

the wrong way down a one-way street"

Pretty much sums up Labour these days.