Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
slowdive

Ed Miliband

1,127 posts in this topic

Read this, and thought "ckn having his weekly whinge about Ed Miliband" and almost stopped. 

Glad I didn't, because I wasn't expecting to see this..

Jesus wept.  Praising Ed Miliband.  Have you been on the gin at lunchtime?

I actually want to vote for Labour!  I really do.  I naturally gravitate to the party.  The John Smith leadership period is the point where I felt the most closely aligned with the party.

I do know I'm being hard on Ed.  I want him to show that he's got it in him to be a proper Labour leader, just give us your policies and we'll look at them, don't fob us off with soundbites.  Also, don't fall into the trap of agreeing to match Tory spending plans to appear "good" with public finances, if you want to spend more then justify it and tell us how you'll fund it.

Go on Ed, give me more reasons to praise you rather than get frustrated with you...

I've never been a member of a union but I'd strongly prefer a Labour party with very close union ties.  A good friend of mine compared them (jokingly) to the relationship between Sinn Fein and the IRA :P

I've never been a member of a union but I'd strongly prefer a Labour party with very close union ties.  A good friend of mine compared them (jokingly) to the relationship between Sinn Fein and the IRA :P

At the very least the labour ties with the unions are a counterpart to the tory ties with the Institute of directors, the federation of small business and the CBI which strangely enough no one on the right seems to have a problem with.

At the very least the labour ties with the unions are a counterpart to the tory ties with the Institute of directors, the federation of small business and the CBI which strangely enough no one on the right seems to have a problem with.

Though the CBI, etc don't put candidates forward, pay money for election expenses, campaign at elections, run there own election advertising...

Individual business types might do all that, but not on mass as far as I know?

I'll look forward to her report with interest. Certainly as a former  Director of the Department of Planning of the city of São Paulo and National Secretary for Urban Programs of the Brazilian Ministry of Cities she's done a good job in solving Brazil's housing crisis:  It is estimated that more than 50 million Brazilians live in inadequate housing. Most of these families have an income below the minimum wage of R$675 (about US$330) a month. Roughly 26 million people living in urban areas lack access to potable water, 14 million have no refuse collection service and 83 million are not connected to sewerage systems.

UN Inspector:  "Bedroom Tax" could constitute a violation of the human right to adequate housing.  She then says the court cases going on right now about it should take account of her opinion due to her position.

So... on topic: come on Ed, a perfect time to say that you're going to either scrap it or make it fair.  A simple step would be to say that if a council has nowhere to downsize you to then you don't get penalised.

Though the CBI, etc don't put candidates forward, pay money for election expenses, campaign at elections, run there own election advertising...

Individual business types might do all that, but not on mass as far as I know?

And all those company directors sitting on the tory benches don't have any input into the CBI or institute of directors?

Do the CBI have former labour spin doctors as campaign directors?  Does the CBI have members on the tory version of the NEC? Put forward their own candidates?

Not saying the CBI don't have an influence, but to say the unions have the same/similar relationship is wrong.  The unions have a completely different model and relationship.

Do the CBI have former labour spin doctors as campaign directors?  Does the CBI have members on the tory version of the NEC? Put forward their own candidates?

Not saying the CBI don't have an influence, but to say the unions have the same/similar relationship is wrong.  The unions have a completely different model and relationship.

Read my post, I never said it was the same, i said it was a counterpart, I actually meant counterbalance which i hope makes my point a little clearer.

And all those company directors sitting on the tory benches don't have any input into the CBI or institute of directors?

The Tories are funded by a relatively small number of companies and people, rather than by industry bodies like the CBI.

The Tories are funded by a relatively small number of companies and people, rather than by industry bodies like the CBI.

But its not just about funding is it Steve? Influence, words in ears, networks etc. Which seems to be ok for the tories, but when its labour (for whom I hold no allegiance at all) it's suddenly "those nasty unions"

ed milliband will never be pm- simply because he looks repulsive to women, like the Wallace placticine model, he wont get the lady vote

Miliband's personal ratings are terrible, even amongst Labour supporters.

However despite that, the same polls give Labour something like a 50-60 seat lead.

ed milliband will never be pm- simply because he looks repulsive to women, like the Wallace placticine model, he wont get the lady vote

Well yes, you're probably right because there's a string of evidence to prove that Britain only ever elects real lookers to lead it, isn't there.

Jeez.

But its not just about funding is it Steve? Influence, words in ears, networks etc. Which seems to be ok for the tories, but when its labour (for whom I hold no allegiance at all) it's suddenly "those nasty unions"

And, at every election someone who gives the Tories £2m gets 1 vote and someone who gives them sod all and still blames Thatcher for everything gets 1 vote.

Well yes, you're probably right because there's a string of evidence to prove that Britain only ever elects real lookers to lead it, isn't there.

Jeez.

there is a look that women just find repulsive, they don't have to be good looking to get a vote, a trustworthy old uncle look will suffice or that of an old well liked teacher is fine, but bob monkhouse dragged through a lard factory is summat the ladies just wont go for, believe me.

And, at every election someone who gives the Tories £2m gets 1 vote and someone who gives them sod all and still blames Thatcher for everything gets 1 vote.

yeah cos voting changes everything don't it?

Edited by Phil

You guys must be desperate, to consider voting either labour or Tory, considering what they have done to the UK.So obviously you condone what they have done.

I'll look forward to her report with interest. Certainly as a former  Director of the Department of Planning of the city of São Paulo and National Secretary for Urban Programs of the Brazilian Ministry of Cities she's done a good job in solving Brazil's housing crisis:  It is estimated that more than 50 million Brazilians live in inadequate housing. Most of these families have an income below the minimum wage of R$675 (about US$330) a month. Roughly 26 million people living in urban areas lack access to potable water, 14 million have no refuse collection service and 83 million are not connected to sewerage systems.

Well the daily wail are "outraged"! Who'd have thunk it?  :tongue:

actually, it can.

so come on then, how does voting lab/libdem/tory or whatever substantially change the life of an unemployed teenager in Gipton or Mixenden or any other inner city estate?

Edited by Phil

so come on then, how does voting lab/libdem/tory or whatever substantially change the life of an unemployed teenager in Gipton or Mixenden or any other inner city estate?

It doesn't, not as much as voting for a real "change" party. But voting can, if people weren't simply a bunch of gutless sheep they could change everything. Instead they whine in the media and messageboards about a particular party doing something or other while giving their vote, THEIR VOTE for christs sake to a party that promises to do exactly the same.

That's not donors, it's donations.

If you download it and crunch it up a bit, there's a breakdown of what those donations were.

Of that 661 donations to Labour, about 300 came from 12 unions, about 80 came from 50 named individuals, about 200 came from various other bits of the Labour Party (so if your local Labour Party sends money up the chain, it's added in.  It's stuff like raffles and jumble sales, things like that).

Between the unions and the local Labour Party, most of the those donations came from ordinary people.  Now, in the case of the unions the collection of this money, IMO, is not appropriate and needs reform, but it cannot be denied that the Labour Party is funded, one way or another, by hundreds and thousands of small donations from many, many people.

For the Tories, of their 707 about 450 came from named individuals, and about 200 came from companies.  About 50 came from the various raffles and fairs held by Conservative Associations up and down the country.   About half of the total funding for the Tory party comes from just 70 people.

One of the problems with reform of party funding is that the big three parties all have very different funding models and getting them under one regulatory regime without bias in one direction or the other is very difficult.

Quite interesting bits in there that the Mail seem to have just lost the plot on in their rush to rant.  It's full of part-truths, misconceptions and ill-judged rants.

The bit that's most annoying though is the bit about "we compare the UK with the UK, Brazil with Brazil".  If you're a first world country that's seriously wealthy, as we are, enough to be able to fund multi-billion pound per year wars abroad, £40bn+ on a white elephant railway and £10bn on a white elephant ID card system (that was the actual cost to the taxpayer after it was fully scrapped) then you can afford to have higher standards of housing for the poorest in the country.  I read her view as looking at the big picture of government expenditure and cuts and being highly critical of this cut being targeted at probably the poorest people in the UK outside of the homeless while each year of this Parliament so far tax cuts have been brought in for the richest in the country.  Let Brazil get on with its own problems and let us look at our own.

For me, it's the relentless, no exceptions bit of it that's most worrying.  Councils have little leeway to turn a blind eye to the policy and are penalising people for having an extra bedroom but have nowhere else to put them.

A councillor friend of mine who is on the housing committee at a local council showed me a letter from a council tenant that was quite eloquent in asking the council's advice on what she should do this winter. She has two children, one son aged 8, the other a daughter aged 6, the new rules require that they should be sharing a room and she received a letter telling her that she was caught by the "subsidy" policy and was having her benefit reduced by £15 per week.  She asked whether she should take the money she's lost out of the money she puts aside for food, should she take it out of her electricity and gas money or should she just make her kids go to school this year in last year's old clothes that don't fit.  She then asked what she should do, should she move for the two years until her son reached 10 then upgrade to a bigger house again so they could have separate rooms.  She finished with a bit about how she's not sleeping on mattresses of taxpayer's money in benefits despite what the newspapers say and she's struggling to make do as it is.

Quite interesting bits in there that the Mail seem to have just lost the plot on in their rush to rant.  It's full of part-truths, misconceptions and ill-judged rants.

That more-or-less defines the Daily Mail, does it not?

On the subject of the bedroom tax, an appeals tribunal in Fife has made an interesting ruling that any room smaller than 50 square feet cannot be considered as a bedroom, and anything between 50 and 70 square feet can only be used as a child under the age of 10. There have also been successful appeals in Fife based on the fact that the spare rooms are used for different purposes, eg. used to store braille equipment, wheelchairs.

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/uk/housing-groups-quaking-in-their-boots-after-fife-bedroom-tax-judgments-1.129408