Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
slowdive

Ed Miliband

1,127 posts in this topic

Not his biggest fan, but I did enjoy Mehdi Hasan putting the boot in the Daily Mail on Question Time last night. :D

He presses all the right PB buttons to get applause but his logic is essentially the same as that of the Mail. The Mail argued (wrongly in my view) that being a commie was "un-British" and therefore Miliband senior hated Britain. Hasan argues that being non-PC is "un-British" (again I think this is wrong) and therefore hating Britain.

Rothemere may have been a deeply unpleasant man but I have no doubt that his friendship with the Nazis was built on uber-patriotism. Nor do I think that homophobia (or even racism) qualifies the Mail as "anti-British" certainly being anti-immigration doesn't.

The other reason that so many people are getting behind Ed is that they see a possibility that the loathsome Paul Dacre might be given the push by Rothermere if the fuss rumbles on for long enough.

Can we all please stop being mean to Ed.

No chance. Not even if he starts crying down the phone to his Mam and asks her to stop the big boys picking on him.

no doubt that his friendship with the Nazis was built on uber-patriotism

It was probably built on a belief in shared racial purity.  A lot of in-bred toffs lapped it up.

The good done by The Mail over Stephen Lawrence undone by  poking a sick into a wasps nest?

Paul Dacre: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24366980

According to Private Eye, Dacre is on a rolling one year contract until he is 65 and may well go at that point...ie. November next year.

It was probably built on a belief in shared racial purity.  A lot of in-bred toffs lapped it up.

Quite possibly. Either way it says nothing about his love of his country. After all Hitler, at the end, felt that Germany had failed its test and deserved its fate.

The good done by The Mail over Stephen Lawrence undone by  poking a sick into a wasps nest?

Paul Dacre: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24366980

According to Private Eye, Dacre is on a rolling one year contract until he is 65 and may well go at that point...ie. November next year.

He's also known for his fondness for a certain swearword starting with 'C'. Hence the Daily Mail staff's nickname for his staff meetings being 'The Vagina Monologues'. Lovely man, i'm sure...

Either way it says nothing about his love of his country.

It comes across that he, and several others, valued a supposed collective racial superiority over their country.

Rumours have it that there's a battery of press laying siege to the Daily Hate offices. Dacre is getting a taste of his own medicine.  8)

Not his biggest fan, but I did enjoy Mehdi Hasan putting the boot in the Daily Mail on Question Time last night. :D

Is this the guy?

article-2444637-1886EBD800000578-548_634

Now that Ed's said he intends to save the middle class, I wonder who'll step up to save the working class?

Now that Ed's said he intends to save the middle class, I wonder who'll step up to save the working class?

He'll need to win the votes of both to attempt to be able to achieve anything for either.

I often find that even if traditional working class (who ever they are now) Labour supporter who have lost faith in Labour in the last 15 years or so will still support them ?

Depends how many ex Labour who voted Liberal to keep the Tories out in 2005 & 2010 return to the fold.  Depends how many Tories vote UKIP.  I think the Tory nightmare is of UKIIP being a rightwing version of the SDP who kept Maggie in no 10 for possibly an extra five years.

Depends how many ex Labour who voted Liberal to keep the Tories out in 2005 & 2010 return to the fold.  Depends how many Tories vote UKIP.  I think the Tory nightmare is of UKIIP being a rightwing version of the SDP who kept Maggie in no 10 for possibly an extra five years.

If the ex-Labour who voted Liberal to keep the Tories out of certain seats return to the fold, won't the Tories get in in those seats?

Also, although the SDP split hampered Labour 'for a generation', they were a breakaway from the right of the party (or towards the centre of the political spectrum), and, if anything, were closer to the Tories. David Owen, for example, was outspoken in preferring Thatcher to the prospect of a Labour government.

If the split had been on the left of the party, their potential supporters at general election time would have been much more likely to return to the fold and vote for their own party.

Those Tories now saying that they will vote UKIP, and probably will do at the Euro elections, will be faced with the dilemma of 'voting UKIP and getting Miliband'. Do they vote for a party which will not get any seats, effectively making a protest vote, or do they use their vote to choose a government?

The ICM poll from the other day had Labour just 3 points ahead of the Tories, with UKIP at 10%. It doesn't take many UKIP supporters to switch to the Tories to make up that difference.

I often find that even if traditional working class (who ever they are now) Labour supporter who have lost faith in Labour in the last 15 years or so will still support them ?

When the PR referendum being voted on, I said to my mates, (who are all political hues), that a lot of, if not most people, vote for their least worst choice.

When one is reluctant to vote for his favored party, who wants to vote for 2nd, 3rd and 4th choice?

When the PR referendum being voted on, I said to my mates, (who are all political hues), that a lot of, if not most people, vote for their least worst choice.

When one is reluctant to vote for his favored party, who wants to vote for 2nd, 3rd and 4th choice?

But the referendum wasn't for PR was it? It was for AV without any proportional element. Interestingly, I suspect the torys would be less worried about UKIP had AV been carried.

I suspect the torys would be less worried about UKIP had AV been carried.

Indeed.

Quite funny really.  Provided you don't think too hard about exactly how undemocratic the country is.