Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gnidir

Your England team to beat the kangaroos

62 posts in this topic

I'm a Leeds fan and will say this. Anyone who thinks Hardaker should be a centre is just wrong. He is such a great player and has the best set of hands I have ever seen but he is the greediest player I have ever seen. Yes, he has a fantastic ability to beat the 1st man, and is like a very quick version of Wellens at his best, but when he played centre for Leeds, Hall never used to get the ball! He has a reluctance to pass the ball outside, even when that's the better option, and 9 times out of 10 will cut back inside and look to do all the work himself.

He is an outstanding young full back, but no more than a decent centre.

I'm a Leeds fan and will say this. Anyone who thinks Hardaker should be a centre is just wrong. He is such a great player and has the best set of hands I have ever seen but he is the greediest player I have ever seen. Yes, he has a fantastic ability to beat the 1st man, and is like a very quick version of Wellens at his best, but when he played centre for Leeds, Hall never used to get the ball! He has a reluctance to pass the ball outside, even when that's the better option, and 9 times out of 10 will cut back inside and look to do all the work himself.

He is an outstanding young full back, but no more than a decent centre.

And yet, Harrigan, a "great player" with the "best set of hands" and "fantastic ability to beat the 1st man" and a "very quick version of Wellens at his best" - most of which I would agree with! - surely has to find a slot in an England team that needs as many of these kinds of player as possible?

I would prefer him at full-back with Tomkins in the halves - where he and Eastmond once looked so promising for their country fully 3 years ago - but accept I'm in a tiny minority here. However, I know that you too watch the NRL and would ask just what it is about Jack Reed that appears to make him an automatic choice among so many on this forum?

Unlike Hardaker, Reed is just so slow and with no discernible creative ability or one-on-one attacking threat - and he too has been (gently) mocked by his own team mates in the press for not feeding his Broncos left-wing more than the bare minimum. Reed epitomises the humdrum nature of this Broncos team as well as anybody.

To win the World Cup, somewhere along the line England will need some moments of magic, special plays that will see individuals outpoint their opposite number in those one-on-one situations that you mentioned earlier - and Hardaker is one player more likely to produce the goods than Jack Reed.

I'm not saying he shouldn't have a spot, but seeing him play 4 for Leeds I would have to say that he would do more harm than good in that position. We have some good, strong, quick centres now and Watkins/Cudjoe would be my first choice.

Hardaker will only get better at full back too. He's only 21 years old. At the moment, if Tomkins is to stay at 1, he is still my 1st choice but if he was to move to 6 then we could fit both in. As we are all aware, this will never happen.

Not being a Huddersfield fan i obviously haven't seen much of Leroy cudjoe live but when I have seen him on sky and yesterday I've been impressed, great in defence and a great pair of hands. It's between him and reed to partner Watkins in the centres.

Play our 6 9 and 13 out of position? That won't work.

Tomkins at 6 out of position? He is much more out of position at 1 IMO

I got the 9 and 13 the wrong way around, my mistake!

Not being a Huddersfield fan i obviously haven't seen much of Leroy cudjoe live but when I have seen him on sky and yesterday I've been impressed, great in defence and a great pair of hands. It's between him and reed to partner Watkins in the centres.

One swallow and it  making a summer.................? Look cast your mind back to the last time Cudjoe was pitted against the Aussies, that was a horror story that never ought to be allowed to be repeated. As far as being a ' great defender ' goes well he was shown up in that game to be precisely the opposite.

Here I make a comparison with Reed in as much as he is in the Bronco's side because he comes up against the likes of Inglis and other great backs weekly and is defensively competent at the very least, this is the fact that is continuously overlooked by many on here.

Just to deviate a little. As good as yesterdays match was, I this morning watched one much better still Bulldogs V Warriors, which was for the quality of the play and, everything else that makes R/L the best sport to watch absolutely brilliant.  

What made yesterday's game so much better than the average CC or indeed S/L match, was that the defences were superb. Forget the attacking aspect it was the rugged committed defence that made that game stand out from most that we see in England, but that is the generally accepted form of game that is served up frequently in at the very least most NRL games and players down there are conditioned to doing that all the time or; they simply do not get to play.  

In the W/Cup such defencive tenacity will be needed against most of the S/Hemi sides and if it isn't then we will lose the games we contest against them. On that basis I would prefer those that show the ability to play/defend at that standard on a regular, rather than a one off basis.

Finally: the best international performance that Ryan Hall has yet produced was V Oz when the centre inside of him was..........Jack Reed and there has to be some sort of moral somewhere in that, surely?   

Widdop

Hall

Watkins

Ellis

Charnley

Tomkins

Brough

Graham

Mcillorum

Mossop

Westwood

Hock

Burgess

Burrow

L.burgess

Morley

JJB

Tomkins at 6 out of position? He is much more out of position at 1 IMO

I got the 9 and 13 the wrong way around, my mistake!

He's not out of position at 1. He plays their every week and is in the top 3 in the world in that position.

Widdop

Hall

Watkins

Ellis

Charnley

Tomkins

Brough

Graham

Mcillorum

Mossop

Westwood

Hock

Burgess

Burrow

L.burgess

Morley

JJB

Why swap Widdop and Tomkins around from where they play every week. Ellis will offer nothing at centre except being sound defencively. If you want that you can just put Jack Reed in there at least he is used to playing in that position. Mcillorum over Roby is a bizarre one also. JJB and Morley were good in erm 2004.

Good call mate, Cudjoe showed today why he is the most complete British centre. Defensively he is outstanding and he has a good pair of hands.

[Accepted forum wisdom]He plays for Huddersfield though and doesn't have an Australian accent so he can't be good enough.[/Accepted forum wisdom]

Joking apart, how can people seriously nominate an over the hill hack like Heighington but ignore the massively talented lads who are playing consistently well for the Giants this year?

Any combination of Roby, Lunt, McIlorum and Houghton would do me fine for the number 9 and 14 shirt. With two able to go for the full 80 minutes.