Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Daddy

Bringing back promotion and relegation will set the sport back in this country several years

144 posts in this topic

Newspapers are yesterdays medium. The poster was mentioning the coverage of the soccer promotion/relegation clashes on Sky Sports.

Since Sky cover RL and relegated/promoted teams would be either leaving or joining their coverage, it would be in their interest to A) cover the p and r news for their viewers and B) hype up any relegation battles they might be covering on their slate of televised games.

The media landscape is vastly changed since 1977. I don't think that's a relevant comparison.

Whooshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

kevin brown and gareth hock, which marquee signings did your club make????

Hock is a loan signing from Wigan, Kevin Brown is about at marquee as Tommy Saxton.

kevin brown and gareth hock, which marquee signings did your club make????

Looking forward to seeing your signing Hock play for you next season.

Hock is a loan signing from Wigan, Kevin Brown is about at marquee as Tommy Saxton.

No need to bring our players into this debate lol. But I will say id rather have tommy lol.

so come on which marquee signings did your club make for this season???

Looking forward to seeing your signing Hock play for you next season.

thats ok danny tickle is taking his place, who are barrow signing again??

thats ok danny tickle is taking his place, who are barrow signing again??

Fantastic you may break into the top ten now.

Fantastic you may break into the top ten now.

the top 10 in super league is much higher than the bottom 10 in the championships...

People who keep saying p and r won't work because there's little chance of part-timers from the championship being able to compete in the top division are probably right but aren't looking at the other possibility, which surely is to make the top division part- time again? All this argument counts for nothing. The simple truth is that rugby league is a minority sport played in a few small areas in the North and neither generates enough revenue to support all these full-time teams nor can it produce a big enough pool of players.

Super league couldn't care less what happened in the lower divisions. Bradford go bust with debts is £1.5 m get bailed out, York go bust with debts of £50,000, no one cares.

Super league may have raised fitness levels and given players time to spend all day in the gym and tattoo parlour, but it's so samey and boring. Wingers valued more for their ability to jump up and catch kicks rather than run fast and swerve past defenders. Forwards routinely getting spelled after 20 minutes etc. Bring back part time players and p and r and let's live within our means and make the game truly sustainable (and maybe more interesting?)

I used to literally get a shiver run up my spine watching the game in the 70s. Now I spend most of my time yawning.

People who keep saying p and r won't work because there's little chance of part-timers from the championship being able to compete in the top division are probably right but aren't looking at the other possibility, which surely is to make the top division part- time again? All this argument counts for nothing. The simple truth is that rugby league is a minority sport played in a few small areas in the North and neither generates enough revenue to support all these full-time teams nor can it produce a big enough pool of players.

The simple truth is the game is contracted to deliver to SKY an elite professional competition

There is no option to go part time without rejecting the SKY contract.

Reject that and the game will end up smaller than it was when it used to interest you.

so come on which marquee signings did your club make for this season???

We got an ex-SOO prop forward, but trinity don't do marquee signings these days as it's a waste of money.  Let me get this right, are you now saying that Brown is a marquee signing or not?  You seem somewhat confused.

you mean justin poore, another thug from the antipodes? and yes kevin brown is a marquee signing!!

you mean justin poore, another thug from the antipodes? and yes kevin brown is a marquee signing!!

Had he signed for Widnes St Maries then I'd agree.

yes kevin brown who has played continually in super league for his entire career and has represented his country!! but don't take that from me just look at how highly he is rated by people in the game.

yes kevin brown who has played continually in super league for his entire career and has represented his country!! but don't take that from me just look at how highly he is rated by people in the game.

He started at Wigan, got shifted to Huddersfield, and now is at Widnes.  Would you describe that as an upwards curve?

he is part of the rejuvenation of our club and will play an important part in our development. his replacement is already in place at the club in danny craven so when kevin goes it will be a seamless transition without signing some overrated antipodean.

he is part of the rejuvenation of our club and will play an important part in our development. his replacement is already in place at the club in danny craven so when kevin goes it will be a seamless transition without signing some overrated antipodean.

He's as marquee as Frank Winterstein.

I'm shocked anyone really believes that P&R will do anything other than harm RL in the UK. No surprises the only morons pushing that barrow are self-interested parties who cannot see past the end of their own nose.

Spot on.

I'm shocked anyone really believes that P&R will do anything other than harm RL in the UK. No surprises the only morons pushing that barrow are self-interested parties who cannot see past the end of their own nose.

There are no morons on this forum; not now anyway

Only because they were on the BBC with a captive audience, not because of huge interest in RL. 

And that actually makes it worse. Not only was there P&R but famous players and lots of coverage (allegedly) So why weren't RL club crowds as big as they are now? (When RL is apparently at deaths door -again)

I think you'll find that their are less people watching RL now than 20 years ago.

At that time teams like Oldham, Halifax, Featherstone, Leigh, to name but a few could regularly attract 5,000+ crowds. Now they would be lucky to get 5,000 between them. All that has happened is similar/less numbers of people are watching but are spread around fewer medium sized clubs.

SL has led to the demise at least in part to many clubs who had a decent following...This is, after all, exactly what the RL want. The only way to get close to the Australian model is to have 1 (super)league and b*gg*r everyone else. 

I think you'll find that their are less people watching RL now than 20 years ago.

At that time teams like Oldham, Halifax, Featherstone, Leigh, to name but a few could regularly attract 5,000+ crowds. Now they would be lucky to get 5,000 between them. All that has happened is similar/less numbers of people are watching but are spread around fewer medium sized clubs.

SL has led to the demise at least in part to many clubs who had a decent following...This is, after all, exactly what the RL want. The only way to get close to the Australian model is to have 1 (super)league and b*gg*r everyone else.

Suggest you check your figures

The simple truth is the game is contracted to deliver to SKY an elite professional competition

There is no option to go part time without rejecting the SKY contract.

Reject that and the game will end up smaller than it was when it used to interest you.

Maybe so Parksider, but his other point is spot on. The patterns of a SL game are becoming boring and repetitive. The RU types are not all that wrong when they go on about 5 drives and a kick. Its four drives, a move towards width involving two or three dummy runners and then a kick. you can set your watch by it.

Are you sure about Skys insistence of a fully pro SL.? So long as they get entertaining rugby which draws the crowds and more imporatntly viewers, I don't think they care one bit whether it's fully pro or not.

At that time teams like Oldham, Halifax, Featherstone, Leigh, to name but a few could regularly attract 5,000+ crowds. Now they would be lucky to get 5,000 between them. All that has happened is similar/less numbers of people are watching but are spread around fewer medium sized clubs.

Really!!!

AggregateAttendances.jpg

At that time teams like Oldham, Halifax, Featherstone, Leigh, to name but a few could regularly attract 5,000+ crowds. Now they would be lucky to get 5,000 between them. All that has happened is similar/less numbers of people are watching but are spread around fewer medium sized clubs.

So what went wrong? Why was everything great with most clubs getting great crowds, p&r was in place, household names etc yet the game nearly went belly up and had to take the sky money?

How come?