Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Drake

11/05/13 - CCup5 - Huddersfield Giants v Leeds Rhinos - 2.30pm (BBC)

Which team will go through to the next round?   14 members have voted

1. 1. Which team will go through to the next round?

• Huddersfield Giants
    • Leeds Rhinos

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

174 posts in this topic

Oh, and Hardaker's claims to be a safer option under the high ball than the incumbent England number 1 look decidedly ropy to me - great player though he is on attack.

I've a lot of time for Tomkins. But obviously as a Fev fan I'm also a big fan of Zak.  Last year in the cup tie at P O Road, Tomkins knocked on under his own posts.  It's wasn't a fifty-fifty he clearly knocked on, I saw it live, and I saw it again on the video. He got a way with it - the ref for some reason didn't give it, and on the next play he mysteriously awarded Wigan a penalty. Zak was not so lucky.

Immense performance from Huddersfield who totally outplayed their opponents, exposing the limitations of this supposedly "great" Leeds side by simply getting in their face and refusing to go away.

Huddersfield's win was all the more remarkable as not only did they have to defeat Leeds, they also had to defeat an incredibly pro-Leeds refereeing performance by the all the match officials. Huddersfield had a perfectly good try disallowed, Leeds were never onside and should have had men sent to the sin bin for employing their usual tactic of giving away penalties deliberately once their opponents got any momemtum. The amount of Leeds forward passes that went unpunished reached comedic proportions and I'd love to know how Maguire throws punches and stays on yet wardle throws punches and has to go off? The special relationship at work again if you ask me.

Anyway, the best side won in the end and it was wonderful to see Sinfield, Maguire, Bailey and the rest of them, including the truly dreadful Hetheringtons, skulking around at the finish with faces like smacked aaaarses.

Well done Huddy - gggrrreat result for Rugby League!!! I'm absolutely delighted!!!!

I used to feel like that about Wigan when they were in their pomp, but I've got over it. Leeds are a very, very good team, In  the GF last year Sinny withstood all the ###### Wire could throw at him and came up with a matchwinning performance.  Yesterday he didn't because Huddersfield were too good. Especially their defence at the start of the second half.  Sinny, Peacock, Burrow and McGuire are all old men in RL terms.  In particular I thought McGuire had a very poor game.  If Huddersfield can keep up that sort of form it will take a very good side to stop them.

Well done to Leeds for the numbers they brought over yesterday, Game wise they were just beaten by a better side on the day, It was a great game and a good performance from the Giants, I have to say that Leeds do appear sometimes to  get more than their fair share of the calls, but in this instance that may be just my bias. Would love another home tie, would rather not meet Wigan or Wolves at this stage though, Hull at home would be good, they travel well in big games and it would be another great match.

I'm blooming well hoping wire draw Wigan in the next round and get dumped out of the cup

Purely based on the fact that Huddersfield can beat anyone but Wire at the moment lol

Believe me; this isn't sour grapes.

I think Leeds are over-reliant on three players ... Sinfield, McGuire and Burrow. All are now 30 and looked a bit vulnerable yesterday, especially McGuire.

For over thirty years, the Leeds academy has been turning out top players, and Kallum Watkins and Jamie Jones Bishop have come through recently. However, I haven't seen any star-potential playmakers on the horizon.

I think the club ought to start buying now. Two needed for next season.

In addition, their two best props have limited lifespans and there are no obvious replacements within the squad

A spending spree is a must.

Unfortunately, ( a ) we have three good halfbacks and ( b ) we need the money.

:(

I think Leeds are over-reliant on three players ... Sinfield, McGuire and Burrow. All are now 30 and looked a bit vulnerable yesterday, especially McGuire.

For over thirty years, the Leeds academy has been turning out top players, and Kallum Watkins and Jamie Jones Bishop have come through recently. However, I haven't seen any star-potential playmakers on the horizon.

In addition, their two best props have limited lifespans and there are no obvious replacements within the squad

Stevie Ward.

We have some good halfs coming through currently and Liam Sutcliffe had been 18th man for the last month. The reason no one knows about them is because we have Sinfield and McGuire who haven't really missed a game in 2 years.

Maybe a subject for another thread but I can't see Sammut moving to a club like Leeds, he's a bit too unreliable for them. Controversially I think we have actually looked worse since Gale returned to the squad. I can't remember him ever having an outstanding game for us.

Who are Bradford's three good half-backs?

Bite from a bitter whino

Not bitter,if you have something constructive to post,please do.

Controversially I think we have actually looked worse since Gale returned to the squad. I can't remember him ever having an outstanding game for us.

Gale was absolutely brilliant for twenty minutes at  Warrington.

:)

Unfortunately, it was only for twenty minutes.

Immense performance from Huddersfield who totally outplayed their opponents, exposing the limitations of this supposedly "great" Leeds side by simply getting in their face and refusing to go away.

Huddersfield's win was all the more remarkable as not only did they have to defeat Leeds, they also had to defeat an incredibly pro-Leeds refereeing performance by the all the match officials. Huddersfield had a perfectly good try disallowed, Leeds were never onside and should have had men sent to the sin bin for employing their usual tactic of giving away penalties deliberately once their opponents got any momemtum. The amount of Leeds forward passes that went unpunished reached comedic proportions and I'd love to know how Maguire throws punches and stays on yet wardle throws punches and has to go off? The special relationship at work again if you ask me.

Anyway, the best side won in the end and it was wonderful to see Sinfield, Maguire, Bailey and the rest of them, including the truly dreadful Hetheringtons, skulking around at the finish with faces like smacked aaaarses.

Well done Huddy - gggrrreat result for Rugby League!!! I'm absolutely delighted!!!!

Classic.The invite is still open for you to come and meet former Wigan player Gary Hetherington.I don't suppose you will though.

Luke Gale, Jarrod Sammut, Brett Kearney

Two steady half-backs and a good fullback, I reckon. For a moment I was worried that 'stocky halfback' Danny Addy was being included.

Danny Addy is a good player. Needs a longer run imo.

Two steady half-backs and a good fullback, I reckon. For a moment I was worried that 'stocky halfback' Danny Addy was being included.

Your club will be calling in the close season, especially if Ratchford goes back to Salford.

Well thanks once again one and all for giving me a fair description of the game.Of course once ive sorted out the hicks and the sticks I form my view from the genuine unbiased poster's as most of you are

A bit late but it was a cracking game, decent forum afterwards too. And for what it's worth, I thought Cording was held up, Hardaker did exceptionally well to get a hand under the ball and another around it.

Managed to convince my football mad brother to watch the game, he had never watched so much as a clip of league in his life and was so impressed hes asked to tag along to a world cup game or 2.

A bit late but it was a cracking game, decent forum afterwards too. And for what it's worth, I thought Cording was held up, Hardaker did exceptionally well to get a hand under the ball and another around it.

I dislike Leeds intently, but I thought it was a good try, and I wondered whether Ganson liked being on the telly a bit too much.  There were far more reasons to give than not give it IMO.

Managed to convince my football mad brother to watch the game, he had never watched so much as a clip of league in his life and was so impressed hes asked to tag along to a world cup game or 2.

Why wait until then?

Why wait until then?

Good point, if it was'nt for work commitments, lack of cash and the fact that Iive in deepest darkest Norfolk I would be regular.