Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Eddie Rombo

New League Structures

84 posts in this topic

Just so happens that your club has been basking in SL with no threat of relegation and a garbage ground, why clubs like mine are dying with no hope of getting out of NL 1 - despite having a better ground.

I cant wait for us to be back playing and thrashing the likes of Wakey in the new setup. It will really revitalise many current coop clubs. Also I think that crowds at the likes and Wakey might even increase because youll get a new breed of eager away fans - something else that is dying in SL

Don't think Leigh will be thrashing anyone soon.

Not sure why Wakey are your target.

It's not a ground competition and Wakey aren't relying on away support (you are probably mixing us up with Salford).

Just so happens that your club has been basking in SL with no threat of relegation and a garbage ground, why clubs like mine are dying with no hope of getting out of NL 1 - despite having a better ground.

I cant wait for us to be back playing and thrashing the likes of Wakey in the new setup. It will really revitalise many current coop clubs. Also I think that crowds at the likes and Wakey might even increase because youll get a new breed of eager away fans - something else that is dying in SL

Lets hope Leigh can actually afford the squad they sign up to thrash Wakey eh... ;)

Didn't attend myself, but those posting on fb that went to chat to our chairman tonight are portraying it as more or less a done deal

Didn't attend myself, but those posting on fb that went to chat to our chairman tonight are portraying it as more or less a done deal

It sounds as though it has found favour with many clubs according to what was said tonight. Great system In my opinion if one or two flaws can be ironed out

If it does come off I think they will be no relegation from SL2 more like a franchise to enter like it is for SL now..

Not for the first time I'm moved to think that people in favour of P&R tend to be much more in favour of P than R.

So if Toulouse join sl2 what is the difference between this and the championship debacle. They will be semi pro still explain someone?

So if Toulouse join sl2 what is the difference between this and the championship debacle. They will be semi pro still explain someone?

I think the point is that clubs will be allowed to be pro in the 2nd div, allowing them to build a promotable team.

Logistical nightmare with season tickets and fixture lists, I really hope they have considered the law of unintended consequence when looking at 24 teams in two leagues splitting into 3 after a period of time (11 games) and then will it be a further 7 games or 14 who is going to play at home and who is going to play away games, 11 games gives an imbalance some teams will play more home games than away games and vice versa, yes there could be a magic fixture but who plays home and who plays away against home the rest of the time, I cant visualise fairness at the moment.

The concept on paper looks good but so did the Titanic.

Look it I suppose pleases everyone, facts are it is in fabric of game in uk so this format if funded properly could make bottom table games exciting. Give team in sl2 something on field to aspire to not a criteria off it.

Not for the first time I'm moved to think that people in favour of P&R tend to be much more in favour of P than R.

You've got me wrong if it was up to me I would have P&R throughout all the leagues. I just thought if the RFL wanted 2 competitive leagues then I doubted whether they would allow relegation from SL2 that's all.I just thought they would have the franchise system in place for P&R to SL2. Just for the simple reason how can a club who is in a partnership with a SL club be aloud to play possibly in the same league.

Have you been to Belle Vue in the last year or so?  The atmosphere has improved dramatically, and the ground is so garbage that it is now attracting 7000-8000 paying fans on a regular basis.  It's staggering to me that it took 140 years to put a roof on the North Terrace, but boy what a difference it's made.  

As for protected from relegation, I think that's only really true for some of the time, however Trinity have never finished in a relegation spot since the advent of superleague, and when relegation was in place they fought very hard to legitimately avoid it.  I'd hardly describe Trinity as a club that was protected from relegation, it certainly didn't feel like it at the time.  Huddersfield on the other hand.....

I think the point is that clubs will be allowed to be pro in the 2nd div, allowing them to build a promotable team.

They're allowed to be full time now. Just so happens they can't afford it.

That's the weakness, isn't it ? We're to have a middle division with four teams with (about) £1m a year more funding that the other four. There are two possibilities

1. The four better funded teams occupy the top four positions, which means no change in the starting 12 next season

2. A less well funded team gets itself into debt trying to get into the top four.

Even throwing money at it isn't going to even things up completely. Players are far more likely to sign for a team starting in the top (first phase) division rather than one in the second tier.

They're allowed to be full time now. Just so happens they can't afford it.

That's the weakness, isn't it ? We're to have a middle division with four teams with (about) £1m a year more funding that the other four. There are two possibilities

1. The four better funded teams occupy the top four positions, which means no change in the starting 12 next season

2. A less well funded team gets itself into debt trying to get into the top four.

Even throwing money at it isn't going to even things up completely. Players are far more likely to sign for a team starting in the top (first phase) division rather than one in the second tier.

The salary cap prevents KPC teams from being pro, some clubs can afford to be pro, or near pro.

I agree there is a danger of piling up debt from the smaller clubs, clearly this needs to be monitored

What makes you think Leigh have no chance of getting promotion to SL?

It seems to me that there are two possible ways for Leigh to get into Superleague.  The first is to decide that's where they are heading and work consistently and damned hard to build a club that can meet the entry criteria and use the three years to continue building until they stabilise.

The second is to campaign to have open promotion restored into SL, get lucky enough to go up and then hope to God that they can scrape enough wins together to stay up, and build the club's finances on an overly optimistic forecast of a boom in attendances that in reality will never be big enough.

I believe Leigh have already tried the second route.  It didn't go well.

As for protected from relegation, I think that's only really true for some of the time, however Trinity have never finished in a relegation spot since the advent of superleague, and when relegation was in place they fought very hard to legitimately avoid it. 

Wakefield spent a long time battling against relegation.  It seemed to be the only success criteria that the club had - quite understandably.

The effect of the change of ownership cannot be underestimated, but it surely helps the club that they have had a sustained period where they have been able to work on a longer term basis without the fear of financial oblivion.

It just seems to me that the vagaries of the business world are unpredictable enough on their own, particularly in these difficult times.  We shouldn't be adding an ever present threat of catastrophe into the mix when we don't need to.

What makes you think Leigh have no chance of getting promotion to SL?

It seems to me that there are two possible ways for Leigh to get into Superleague.  The first is to decide that's where they are heading and work consistently and damned hard to build a club that can meet the entry criteria and use the three years to continue building until they stabilise.

The second is to campaign to have open promotion restored into SL, get lucky enough to go up and then hope to God that they can scrape enough wins together to stay up, and build the club's finances on an overly optimistic forecast of a boom in attendances that in reality will never be big enough.

I believe Leigh have already tried the second route.  It didn't go well.

The first route isn't going too great either.

So how will the salary caps work?

Will League 1s be brought down from its current value and League 2 be brought up significantly, this will be the only way that the middle league will have a good chance of been competitive.

If League 1s salary cap is brought down, then in theory, there would be a much better spread of players throughout the clubs, making the game more even, which is meant to happen at the moment but clearly doesn't.

I saw in the paper that Tony Clubb and Dan Sarginson are supposedly heading to saints and wigan, for the good of the game shouldn't homegrown London players be left to develop and play in London? With a new lower salary cap, the clubs lower down the league table would be able to hang on to their players more often and have a better team. 

Once the Super League becomes more competitive, then that would be the time to raise the cap, not now.

So Featherstone Rovers are happy about joining the second half of Superleague, the one that will be cut adrift from the top tier.  So much for ambition, I want them to join Superleague, not a wishy washy watered down version where clubs won't be able to sell season ticket safe in the knowledge of what their fixtures are.

So Featherstone Rovers are happy about joining the second half of Superleague, the one that will be cut adrift from the top tier.  So much for ambition, I want them to join Superleague, not a wishy washy watered down version where clubs won't be able to sell season ticket safe in the knowledge of what their fixtures are.

The reason we're happy is that there is a fair chance of us making the top four of the middle eight in 2015 and being promoted to the top 12 for the start of the 2016 season. Assuming that we are allowed to spend significantly more than we are allowed now.

The season ticket issue is something that requires more thought, but it is not insurmountable.

My only fear with this system is that it will just become a bigger closed shop. There must be an annual route in at the bottom of SL2. How else will ambitious and/or expansion clubs make the big time, without dumping them in at the deep end like all the previous, failed attempts?

Clarification is also needed about the status of the French club(s). What happens if it/they are in the relegation spot(s)?

The reason we're happy is that there is a fair chance of us making the top four of the middle eight in 2015 and being promoted to the top 12 for the start of the 2016 season. Assuming that we are allowed to spend significantly more than we are allowed now.

The season ticket issue is something that requires more thought, but it is not insurmountable.

My view is that Featherstone are having their head patted condescendingly with this proposal.  Stick to your guns Rovers, you were given a promise that one club would be properly promoted, and this isn't it. 

My view is that Featherstone are having their head patted condescendingly with this proposal.  Stick to your guns Rovers, you were given a promise that one club would be properly promoted, and this isn't it. 

Don't think the season ticket issue will be a problem. You are buying a season ticket to get in, to support your club. I don't think ,any supporters buy a season ticket to watch the opposition.

You might not know how your team are going to do, so they may play in the top 8, middle 8 or bottom 8, but that's sport.

Can't wait for this to come in.

Don't think the season ticket issue will be a problem. You are buying a season ticket to get in, to support your club. I don't think ,any supporters buy a season ticket to watch the opposition.

You might not know how your team are going to do, so they may play in the top 8, middle 8 or bottom 8, but that's sport.

Can't wait for this to come in.

Of course it will be a problem. It's a cost thing, you can't charge the same price to watch lower league games as it is an inferior product.

The thing is, that Rovers as a club and the vast majority don't see licensing as a fair or sporting way to decide things.

We believe in P&R, others get off on shady backroom decisions. Each to their own.

I don't care if we are relegated sometimes. Without the lows, you can't appreciate the highs.

Of course it will be a problem. It's a cost thing, you can't charge the same price to watch lower league games as it is an inferior product.

That's incredibly patronising.

I buy a season ticket knowing full well that some weeks it will be a "big" club, other weeks will be a "small" club.

By your reckoning, even in the current set up, Wigan would be worth more than Cas or HKR (for example). It doesn't stop season ticket sales now.

Regardless of the opposition, I'll be there so a season ticket makes sense.

That's incredibly patronising.

I buy a season ticket knowing full well that some weeks it will be a "big" club, other weeks will be a "small" club.

By your reckoning, even in the current set up, Wigan would be worth more than Cas or HKR (for example). It doesn't stop season ticket sales now.

Regardless of the opposition, I'll be there so a season ticket makes sense.

It's also incredibly true.  Where have the extra 1000 fans come from at Rovers in the last year or so?  Like it or not die hards like you are NOT the majority even at Featherstone.  People also plan their summer holidays around fixtures, and whilst that's annoying and complex enough for the fans, how about the commercial side of things for clubs.  Should say Bradford plan for a 15000 crowd with Leeds in July, or a 5000 crowd with Halifax or Featherstone?  All it will lead to is the top clubs taking more and more cream and even if Featherstone prosper in the odd year or two they'll be even further away from the true elite within a couple of years.

It's a crackers proposal, that will slightly elevate those at the top of the championship right now for a year or so, but damage them in the long term whilst casting adrift those in the lower half of superleague right now.