Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gingerjon

BT Sport's opening gambit

40 posts in this topic

Relevant to rugby league as it may impact on Sky Sports' subscriptions in these straitened times: BT Sport channels (that's BT Sports 1&2 plus the shell of 'ESPN') will be available free to anyone who has BT Broadband at home.

Their big selling point at the minute is 38 Premier League soccer matches, 69 Aviva Premiership games and a bunch of live soccer from the WSL and Europe.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22462525

Nice to know it will be free, and a great selling point for their broadband.

They have just signed up MotoGP for the next 5 years I think too, 

They have. There doesn't seem to be any useful list right now as to what they're going to show but I imagine it will be available properly soon.

On the downside, Tim Lovejoy has a weekly programme with them.

Well, if it is indeed free - and somehow I doubt it! - then I can get it, having BT broadband.  Pity there is only soccer and rugby union on the BT channels though! 

Exclusive rights, which means the BBC coverage will end. :(

Definitely free - just signed up and got my invoice for £0 per month added to my bill.

it's free for the first 12 months if you've got BT Broadband and will then be £3 per month after that. If you havent got BT Broadband it's £15 a month.

I have a feeling the 2x12/3x8 format suggested for 2015 is with one eye on the potential of striking deals with Sky and BT and, hopefully,Bien Sports too. You can have different packages up for grabs.Everyone's always wittering on about 'what will sky think' etc etc, maybe BT will take the whole thing and then who gives a flying f what sky think

it's free for the first 12 months if you've got BT Broadband and will then be £3 per month after that. If you havent got BT Broadband it's £15 a month.

I have a feeling the 2x12/3x8 format suggested for 2015 is with one eye on the potential of striking deals with Sky and BT and, hopefully,Bien Sports too. You can have different packages up for grabs.Everyone's always wittering on about 'what will sky think' etc etc, maybe BT will take the whole thing and then who gives a flying f what sky think

Either that or Premier Sports will take the lot :laugh:

Definitely free - just signed up and got my invoice for £0 per month added to my bill.

Yep me too!

Nothing of interest on it for me,don't like soccer,rugger or moto gp.

Nothing of interest on it for me,don't like soccer,rugger or moto gp.

Me neither, so even though it's free, I don't want it.

Yep me too!

Although if the 'ESPN' channel doesn't carry baseball I will be out of pocket subscribing to MLB TV.

Get some Championship RL on here and Ill sign up !

I think that BT will still carry ESPN America which is great so i can still watch the CFL which i love:)

CM

They've bought all of the rights that ESPN and ESPN America held and they will carry forward a branded ESPN channel. The assumption - not yet confirmed - that ESPN will basically be ESPN America as the more popular stuff will be on BT Sports 1&2.

I'm all about the Saskatchewan Roughriders.

Mentioned on one news programme today that, although it's ostensibly free, you'll pay for it in increased broadband fees. And you'll have to buy a set top box because it won't be available on-line.

I had BT broadband for a number of years.  I got 0.5 mb, and despite constant pleas with them to sort it out they insisted that nothing could be done to improve the service.  I signed up with Sky, moaned a bit, and they used their muscle to get BT to take my issue seriously and I now get a speed 12 times quicker than with BT, using the same BT line.

I wouldn't trust BT as far as I could throw them, and I have no appetite for another platform/service giving me access to rugby union (which I never watch as I don't like it), and soccer (which I occasionally watch on Sky).

No thanks, not even if it's free, because free doesn't really exist does it?

No thanks, not even if it's free, because free doesn't really exist does it?

Given that they're spending £6.6m per Premier League match it's something of a surprise it's even close to being free.

They've bought all of the rights that ESPN and ESPN America held and they will carry forward a branded ESPN channel. The assumption - not yet confirmed - that ESPN will basically be ESPN America as the more popular stuff will be on BT Sports 1&2.

I'm all about the Saskatchewan Roughriders.

Can you say that without starting to stutter?

I guess they're going for a similar model to the very early Sky days (and a lot of the major internet companies, such as Facebook, Youtube etc).

That is, offer great content value for money to get the product known and people hooked. Then slowly ramp up the ads to start making massive profit.

Goodness knows that BT have got some good content to start pressuring Sky's position. And all Sky seem to have done in response is buy up a few Welsh RU games? It will be a good day for the punter if the content can remain cheap and easy via a competitive marketplace, goodness knows that Sky have had an easy ride most of the time.

Given that they're spending £6.6m per Premier League match it's something of a surprise it's even close to being free.

It's just the start. You go low to attract customers to your broadband/phone service. Don't worry, if they become a regular bidder for Premier League/Union rights, which they most likely will, those prices are going to go up accordingly. They just need market share for sports subscriptions, and there's nothing like a free deal to do that.  

It doesn't have anything to interest me, Premier Sports does though, so much RL for £8 per month, bargain.

Heck of a lot of advertising around London for BT now. Seems to ramped up this week alone, with seemingly every second billboard or newspaper page having a page having a picture of Bale, Van Persie with the major point being it's free (with small print stating on BT Broadband). They've obviously got a big budget and are splashing the cash in all forms of media.

The question is, what sport are they showing over the summer months? The premiership and RU don't run through June/July and most of May/August.

That's a big window to fill and you can't seriously suggest that cricket can bring in the punters? Possibly an opportunity for some SL games, or even the tail end of the  CC?