Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Larry the Leit

Marwan Koukash - Set to ignore the salary cap!

178 posts in this topic

The simple fact is that Rugby League has a cap that matches it's levels of income. Rugby Union has one that matches it's level of income.

The difference in turnover between RU clubs and RL clubs is staggering, especially when you look at the crowds.

As long as Union fills massive stadiums in London, Edinburgh, Cardiff, Dublin and Paris on a regular basis, and we struggle to fill Wigan, Hull, Huddersfield and Leigh, then they will always be richer.

Indeed they will, what's also missed is the idea that if Koukash can spend more than the cap he can buy in quality players, but where from?? If they let him spend another £million and he just buys up players from other SL clubs that would be a farce. He can outspend several SL clubs now, I guess he'd better just get on with doing what other top SL clubs do - go buy the best SL players the bottom clubs have.

Indeed they will, what's also missed is the idea that if Koukash can spend more than the cap he can buy in quality players, but where from?? If they let him spend another £million and he just buys up players from other SL clubs that would be a farce. He can outspend several SL clubs now, I guess he'd better just get on with doing what other top SL clubs do - go buy the best SL players the bottom clubs have.

If Union and the NRL had salary caps that were only £500k above ours then I think there would be a valid argument to raise ours to help us combat losing players. 

As their salary caps are massively higher than ours, a raise of even £500k would be a waste of time and would simply put more clubs in a difficult financial position.

Joe Ford is the Son of former Oldham , Wigan player Mike Ford , 22 a bright prospect , but playing the other code like Andy Farrell's kid .

Marquee players I guess are the best two - three players ( Internationals - ETS etc ) you have , after a set cap , anything else you pay them is up to you , providing you have either the backer- sponsorship - or business plan to afford it .

this way you get 24-36 of the best/ better players to stay in the comp?

this would also free up the cap to attract more players from RU - like above. and maybe quota players , I would suspect now are more likely to be Pacific Islander qualified who are prospects but off the NRL radar .