Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sports Prophet

There will be no new WCC format

41 posts in this topic

That's not what Steve Mascord says that Scott Carter told him (check out the latest Forty 20). And,no offence, I'm leaning more towards believing him than your contacts/voices in head ;-)

Likely to be a two team comp in 2014 in Perth. The next it will be the 3 v 3 in England exactly as Hetherington said AND AND (I'm getting excited at this point) there are plans for the NRL teams to play exhibition games in Perpignan and London beforehand.  Check out Forty 20, there's a lot more to the article than that - a very interesting international calendar ahead. Exciting times we live in!

It is an interesting article, and it is at least reassuring that there is some long term planning going on. I guess the idea of the exhibition games is that they would be instead of pre-season trial games back in Oz. Seems like the Internationals for 2015 and even 2016 are still up in the air for discussion though. The idea of South Africa hosting the 2017 WC seems very unlikely though.

Lol that's great. But that makes me curious... by what measure didn't the Scottish team look Scottish? Not enough red heads and a lack of tartan jerseys? :lol:

Exactly!

That's not what Steve Mascord says that Scott Carter told him (check out the latest Forty 20). And,no offence, I'm leaning more towards believing him than your contacts/voices in head ;-)

Likely to be a two team comp in 2014 in Perth. The next it will be the 3 v 3 in England exactly as Hetherington said AND AND (I'm getting excited at this point) there are plans for the NRL teams to play exhibition games in Perpignan and London beforehand.  Check out Forty 20, there's a lot more to the article than that - a very interesting international calendar ahead. Exciting times we live in!

Do you have a link for that article? if not, can it be scanned and put up here? I'd love to read it !

It is an interesting article, and it is at least reassuring that there is some long term planning going on. I guess the idea of the exhibition games is that they would be instead of pre-season trial games back in Oz. Seems like the Internationals for 2015 and even 2016 are still up in the air for discussion though. The idea of South Africa hosting the 2017 WC seems very unlikely though.

That hasn't seriously been discussed has it?!

Dont worry about the voices in my head (not yet anyway, I will let you know when to be concerned).

I am told that this info from Steve Mascord is a little out of date compared to the recent (less than two weeks ago) NRL Commission meeting which outlined their disapproval of any change to the format.

Ultimately, while the RLIF have no power to enforce any change to the WCC structure, there will be no change in the format accepted by the NRLC.

The expanded WCC was never going to happen.

Whats in it for the NRL Clubs?

i have heard this before DHW, but all I have to say is Tony Carroll. Don't start getting on some moral high ground. The Aussies have been at the forefront of ruining international RL for almost 20 years

You used the term "steal" a term that that is extremely patronising to those individuals that chose to play for Australia or New Zealand, nobody held abducted these players and held a gun to their heads they chose who they wanted to play for. If anything it is Australia that is hard done by since they are responsible for teaching these players to play RL.

How many players representing the the likes for Samoa and Tonga have actually learnt to play RL outside Austrlia or new Zealand.

As stated already instead of destroying international RL without Austrlia amd to a lesser extent New Zealand international RL would be in a far worse state.

That hasn't seriously been discussed has it?!

I'll quote Scott Carter from the interview:-

As RLIF chairman, I can say that there are two bids. There's South Africa, a country where there is definitely the infrasctructure and experience to stage an event of this magnitude. There is definitely still interest there. However, the SARL is having recognition issues with the government.

As NZRL chairman, I would say that the joint bid  of Australia and New Zealand, considering the audience and facilities would have overwhelming merit.

Steve Mascord does add that bid documents have gone out to SARL, ARL and the NZRL, so this interest may get no further than that. Carter does say further in the interview, in reference to the possible game between an Anzac side and GB in April 2015 that "some things get discussed without really being considered seriously".

Do you have a link for that article? if not, can it be scanned and put up here? I'd love to read it !

Guessing from your username you can't just pop down the shops and buy it - they don't put articles up to read for free so I'd reccomend looking at their digital issues online - http://www.exacteditions.com/read/forty20 - will cost a couple of quid for the latest issue but if you like RL then you will love it, jam-packed full of similar articles. Downside is you will have to read off a screen so hopefully you have a tablet computer or such similar device. Think you can download a PDF as well which you can select bits to print off if you prefer.

RLW is good too mind, I feel obliged to say at this point!

I'll quote Scott Carter from the interview:-

Steve Mascord does add that bid documents have gone out to SARL, ARL and the NZRL, so this interest may get no further than that. Carter does say further in the interview, in reference to the possible game between an Anzac side and GB in April 2015 that "some things get discussed without really being considered seriously".

Think it would be good if a joint bid between NZ, Western Australia and South Australia would be good, since the last one was only on the East Coasy,

Think it would be good if a joint bid between NZ, Western Australia and South Australia would be good, since the last one was only on the East Coasy,

Well, Carter does say that for both the 2014 4 Nations and the 2017 WC, a bidding process will be used to decide venues. A lobbying process has already begun for 2014 to the interested cities know which games are available. As Carter says, if a NZ city wants to bid for the final they can - so if Perth or Adelaide are interested they can bid as well.

Guessing from your username you can't just pop down the shops and buy it - they don't put articles up to read for free so I'd reccomend looking at their digital issues online - http://www.exacteditions.com/read/forty20 - will cost a couple of quid for the latest issue but if you like RL then you will love it, jam-packed full of similar articles. Downside is you will have to read off a screen so hopefully you have a tablet computer or such similar device. Think you can download a PDF as well which you can select bits to print off if you prefer.

RLW is good too mind, I feel obliged to say at this point!

Thanks. i already subscribe to RLW, may also do with Forty20 ! need to get my fix of UKRL here in Oz !

You used the term "steal" a term that that is extremely patronising to those individuals that chose to play for Australia or New Zealand, nobody held abducted these players and held a gun to their heads they chose who they wanted to play for. If anything it is Australia that is hard done by since they are responsible for teaching these players to play RL.

How many players representing the the likes for Samoa and Tonga have actually learnt to play RL outside Austrlia or new Zealand.

As stated already instead of destroying international RL without Austrlia amd to a lesser extent New Zealand international RL would be in a far worse state.

Well DHW, I am not sure where I used the word or term "steal" like you have claimed.

I am sure many players started playing in their home countries or were taught in the beginning by their fathers in the park.

Regardless, the advantage of Aus training players from other countries to play at a high level is that they play week on week in the NRL.

Until this year however, NRL clubs have restricted the opportunity for regular high profile fixtures between these nations because the players wouldn't be released mid season like they are for SOO and the ANZAC test. The snowball effect is that to get high profile fixtures, players from the pacific had to represent Aus or NZ.

so because there are Aussies playing for Italy and Ireland and whoever, don't kid yourself that the NRL/ARL have had a strong recent history in developing the international game.

so because there are Aussies playing for Italy and Ireland and whoever, don't kid yourself that the NRL/ARL have had a strong recent history in developing the international game.

No... apart from inadvertedly being the main reason New Zealand is worth a damn as a league entity, while being the current world champions of the game. Apart from that, Australia have had no role in developing the international game.

People really ought to stop looking at the international game and international development in such a restrictive sense. The strength of the NRL has been responsible for major development of the international game in the southern hemisphere.

People really ought to stop looking at the international game and international development in such a restrictive sense. The strength of the NRL has been responsible for major development of the international game in the southern hemisphere.

Please explain this point? 

1. What major development has there been to the international game in the southern hemisphere?

2. How is the NRL responsible?

I think you are trying to make a good point however. If it is that the NRL should be leading the charge for southern hemisphere and RFL or RLEF for northern hemisphere give or take a few anomalies then I agree. It's just a shame the NRL have done very little over the past 15 years in their neck of the woods 

Please explain this point? 

1. What major development has there been to the international game in the southern hemisphere?

2. How is the NRL responsible?

I think you are trying to make a good point however. If it is that the NRL should be leading the charge for southern hemisphere and RFL or RLEF for northern hemisphere give or take a few anomalies then I agree. It's just a shame the NRL have done very little over the past 15 years in their neck of the woods 

My point was more that the Aussies don't have to particularly try and strengthen international rugby league, but that by being selfish, and focusing on making the NRL the best competition it can be, they're inadvertedly growing the games profile and popularity in surrounding countries.

New Zealand became a top 3 side alongside Aus and GB not because of any intentional effort to grow the international game, but because the Aussies - self interested bastards that they are - wanted to strengthen domestic Australian league. Hence they scouted heavily in New Zealand for talent to sign, they opted for a NZ-based team in the NRL, etc.

People like to look at New Zealand and pretend it's some accident, that the Aussies had f-all to do with it, but if NZ was next door to England they wouldn't be the entity they are today, let's be honest, they sure as hell wouldn't be the world champs. And you can say that confidently because there's France and Wales sitting on our doorstep and they're both abject failures by comparison!

Fiji, Samoa, Tonga and PNG will all have very strong international teams in 10 years, nevermind 20, and that's mostly because of Australian self-interest; them having a great competition and putting domestic league over everything else. It sounds almost oxymoronical on face value, improving the international game by caring only for their domestic product, but it makes perfect sense if you sit down and think about it.

The strength of the Pacific Island nations is remarkable given the small populations and naff economies, and it's all on the back of the Australians and the elite standards of their domestic game. It's because the game is of such a high standard in Australia, because Aussies only care about Aussies, that these surrounding nations are as strong as they are. Wales and France have a strong economy and tons of people, the infrastructure and societies are ripe for success, they should be up there with New Zealand, instead they get knocked about by teams like Samoa.

The NRL and the Australians could absolutely do more, but it's a crime to underestimate how much they're doing already, irrespective of their motivations. As English fans we really have no right to point the finger at Australia and preach to them. There's this prevailing notion that the Australia-first attitude of Australians is hindering the international game because they're in a position to do something but don't do enough, all the while people who say this are conveniently overlooking the likelihood that if the Australians were more internationally minded and selfless in their approach to league, they wouldn't be in position to do what they do already, let alone do more than they're doing right now, because their domestic game would be much weaker.

As I see it English league fans want Australia to spearhead an uber-credible international scene, at the expense of their own domestic game, because there's a sense it will give league in the UK credibility and increase the popularity and standing of the game amongst British sports fans. It won't. Nobody gives basketball a second thought despite its international credibility. To me wanting a hugely successfull league nation to grow the international game misses the point; you don't need a super-legitimate international scene to have success as a sport. Australia should be an example to us as to how we should run our own game, instead we sit around with talk of how 'If league was as big here we'd be doing much more for the international game'... It seems like every league fan in England is crouching down and letting the point fly right over their head.

I'd love to see a ton of international growth, the more league the merrier, but I'm not going to berate the Australians for putting the Australian game first. They're competing with AFL, cricket, rugby, soccer and basketball, they're right to take the approach they are doing. They've got their priorities straight as far as I'm concerned.