Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Brigg Rover

Has Rugby League Improved since the early 70's

58 posts in this topic

In two words, Bill Fallowfield - a mole from the RFU sent to destroy the game. Not only did he turn out at lock for Moortown RFC, he also tried to re-introduce the Union style ruck after the tackle.

Have you any more detail to share Trojan?  It's well before my time, and his Wiki entry gives me nothing to go on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Fallowfield

It was also Fallowfield's decision to abolish the Welsh national team, at a time when they were pretty decent.

What sport didn't have tobacco sponsorship once the government had banned TV advertising?  Union, Cricket, Snooker, Formula One, RL, I'm sure there are loads more.  It's said that when a Tory health minister tried to ban tobacco sponsorship of sport Denis Thatcher himself (a former Union ref) intervened to put a stop to the ban because Union were benefitting from John Player.

it was a question of extent and dependence.

For much of the 70s  80s and beyond  rugby league was completely dependent on tobacco and alcohol sponsorship

not just the player' number 6/john player trophy , but the challenge cup-involving everal successive brands.

This was a measure ofthe narrowness of Rugby League's appeal to sponsors as much as the spread oftobacco and alcohol sponsorship.

It was also Fallowfield's decision to abolish the Welsh national team, at a time when they were pretty decent.

he also scuppered the world cup,

Have you any more detail to share Trojan?  It's well before my time, and his Wiki entry gives me nothing to go on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Fallowfield

covered extensively in the writings of Tony Collins

Interesting that the article quoted on the wikipedia pages say he introduced the limited tackle law. Isn't that something that RL fans see as a good thing?

covered extensively in the writings of Tony Collins

I must get round to reading more of his stuff.  I don't suppose you could tap out a very brief précis could you Frank?

Interesting that the article quoted on the wikipedia pages say he introduced the limited tackle law. Isn't that something that RL fans see as a good thing?

One swallow and all that I'd guess.  I don't mind a drop of Fanta from time to time etc.

I must get round to reading more of his stuff.  I don't suppose you could tap out a very brief précis could you Frank?

One swallow and all that I'd guess.  I don't mind a drop of Fanta from time to time etc.

will do

Fallowfield didn't introduce it although it was done on his prolongued watch.

Limited tackles were introduced in Australia after St George had pretty much sewn up unlimited tackle rugby tactically season upon season.