Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lobbygobbler

Feelgood factor back with P&R return

129 posts in this topic

The big dream of franchised game has been shown up for what it is. A waste of time.

Its just a shame that so much damage has been done to the game outside SL.

It wasn't and isn't a dream and it isn't a 'franchise'

It something that exists to replace and undo the damage caused by a flawed, discredited and regressive system

Jon - its a good increase for Hemel, but I'm hoping that crowds will double in Co-Op 1 when P&R returns to SL. Imagine what crowds a good Hemel team might get then....

There's no way that Hemel could get promotion to SL even if a straight pathway existed. You're in favour of standards-based P&R.

Hemel has one stand that holds 300 people.

Even in your world they're not replacing Castleford any time soon.

Exactly, PSG, Gateshead, crusaders have come and gone, while London make up the numbers season after season at the expense of traditional clubs like Oldham, Halifax, Featherstone, keighley etc who have seen their support dwindle.

London/Harlequins have never finished bottom or in a relegation spot.

No matter how bad we've been.

What have the NRC Final and Championship GF got to do with SL?

The international game and the Challenge Cup have something to do with the Championships.

Kind of a strange argument based on unreasonable and unrelated demands!

It was a silly reply to an even sillier posting

I look forward with great enthusiasm to a new era which reunites the fans at all levels. Looks like Sid and Doris Bonkers may have been right after all.

It was a silly reply to an even sillier posting. I look forward with great enthusiasm to a new era which reunites the fans at all levels. Looks like Sid and Doris Bonkers may have been right after all.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

It looks like they (the rfl) may well get there in the end terry!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

It looks like they (the rfl) may well get there in the end terry!

Aye, lets hope so Robin

It's weird stuff

Attending rugby games featuring the best players in the world is apparently a 'favour' and the reasons people have given for virtually boycotting the World Cup are unbelievable well maybe not when I think about it.

Nobody has to of course: but it does illustrate the self serving parochial attitutudes of some people.

what, no immorality ?

I look forward with great enthusiasm to a new era which reunites the fans at all levels.

Hippy.

Oh happy days....

Bringing on back the good times...

Back to being a small fish in a big pond . B) .

679 today for Hemel v Oldham. A few seasons ago I counted a crowd of 50 there.

The game outside Super League looks pretty damn good from where I'm sitting.

(In a shiny new stand with a special roof that lets the rain in).

Holes in the roof already?

But that is an excellent crowd.

Holes in the roof already?

But that is an excellent crowd.

There's a big hole in the front that you see out of - and it doesn't have sides as such. When the wind is gusting the rain is thus driven into the stand. I probably wouldn't have noticed it so much but the two boys I was with made their displeasure with the weather known.

That was the crowd I heard announced. There were a lot there!

maybe, but a small fish that had a big bite ;-)

maybe, but a small fish that had a big bite ;-)

Every dog(fish) has it's day.

Every dog(fish) has it's day.

very true and hopefully featherstone will have theirs once again!!

We'll have to see won't we? At least the water won't be as stagnant

very true and hopefully featherstone will have theirs once again!!

I'm sure they will.

The big dream of franchised game has been shown up for what it is. A waste of time.

Its just a shame that so much damage has been done to the game outside SL.

Has it? I'm in favour of a managed return to P&R but I'm not sure how you've come to that conclusion.

There's no way that Hemel could get promotion to SL even if a straight pathway existed. You're in favour of standards-based P&R.

Hemel has one stand that holds 300 people.

Even in your world they're not replacing Castleford any time soon.

I wasnt saying that Hemel could go up immediately, but others could (e.g. Cru) and that will swell crowds down at Hemel causing a snowball effect. BTW - It wasnt so long ago that Quins RU only had one stand.

what, no immorality ?

Taken as read

I wasnt saying that Hemel could go up immediately, but others could (e.g. Cru) and that will swell crowds down at Hemel causing a snowball effect. BTW - It wasnt so long ago that Quins RU only had one stand.

If you are right about all these things it makes you wonder how everything you suggest was so tragically wrong prior to 1996.

My memory might be failing me but weren't we collectively bankrupt?

Interesting article from Mr Sadler on the TRL front page which highlights some of the possible problems

http://www.totalrl.com/forums/index.php/page/index.html/_/league-express/change-brings-unintended-consequences-r12

The main one being, surprisingly, money. The lack of.

I take it the game's TV broadcast partners are being involved in the development of the new league structures, and whether they will be attractive enough to win the big money (or at least as much as the game is getting at present). Two of the proposals seem to be what we've had in the recent past: a full-time Super League with p&r from a part-time lower-tier; with the same problems, as the RFL statement seems to recognise.

Which leaves the third proposal, the 2x12, 3x8 option. The Super 8 looks a tremendous prospect, and, on the face of it, having a Middle 8 fighting it out for positions in next year's 12 team Super League could make for a fascinating competition. The problem is still going to be the difference in funding between the top tier and the second tier: the Middle 8 is going to be between 4 clubs with Super League funding and 4 with Championship (as Martyn points out in the article).

The biggest problem, also as made in the link, is likely to be a greater fragmentation in standards. The top 8 are likely to get stronger still through receiving greater funding - through bigger attendances by playing in the Super 12 and the Super Super 8, and the increased TV monies such a fixture list would entail. There is a possibility, or even probability, that the next 4 are going to be constantly self-selecting. The bottom 4 of the Super 12 will be better resourced than the top 4 of the Bottom 12, and are likely to 'bounce back' year after year by dominating the Middle 8.

So we could end up with a very definite top 8 clubs, followed by another two distinct groups of four, and the bottom 8 - with little or no movement between them. Current Championship clubs could find themselves further away from playing the elite than they are now.

There's a big hole in the front that you see out of - and it doesn't have sides as such. When the wind is gusting the rain is thus driven into the stand. I probably wouldn't have noticed it so much but the two boys I was with made their displeasure with the weather known.

That was the crowd I heard announced. There were a lot there!

Side panels are the answer!

Interesting article from Mr Sadler on the TRL front page which highlights some of the possible problems

http://www.totalrl.com/forums/index.php/page/index.html/_/league-express/change-brings-unintended-consequences-r12

The main one being, surprisingly, money. The lack of.

I take it the game's TV broadcast partners are being involved in the development of the new league structures, and whether they will be attractive enough to win the big money (or at least as much as the game is getting at present). Two of the proposals seem to be what we've had in the recent past: a full-time Super League with p&r from a part-time lower-tier; with the same problems, as the RFL statement seems to recognise.

Which leaves the third proposal, the 2x12, 3x8 option. The Super 8 looks a tremendous prospect, and, on the face of it, having a Middle 8 fighting it out for positions in next year's 12 team Super League could make for a fascinating competition. The problem is still going to be the difference in funding between the top tier and the second tier: the Middle 8 is going to be between 4 clubs with Super League funding and 4 with Championship (as Martyn points out in the article).

The biggest problem, also as made in the link, is likely to be a greater fragmentation in standards. The top 8 are likely to get stronger still through receiving greater funding - through bigger attendances by playing in the Super 12 and the Super Super 8, and the increased TV monies such a fixture list would entail. There is a possibility, or even probability, that the next 4 are going to be constantly self-selecting. The bottom 4 of the Super 12 will be better resourced than the top 4 of the Bottom 12, and are likely to 'bounce back' year after year by dominating the Middle 8.

So we could end up with a very definite top 8 clubs, followed by another two distinct groups of four, and the bottom 8 - with little or no movement between them. Current Championship clubs could find themselves further away from playing the elite than they are now.

That's the top and bottom of it. Martyn pretty much nails it.

Tony Smith also isn't a fan: http://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/sport/wolves/wolvesnews/10414657.Smith__concerned__about_rugby_league_s_leadership/?ref=twtrec