Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

weloveyouwakefield2

Tony Smith

80 posts in this topic

He does make some good points around the whole leadership thing. I'm not overly comfortable with the way a lot of this discussion around structures is being done so publicly. I have no major issues with anything being taken off the table, but his point about just being given a multiple choice is a good one.

I'd rather have had some real strong recommendations - it sounds like that wasn;t the case. Still bring options and let people vote, but make it absolutely clear what the expected outcome of each decision is. I may be doing the leaders a dis-service as they may have done all this, but it's not the way it's coming across.

I think he nails it on all counts - including his opinion on the points deduction for Salford.

I reckon we need somebody at the head of Rugby League to take the 'bull by the horns' to take the game forward, we need more money in the game which takes strong leadership and a pathway to show our sport is the way to go! The young players and players need somewhere to play NOT dual registration! I think a SL1 and 2 is a way togo with a leader of the RFL going out there and getting enough money to fund it, full time! Look at the viewing figures for our sport, why do we get treated so badly?? Only a strong leader and a good leader can pull these things together because at the moment we have nobody!!

I think he make some VERY good points and probably speaks what a lot of people have been thinking.

But at the same time is it a good thing to have yet another contrasting opinion being aired in public, especially one undermining the management of the game?

You hope that these are the sorts of comments that would get made directly to the individuals involved, rather that to a newspaper as a rant. Otherwise these things become public mud-slinging matches that bring the game into a bad light. What's the bet that Koukash comes out now in rebuttal...

I think he make some VERY good points and probably speaks what a lot of people have been thinking.

But at the same time is it a good thing to have yet another contrasting opinion being aired in public, especially one undermining the management of the game?

You're probably right, but at least it's a bit of balance on the structure side of things.

I was under the impression that the 20's ended at the behest of Super League chairmen.

The development of young players,particularly in the Championship,has been interrupted by clubs like Warrington,using  clubs like Swinton,for the not-so-young,returning from injury players,to gain some match fitness.

All I want now is for Salford City Reds to come out with some mitigating circumstances for their 14 players.....only seen by one man,at the time.

I was under the impression that the 20's ended at the behest of Super League chairmen.

The development of young players,particularly in the Championship,has been interrupted by clubs like Warrington,using  clubs like Swinton,for the not-so-young,returning from injury players,to gain some match fitness.

All I want now is for Salford City Reds to come out with some mitigating circumstances for their 14 players.....only seen by one man,at the time.

I think Warrington were keen to keep the 20s.  They have made a mockery of dual reg though.

Good interview, with some solid and well thought out points. Does he want a job at the RFL?

Tony Smith has an excellent track record as a CLUB manager. That is all.

well, being that he is currently a club manager I suppose he wouldn't ask for any more. What else should he have an excellent track record in?

I however think he is a visionary and a great leader. Those who have played under him will tell you the same. He would make a very good director of the RFL.

I think Warrington were keen to keep the 20s.  They have made a mockery of dual reg though.

Just to be murky, a cynic may think they are doing their best to undermine the system so it has to be scrapped next year. We can at least hope so.

Do we know which clubs voted in favour of Hetherington's dual registration idea?

I however think he is a visionary and a great leader. Those who have played under him will tell you the same. He would make a very good director of the RFL.

He would be brilliant. I have heard him speak and he comes across really well.

But, he would need to learn to look into the camera and at the interviewer.

Just to be murky, a cynic may think they are doing their best to undermine the system so it has to be scrapped next year. We can at least hope so.

Do we know which clubs voted in favour of Hetherington's dual registration idea?

yep, I made a similar point a while back. I do think Warrington may be pushing things to highlight some flaws in it.

well, being that he is currently a club manager I suppose he wouldn't ask for any more. What else should he have an excellent track record in?

GB manager?

GB manager?

I quite enjoyed the whitewashing of NZ, although yes the WC was a disappointment.

Whatever way you look at it a 12 team premier level competition reduces the number of teams playing at the highest level. When you think one and possibly 2 of those teams are in France (and 2 could be in the same city) it paints the sport a

very minor player.

Tony Smith is the only person publicly speaking sense on this issue. P&R can't return. It is a relic of the past that will destroy the development of players in this country, as well as make a weaker league where the gap between big and small clubs (which has narrowed dramatically since licensing came in) grow wider.

Yes, certain posters on here, who have self-interest in their own tin-pot championship clubs want to see P&R return, but at what cost? It will set the game back 20 years here. It will destroy any chance England have of ever catching Australia. But that's ok, cos Leigh and Fev will get a chance to be in SL for a season every few years, and put out squads with 12 b-grade Aussies each and get tonked by 50 points each week. Self interest>progress of the game hey.

If SL must make changes for sustainability, then reduce to 12 teams. Axe Cas and HKR, as they have the most well-documented financial problems, and ultimately, SL is already represented by other clubs in their areas.

But whatever happens, don't bring back P&R. It would be a disaster

I don't always agree with Smith's general thoughts on the game, but to dismiss them as moaning is to ignore (in true pig-headed RL fan style) the clarity of the arguments expressed here.

I would agree with those that say a head coach isn't the only stakeholder, but it certainly is one and requires consideration. Moreover, I often dismiss certain 'club views' as they are generally founded in self-interest and self-preservation, be it financial or whatever. I don't think you can say that's the case here, it's about youth development and the stability of the game.

Axe Cas and HKR, as they have the most well-documented financial problems,

I thinkn Wakefield, Bradford and Salford have much more well-documented financial issue.

Don't be a bandwagoner

I thinkn Wakefield, Bradford and Salford have much more well-documented financial issue.

Don't be a bandwagoner

What do Cas fans think of the new proposals?  I've had a look around Casforum to try and see what the consensus is, but the subject has hardly registered.

What do Cas fans think of the new proposals?  I've had a look around Casforum to try and see what the consensus is, but the subject has hardly registered.

I don't know all of them so can't comment- personally I don't care too much to be honest

Tony Smith is the only person publicly speaking sense on this issue. P&R can't return. It is a relic of the past that will destroy the development of players in this country, as well as make a weaker league where the gap between big and small clubs (which has narrowed dramatically since licensing came in) grow wider.

Yes, certain posters on here, who have self-interest in their own tin-pot championship clubs want to see P&R return, but at what cost? It will set the game back 20 years here. It will destroy any chance England have of ever catching Australia. But that's ok, cos Leigh and Fev will get a chance to be in SL for a season every few years, and put out squads with 12 b-grade Aussies each and get tonked by 50 points each week. Self interest>progress of the game hey.

If SL must make changes for sustainability, then reduce to 12 teams. Axe Cas and HKR, as they have the most well-documented financial problems, and ultimately, SL is already represented by other clubs in their areas.

But whatever happens, don't bring back P&R. It would be a disaster

Another Aussie with crazy views which would kill RL in every town apart from the twelve already there. What you forget is that we dont have twelve big clubs and the fans of the others will never watch their poxy rivals who are no bigger really. Theyll just watch soccer