Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

weloveyouwakefield2

Tony Smith

80 posts in this topic

Another Aussie with crazy views which would kill RL in every town apart from the twelve already there. What you forget is that we dont have twelve big clubs and the fans of the others will never watch their poxy rivals who are no bigger really. Theyll just watch soccer

are you always so closed minded based on where a person was born?

Isnt there a word for that kind of thing?

are you always so closed minded based on where a person was born?

Isnt there a word for that kind of thing?

Eh? I have no idea where either of them was born but most Aussies (not all mind) dont seem to have much of a clue about how British sporting tradition works

Another Aussie with crazy views which would kill RL in every town apart from the twelve already there. What you forget is that we dont have twelve big clubs and the fans of the others will never watch their poxy rivals who are no bigger really. Theyll just watch soccer

What is crazy about his post? And please try to keep the hyperbole in check...

What is crazy about his post? And please try to keep the hyperbole in check...

It's crazy because closing the drawbridge forever to SL will kill off all clubs outside SL (inc. mine). It will slowly kill off the amateur game also in those places, thus reducing the number of players coming through. It will also mean many RL fans will be lost forever (inc. me) and cancel their sky subscriptions. It will also stifle expansion for potentially new ambitious clubs

Soccer's main asset is its sheer number of ambitious clubs. We should aim to follow a similar path and the only way to do this is in the UK to have a healthy P&R system.

It's crazy because closing the drawbridge forever to SL will kill off all clubs outside SL (inc. mine). It will slowly kill off the amateur game also in those places, thus reducing the number of players coming through. It will also mean many RL fans will be lost forever (inc. me) and cancel their sky subscriptions. It will also stifle expansion for potentially new ambitious clubs

Soccer's main asset is its sheer number of ambitious clubs. We should aim to follow a similar path and the only way to do this is in the UK to have a healthy P&R system.

If you are right ( and I'm not saying your not) about the fans not being prepared to travel to another town to support a successful team,then that is different to the soccer model.

In soccer the big clubs have as many out of own supporters as residents. You see Leeds United, Liverpool and Man U shirts in every town across the land.

So, what does that say about our game itself? We claim its the TGG. We wonder why other people don't see that it's a much better game than soccer and miles better than rugby union ( I see more Leicester Tigers shirts in Coventry than I do Coventry RFC shirts, so in union fans will travel to watch a winning team)

If our game is that good why don't people flock to see the big teams?

Perhaps we are deluding ourselves

British RL is in no way comparable to British soccer though, and you're making a lot of hyperbolic predictions...

Eh? I have no idea where either of them was born but most Aussies (not all mind) dont seem to have much of a clue about how British sporting tradition works

which traditionn is that?

It will also mean many RL fans will be lost forever (inc. me)

You've been threatening that for as long as I've known you...

I recall you telling me once that you were going to walk away from RL because they'd never allow Leigh into Superleague.  That must have been getting on for ten years back now.  

If you are right ( and I'm not saying your not) about the fans not being prepared to travel to another town to support a successful team,then that is different to the soccer model.

In soccer the big clubs have as many out of own supporters as residents. You see Leeds United, Liverpool and Man U shirts in every town across the land.

So, what does that say about our game itself? We claim its the TGG. We wonder why other people don't see that it's a much better game than soccer and miles better than rugby union ( I see more Leicester Tigers shirts in Coventry than I do Coventry RFC shirts, so in union fans will travel to watch a winning team)

If our game is that good why don't people flock to see the big teams?

Perhaps we are deluding ourselves

There are lots of out of town United fans - but they have always been fans of that club. Its almost unheard of in football for fans to turncoat

which traditionn is that?

the British one. Keep things British! 

Don't let those foreigners have a say in our game!

There are lots of out of town United fans - but they have always been fans of that club. Its almost unheard of in football for fans to turncoat

What are you banging on about? How the hell do you know that?

I know a few people who have different clubs that they support. I know a person who used to support Rangers and now supports Celtic (an extreme example to be fair!) - I know a Spurs fan who is now a Man U fan and so on.

He's not right because I meet RL fans who simply do what soccer fans do. Choose whichever club they want to watch and change clubs when it suits.

Others on here have also contributed their experiences of how fans will pick, choose and travel from all over to watch clubs, especially the top clubs.

Do you mean the long tradition in RL of not having P&R.

Do you mean the long tradition in RL of not having P&R.

We had P&R for most of the last 40 years. Before then everyone had a crack at each other. Are you saying we should go back to one division?

What are you banging on about? How the hell do you know that?

I know a few people who have different clubs that they support. I know a person who used to support Rangers and now supports Celtic (an extreme example to be fair!) - I know a Spurs fan who is now a Man U fan and so on.

In your town there are many Liverpool and United fans who have been fans of that club since they were nippers. I'll bet less than 1% have switched allegiance (and you probably know this but wont admit it in case you offend the tiny antipromotion clique on here)

In your town there are many Liverpool and United fans who have been fans of that club since they were nippers. I'll bet less than 1% have switched allegiance (and you probably know this but wont admit it in case you offend the tiny antipromotion clique on here)

no there isn't. As usual you are spouting nonsense. Where is my town? Sgain, what are you banging on about?

Why would i change my opinion so as not to offend people I have never met? I actually think you have genuine issues, or are simply the most arrogant person I have ever encountered.

Mental.

Tony Smith is the only person publicly speaking sense on this issue. P&R can't return. It is a relic of the past that will destroy the development of players in this country, as well as make a weaker league where the gap between big and small clubs (which has narrowed dramatically since licensing came in) grow wider.

Yes, certain posters on here, who have self-interest in their own tin-pot championship clubs want to see P&R return, but at what cost? It will set the game back 20 years here. It will destroy any chance England have of ever catching Australia. But that's ok, cos Leigh and Fev will get a chance to be in SL for a season every few years, and put out squads with 12 b-grade Aussies each and get tonked by 50 points each week. Self interest>progress of the game hey.

If SL must make changes for sustainability, then reduce to 12 teams. Axe Cas and HKR, as they have the most well-documented financial problems, and ultimately, SL is already represented by other clubs in their areas.

But whatever happens, don't bring back P&R. It would be a disaster

I really don't know where to begin with this; so rather than beat about the bush may I throw one or two things into the discussion.

Firstly, I am very uneasy about the convoluted, complicated structures being proposed. I am a simple soul. I believe I'm like most simple sports fans in that I like to see simplicity and clear goals and targets. I used to think that it was only the Americans that could take a straight forward sporting challenge and then turn it into something only

Einstein's big sister could understand. I was obviously wrong.

Mind you, I know that I should have died out with the rest of the dinosaurs because I believe that a team coming top of the league should be regarded as the champions. You can have as many cups and play off systems as you like and call them what you will but it should be secondary to the achievement of winning a league.

As for Promotion and relegation...well...what can I say?

SL has been such a success that they can't even afford to run an under 20's. They've already had several years of "stability" and "development" and still are as far away from the Aussies as ever and they still see clubs going bust and plying their trade in grounds that have long needed repair and development - how much more time do they need?

The lack of P&R hasn't really helped that much has it?

I'm really impressed with the comments about promoted Championship clubs having to fill their teams with journeyman Aussies to survive. The SL (and even before SL) have set the standards on that one. I really do think that Championship teams shouldn't be lectured about what has become the norm in SL.

I believe it is time for the RFL to get a reality check. In the great scheme of things we're a minority sport. Yes we have a great "product" on the field but off it we're ineffectual. If we keep looking at only the large clubs then we'll slowly disappear up our own backsides in time.

We've started to develop the game all over the country. It's small scale but it's a promising start. What we really need is patience and competition we can all appreciate and enjoy.

no there isn't. As usual you are spouting nonsense. Where is my town? Sgain, what are you banging on about?

Why would i change my opinion so as not to offend people I have never met? I actually think you have genuine issues, or are simply the most arrogant person I have ever encountered.

Mental.

It's pretty obvious Lobby's referring to Warrington.  

In which case he's right - most football fans in Warrington have traditionally either been United or Liverpool fans, with a sprinkling of City and Everton. No doubt it's probably changed a bit over the years, but I'm guessing not by much. 

There's no need to sound so offended at the idea that a Wire fan might actually be from Warrington - most are.  

It's pretty obvious Lobby's referring to Warrington.

In which case he's right - most football fans in Warrington have traditionally either been United or Liverpool fans, with a sprinkling of City and Everton. No doubt it's probably changed a bit over the years, but I'm guessing not by much.

There's no need to sound so offended at the idea that a Wire fan might actually be from Warrington - most are.

it is an example of Lobby making statements that are just not true and nonsense.

Not a single one of the people who have changed footballing loyalties that i referred to are from Warrington.

Lobby likes to dismiss peoples opinions or judge them based on who they support or where they are from, yet proves time and again he knows nothing whatsoever about the people he judges.

Im not offended in the slightest that somebody may think Im from Warrington, its just when lobby makes one of his mad facts up and then provides a load of usually very wrong points to try and support his argument.

We had P&R for years

It was disastrous

We have had licensing for a handful of years

It has improved the competition for the better - increasing the quality of games and competitiveness of games and from week to week the games are no longer a foregone conclusion

It has improved the player pool immeasurably - no longer are lower level teams filled with journeymen Aussies & Kiwis but younger English players are given a better chance

It's improved the marketability of the game and allowed its expansion beyond the m62 (or rather the old Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway routes)

It has succeeded on every level that P&R had failed on.

Just to be clear, we had the sort of strong leadership that Tony Smith is calling for last year. It got us the Stobart sponsorship deal, which the RFL pushed the clubs to support.

We had P&R for years

It was disastrous

It has improved the competition for the better - increasing the quality of games and competitiveness of games and from week to week the games are no longer a foregone conclusion

It has improved the player pool immeasurably - no longer are lower level teams filled with journeymen Aussies & Kiwis but younger English players are given a better chance

It's improved the marketability of the game

and allowed its expansion beyond the m62 (or rather the old Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway routes)

Agreed

Haven't read TS's bit but do think that P&R should be consigned to history.

For SL to move on it needs to grab hold of youngsters in their formative years 10+.

They are the future players and fans who will be shaping the game in the years ahead.

My son has now got 3 mates from school going to watch Hull FC (admittedly son has been indoctrinated by a zealous father) and they all ask why SL doesn't get the media coverage it deserves after 3 games!

The RL should spend millions on getting a top notch PR/Marketing team in place and the rest would follow.

Koukash is like a breath of fresh air and I really hope others start to speak out and follow his lead.

Bit drunk (so sorry if I'm off thread) :P:)

We had P&R for years

It was disastrous

It's improved the marketability of the game and allowed its expansion beyond the m62 (or rather the old Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway routes)

Nonsense on every point.