Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

weloveyouwakefield2

Tony Smith

80 posts in this topic

We'd best agree to disagree here, bottom SL club Castleford are skint, bottom EPL club QPR went out and spent tens of millions on players to try to avoid relegation. Soccer has millionaires backing championship clubs and many clubs outside the EPL have the ability to attract 30,000 crowds plus.

If Cas were relegated this year Sadler suggests it would destroy them. In contrast QPR will be spending millions to get back into the EPL.

its all relative though. They have millionaires who cant afford to put enough money in to make them succesful, just like our lower clubs have people who are wealthy but not enough to make them a top team.

its all relative though. They have millionaires who cant afford to put enough money in to make them succesful, just like our lower clubs have people who are wealthy but not enough to make them a top team.

Very true in one sense, but to go back the the original point taking that taking up a licence was to enable clubs to develop into bigger and better businesses, and be "super" not just in name only, that over half the league have collapsed, stagnated or gone backwards renders them not super at all. We are yet to see in soccer the equivalent of Halifax 2003.

Very true in one sense, but to go back the the original point taking that taking up a licence was to enable clubs to develop into bigger and better businesses, and be "super" not just in name only, that over half the league have collapsed, stagnated or gone backwards renders them not super at all. We are yet to see in soccer the equivalent of Halifax 2003.

A lot of it depends on what that starting point was tbh.

Comparing back to 18 years ago prior to SL, then I do think we have a lot more 'super' clubs - most play in far better facilities with bigger crowds than they used to.

Unfortunately licensing hasn't been given a fair chance - Smith's point about judging the system during the toughest financial crisis of our time is a very good one. Had we not had licensing, who knows what would have happened (genuinely, we don;t know!) but it could have been much worse. If we had had licensing in the good times then we may have seen much more positive tangible results.

In terms of football (and in fact other sports), we have seen some real issues with clubs, Portsmouth, Rangers to name just a couple without looking online have bombed spectacularly despite playing in worlds which are far richer than SL. I'd argue that Portsmouth was far worse than Halifax.

We are yet to see in soccer the equivalent of Halifax 2003.

Now I've had chance to have a look online, I know it's not the same thing, but the number of football clubs who have gone into administration in British football in the last few years in an open, P&R environment is staggering. I can't remember whether Halifax went into admin, from memory didn;t they just cut their costs, but the point is comparable, as basically they couldn;t afford to survive.

In football we have seen:

Aldershot Town 

Coventry City

Port Vale

Portsmouth

Darlington

Rushden and Diamonds

Plymouth

Portsmouth

Crystal Palace

There are some pretty decent sized clubs there, many with turnovers which dwarf those of RL clubs.

Now I've had chance to have a look online, I know it's not the same thing, but the number of football clubs who have gone into administration in British football in the last few years in an open, P&R environment is staggering. I can't remember whether Halifax went into admin, from memory didn;t they just cut their costs, but the point is comparable, as basically they couldn;t afford to survive.

In football we have seen:

Aldershot Town 

Coventry City

Port Vale

Portsmouth

Darlington

Rushden and Diamonds

Plymouth

Portsmouth

Crystal Palace

There are some pretty decent sized clubs there, many with turnovers which dwarf those of RL clubs.

Interesting thank you....