Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Padge

Wigan Athletic Achieve Pub Quiz Immortality

34 posts in this topic

Who was the first soccer team to win the F.A Cup and get relegated in the same season.

Nobody will ever take that away from them.

One thing, with the tension taken out of Sunday's game their fans will be able to party party party all through the game without worrying about the result.

Enjoy the F.A. Cup winners party.

Hull City will achieve something similar next season.

They'll win FA and will be relegated.

Wouldn't swap a moment of the last 8 years, been an amazing ride.

theres only 6 ish teams that are in prem league- rest are a much of a muchness with the chmpionship- stoke-reading- norwich -fulham- all could easily struggle in the champinship

Wouldn't swap a moment of the last 8 years, been an amazing ride.

They've done well, way above most peoples expectations.

A friend of mine is relieved, he's sick of the end of year dog fight. He's been yearning to go back to the championship for years. He has been following them for a very long time.

There is something soul destroying about the "race to 40 points" every season, I couldn't lie and say otherwise.

However, the last time (and only previous other relegation) we went down, we ended up propping up the Football League, we've only spent 2 years of our history in the Championship, even that is batting above our average.  Wish we could skip the dance of the off-season and jump to the 1st game of next season having had all the best players cherry picked and manager taken etc!

I'm gutted, but a realist, sad for those whose livelyhoods are affected both at the club and indirectly in the town as much as anything else.

Wouldn't want to be in a Latics' fan's shoes, by the sound of it....

Who was the first soccer team to win the F.A Cup and get relegated in the same season.

Nobody will ever take that away from them.

One thing, with the tension taken out of Sunday's game their fans will be able to party party party all through the game without worrying about the result.

Enjoy the F.A. Cup winners party.

Dave, Are you sure they are the first? Serious question. I thought someone else had done it, but the old grey matter is seriously deteriorating these days. :D

theres only 6 ish teams that are in prem league- rest are a much of a muchness with the chmpionship- stoke-reading- norwich -fulham- all could easily struggle in the champinship

That sounds freakishly like Super League. :unsure:

F.A. Cup Winners? I bet Mancini wishes .....

(Most of you know I am, or was, a City fan. I wish Roberto well. Best manager we've had since Joe Mercer. Treated abominably. :( )

Its a pleasure to wear these shoes, won more major silverware in the last week than most clubs have won in a generation and perhaps even lifetime! 

Dave, Are you sure they are the first? Serious question. I thought someone else had done it, but the old grey matter is seriously deteriorating these days. :D

I believe that stat to be sadly true!

Its a pleasure to wear these shoes, won more major silverware in the last week than most clubs have won in a generation and perhaps even lifetime! 

I believe that stat to be sadly true!

1) Good for you!

2) I bow to superior knowledge. Good luck next season.

That sounds freakishly like Super League. :unsure:

Doesn't it just!

Echo your Mancini musings but have also been reading a bit more about him..his personality, and how he was to some extent the author of his own misfortune. He's had it seems a huge payoff and will swap Manchester for Monaco.

And Latics? They'll be back. P and R yo-yo rules!

Birmingham, and maybe some others, have won the League Cup and been relegated in the same season.

I thought Portsmouth won the FA Cup a few years back and got docked points thus relegated.

I thought Portsmouth won the FA Cup a few years back and got docked points thus relegated.

They were relegated the season after IIRC.

There is something sole destroying about the "race to 40 points" every season, I couldn't lie and say otherwise.

F.A. Cup Winners? I bet Mancini wishes .....

A couple of "Wooooshes" perhaps? ;)

From memory Portsmouth won it in 2008, but didn't get relegated till 2010 when I think they were also runners up in the cup.

A couple of "Wooooshes" perhaps? ;)

Yep, far to subtle and clever for a p*ssed Wigan lad!  :)

I was gutted for WIgan last night as I really wanted them to stay up - on the positive side, I will laugh my enormous member off if Tottenham don;t reach the Champions League so i was chuffed for Arsenal!

Does an FA Cup win put Wigan in Europe like Birmingham had when they won their trophy?

Does an FA Cup win put Wigan in Europe like Birmingham had when they won their trophy?

Yes, as far as I know the FA Cup winners go straight into the group stages so thats 6 matches minimum, add to the increased league programme now of 46 games, plus at least 1 in each domestic cup there'll be murmourings of fixture congestion before a balls been kicked!

And Latics? They'll be back. P and R yo-yo rules!

They might; they're a decent team. But the Second Division is very competitive these days. Going up again is far from guaranteed.

It shows the gulf between football and other sports when despite being relegated Wigan will still pick up £60m+ in parachute payments over the next 4 years. Apparently they get £23m next season, £18m the year after followed by 2 years of £10m each.

To put that into perspective its 12 times more than Wigan RL will receive from central and TV funding over the same period.

I thought that but I've had a quick check and it looks to be true. What I think has happened in the past was the prospect of a club in the final being relegated, it was a big story in the media, but the club either didn't win the final or escaped relegation.