Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bedlam breakout

what typical things do "non fans" say to you

144 posts in this topic

at work-in the pub, with friends etc -

3 to start with said recently

1. i couldnt watch a sport with no p&r! whats the point?

2. i dont know the difference between league and union

3. do wigan still win everything?

2. i dont know the difference between league and union

3. do wigan still win everything?

All three of them and also "Can't watch a sport where the teams have such stupid names" and "That bloke who lost a ball must be one hard b'stard"

Nobody's ever said 1 or 3 to me, a few have said 2.  A few, but not all union fans, have said either, "It's proper rugby light" or "It's just five drives and a kick."  Most people are pretty positive.

Just to be clear, you have to admire their conviction as I could not limit myself to only watching football, English rugby union, and four-day cricket as a point of principle.

The games dying, been hearing that for over 50 years, still here. counting.

"What? But you're not northern are you?"

(I'm not)

1. That's the game they play up north isn't it?

2. Bloody tough game that

3. That's the quick one isn't it?

Never really had anything negative said to me about the game. The most consistent reaction though is one of surprise, as everyone still does think its a game purely played in the north of England.

'It should be all about what happens on the pitch'. Usually said by fans of a sport where everything is dependent on how rich your owner is off the pitch. Yes, very sporting.

No one, but no one, has ever mentioned the lack of p & r when asking about rugby league.

1. That's the game they play up north isn't it?

2. Bloody tough game that

3. That's the quick one isn't it?

Never really had anything negative said to me about the game. The most consistent reaction though is one of surprise, as everyone still does think its a game purely played in the north of England.

This, unless they're a union person.  Then I either get that it's not "proper rugby", "it'll be dead in two years as union is really quick these days", "league players can't hack it in union", and other such bilge.

I've never had anyone mention P&R.

People usually reference either Wigan or Leeds Rhinos.

They also usually mention 6 nations or twickenham

tumblr_lsmopyg3P91qz5deto1_r1_1280.png

No one, but no one, has ever mentioned the lack of p & r when asking about rugby league.

well you havent met our local landlord "the font of all knowledge" brian have you?

"You must have been so happy when Jonny Wilkinson won the World Cup for you" ;)

well you havent met our local landlord "the font of all knowledge" brian have you?

I used to get grief off a "union fan" who'd never attended a game of either code because in league players were allowed to wear shoulder pads.  He was incapable of discussing anything about league other than stating this time and time again.

"It's not the same since you can't hit people in the face and get away with it..."

- Nobody

I used to watch Heywood Cricket Club in the Central Lancashire League when I was young. We used to spend hours talking about the fact that there was no promotion and no relegation.

The things I usually hear from non-RL people are

It's all very 'one-dimensional' (I'm not sure how they think you'd ever avoid a tackle);

It's not as good as union, is it?

What's the point now rugby union is professional?

It's just played in the north of England.

Are there many Rhinos in Leeds?

Unfortunately for me i don't know anyone who has the slightest interest in rugby league apart from my dad who i go to games with......And i live in Pontefract...in the middle of the heartlands as it were.

So i never really get any comments good or bad apart from my dad who says it was better in the 70's when fev had strippers before the games  :rolleyes:

Are there many Rhinos in Leeds?

Actually, if I had a pound for that I'd probably be nudging £7 by now.

You can't move in Barnet for actual Saracens of course.

Usually I get someone starting waffling on about the six nations before I have to stop them if they aren’t a fan of either code. I’d have to say the majority of the time people who know anything about sport are quite positive about it. When I first went to University there were a couple of union fans who trotted out the old “five drives” rubbish, but since then the vast majority of union fans quite admire the sport even if they don’t watch it.

I can’t honestly say I have had a conversation about P&R with anyone except people who follow the sport. I find it quite amusing that anyone has.

union fan at work always refers to league as 'that funny rugby'.

"Why does the man with the ball run straight at the other team rather than trying to avoid them" is the question I get asked most frequently by the wife whenever she watches a game.