Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

THE RED ROOSTER

England v New Zealand - The Cricket Thread

55 posts in this topic

Did we not enforce the follow on so that Compton could have another chance to cement his place in the Ashes team? If so it was a failure - out for 7!

In my opinion Compton is only their because he is the grandson of an England legend.

In my opinion Compton is only their because he is the grandson of an England legend.

An opinion I share.

Im not sure he is good enough, but he has had a good couple of years so he has earned a shot at opening. It shows his home ground is Taunton didn't look like England material at Middlesex. The chances of Flower and Cook picking someone because of their relatives is zero.

Im not sure he is good enough, but he has had a good couple of years so he has earned a shot at opening. It shows his home ground is Taunton didn't look like England material at Middlesex. The chances of Flower and Cook picking someone because of their relatives is zero.

But certain people can pull strings.  There will be wheels within wheels.  I always thought Alex Stewart benefitted from his dad being the coach.  Not saying he wasn't a good player, but he got more chances than most do to prove himself.  On the other hand Michael Vaughan was playing out of his skin for Yorkshire for years before he got in,

I think certain players have cheerleaders . Hussain with Bopara im thinking of , not quite good enough but Hussain helped his Essex teammate out by mentioning him at every opportunity. Agree 20 years ago when the MCC had more power and the TCCB existed it happened people got a go when they weren't good enough. But I think part of that was down to the structure of English cricket it was long over due reform. IMO Vaughan like Trescothick wasn't really prolific at 1st class cricket before the he made the step up to tests.

In my opinion, Hussain was two-faced; he got the benefit of the doubt for several years before he was captain; a benefit that wasn't offered to rivals from less-fashionable counties. Then, when he was captain, arbitrarily discarded players after one bad performance.

Ashley Giles got 50-odd tests. Phil Tuffnell got 42; Robert Croft had 21, despite both having having a better average.

Neil Fairbrother was only given 10 tests, despite being the lynchpin of the one-day-team. Devon Malcolm was often called up but seldom picked; it seemed to me that he was cynically used to give batsmen like Hussein a period of fast-pace net practice before each test began.

Too many players were dropped after a just one or two poor games around that time. many of them should have never played for England in the firstplace. IIRC in Hussains book he removed himself from the selection panel because he was poor at picking players that could compete in the test arena. That And he was too in favour of horses for courses selections. I will credit him with the helping of Fletcher to drag England from the embarrassments of the early 90s to a half decent team.

If the rain holds off, play is scheduled to restart at 3:00.

If the rain holds off, play is scheduled to restart at 3:00.

If NZ hold on for a draw then it's almost definitely the fault of England rather than NZ's determination.  A poor decision to not enforce the follow-on followed by dire batting on the 3rd day afternoon and then just batting on beyond stubbornness when the lead reached around 450 and wickets were falling.  Even if England win, it's probably more luck than good play.

Wicket! One more needed now.

Job done.

Job done.

Just.  I've seen plenty of umpires walk off with rain at a far lower downpour than that.

That said, NZ looked distinctly ordinary in the batting side of their game.  A good 2-0 result for England.

Neil Fairbrother was only given 10 tests

For some reason his face never fitted the Test team.  His 10 Tests were pretty spread out.

It was a time when some players could fail again and again and still get picked every time, but others would get a handful of matches spread over years and then never be heard from again.

A bit like the GB/England RL team has been for years.

Had to laugh when play was possible today and England won. JOnathan Agnew was on prime moaning form this morning (something he seems to do constantly these days - has he spent too much time with Boycs?), saying that it was chucking it down, no play would be possible and England only have themselves to blame. Presumably he shut up when there was enough time to win.

I was also rather irritated by the Sky commentators and their whining about England batting too slowly and not declaring early enough. While they have a point - they could have declared about an hour earlier - it's a bit rich hearing attritional players such as Atherton and Hussain having a go at Trott etc.

For the record I partly agree with them (England should have got a move on earlier - Lord knows what Trott was doing), though I did get sick of hearing them and the TMS commentators bang on about it every five minutes. Botham is the worst - he's never happy about anything, ever.

2nd one dayer against the kiwis and Dernbach's once again bowling like a tool, why do the selectors keep picking him? perhaps he needs to spend more time in the nets and less in the tattoo parlour, a truly awful bowler.

He'll probably take the last nine wickets now. :no:

JD's rubbish. How does he get in the team?

Awful batting down the line again from all the usual suspects.

Still, no-one cares. It's all a warm up for the dreadfully important Champions Trophy coming up.

Thank God for test cricket.

Those red outfits are horrible as well.

Though I can't blame the English for wanting to look Welsh.

:tongue:

An excellent day's cricket.  NZ just got better and better in their batting as their confidence grew, I think if this was the old 55 over ODIs then Guptill would have been closer to 250 to 270 the way he was seeing and hitting the ball.  Some of the bowling from England was just woeful, Anderson was the only one who looked genuinely threatening.

Those red outfits are horrible as well.

Though I can't blame the English for wanting to look Welsh.

:tongue:

England have worn red before although I wish they'd stick to the decent dark blue.

As you are no doubt aware the team called England does also represent Wales too. Unfortunately for reasons of space only the important countries are listed on the name.

And whatever colour we're in we still can't seem to get the hang of 50 over cricket.

As you are no doubt aware the team called England does also represent Wales too. Unfortunately for reasons of space only the important countries are listed on the name.

You're right, Wales and South Africa rarely get a name-check.

You're right, Wales and South Africa rarely get a name-check.

It's damn hard to fit this on a scorecard though: "England, Wales, one Scot in a generation and Anyone Else We Can Poach From Other Countries"

It's damn hard to fit this on a scorecard though: "England, Wales, one Scot in a generation and Anyone Else We Can Poach From Other Countries"

You'll be believing that the All Blacks are basically the Samoan first XV next.

England could do worse than bring in Graham Napier in the limited overs game.

That said he has performed well in all forms of the game this season.

7-32 against a thrashed Surrey side in the 40 over discipline tonight at Chelmsford, including four

wickets in as many balls in a maiden over.

I'm not sure he could cut it at international level. Does he bring more to the team than Other bits and pieces players Wright, Bopara(okay more of a batsman but still in and around the England set up) or Yardy?

I'm not sure he could cut it at international level. Does he bring more to the team than Other bits and pieces players Wright, Bopara(okay more of a batsman but still in and around the England set up) or Yardy?

Id certainly have him in instead of Bopara. As I say this year he has excelled with bat and ball at each discipline.

He is prertty pacey as well and would certainly be a better bet currently than a Dernbach and even batting wise 

currently than Morgan, Needless to say though just talking in terms of the limited over game.