Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Daddy

Rugby League gets support from unexpected quarters - Marion Le Pen

84 posts in this topic

So what if they are blissfully unaware? Its still true. And its not that obscure either, ever heard the quote about how you set back British fascism by a generation? And I wasn't suggesting any current RU fans should feel guilty, merely pointing out the mud sticks angle.

Tell you what Martyn, next time you are at a function with some of RL's black players, suggest to them it is fair game to tolerate anyone as long as they are RL fans. And do you think politicians would do anything to promote anything if they didn't see a benefit for them?

Sorry but being a vaguely decent human being comes first to me, RL fan second.

So what ARE this woman's views on racism, anti-sematism  etc?   as a  vaguely decent human being what is your practice when it comes to say, Chinese goods?

I wouldn't have thought that calling for the World Cup to be shown on French television is embarrassing our sport, unless there's something I'm missing.

Part of growing up is that you realise that some people you may dislike will share some of your enthusiasms, while some people you would otherwise get on with have no truck with your hobbies and pastimes.

For example, I was listening to Mark Lawson's Front Row programme on Radio 4 last night, and he was saying he doesn't like Wagner because Hitler and the Nazis liked his music. Lawson is entitled to his view, but if we are going to check all our fellow enthusiasts' credentials before deciding whether to indulge our favourite sport or music or any other pastime, then we'll soon feel very lonely.

And we would actually be handing a great deal of power to these people we don't like, Nick Griffin et al.

If Marion Le Pen, who I'd never heard of before seeing this thread, wants to persuade French TV channels to broadcast World Cup games, I hope she succeeds. And, as far as I'm concerned, she can even turn up to cheer on the French team without asking for permission from me or anyone else on this forum.

wow!  I've never had that much stamina!!

Another taboo that continues to be maintained in Israel is the performance of Wagner’s works in Israel. To this I must say that the rumor that my performance with the Staatskapelle Berlin of the Prelude and Love Death of Tristan und Isolde in 2001 caused a sensation is a myth that has been anchored in people’s heads until now, nearly ten years later. The piece was played as an encore following a forty-minute discussion with the audience. I suggested to the people who wanted to leave that they do so. Only twenty to thirty people who did not want to hear Wagner’s music left the hall. The remainder applauded the orchestra so enthusiastically that I had the feeling we had done something positive. Only the next day did the dispute erupt when politicians called the performance a scandal, although they had not been present themselves.

Daniel Barenboim See http://www.danielbarenboim.com/journal/wagner-israel-and-the-palestinians.html

Extreme left wing regimes have been responsible for the the largest scale mass murder known to man.

They often have a disregard for human rights and generally are intolerant.

They tend to lean towards to totalitarianism in a very extreme manner.

Indeed, as have far right wing extremes. From Ghengis Khan to the third reich and the fascist crew under General Pinochet who overthrew Allende in Chile. They had a different use for football stadia.

In the context of this thread, is it not being alleged that the Le penn followers are very far right and would maybe tolerate such abuses if they thought they could get power and put them into practice. ? As such they are not poster pin ups to be promoting out game given that so many of our supporters and players are either minorities or to the left of the political spectrum.

Still, banning extremists leads to worse excess as perpetrated by Senator Mcarthy in the USA and the infamous ' Unamerican activities" black lists.

My bet would be to live and let live and if the preponderance to RL supporters are at odds with her views, she will quietly fade from the scene.

So what ARE this woman's views on racism, anti-sematism  etc?   as a  vaguely decent human being what is your practice when it comes to say, Chinese goods?

I don't know what her views are on the aforementioned subject, I know jack about her. This is why I haven't used her in my posts, except to ask if she was like the NF of old here. Why are you bringing other moral issues into it? I aren't trying to say that everyone should have the same views, nor would I want that, I'm saying that RL should be very wary of associating itself with people who hold racist or far right views whatever the perceived short term gain might appear. If you are trying to suggest that I am a bad person because I might buy Chinese goods, that's a different thing from being openly racist or fascist. I aren't trying to suggest I'm perfect but I believe there is a line that you must start from. And disliking people based on skin colour or nationality or whatever is that line IMO.

If Nick Griffin gave the RFL £5M to sponsor SL, would he then be welcome at the Grand Final? Not in my book, he's not welcome. Yet Martyn seems to suggest we should just shrug and say 'hey, no biggie it's your opinion bro'. I disagree. And I disagree because I know that the far right are trouble, from experience.

My bet would be to live and let live and if the preponderance to RL supporters are at odds with her views, she will quietly fade from the scene.

That's ok then. And if RL's reputation is trashed in the meantime, is that ok too?

That's ok then. And if RL's reputation is trashed in the meantime, is that ok too?

No it's not OK but it might be the best solution to let her quietly fade away. To mkae a big deal about it, to alert the sensationalist press and get them in on the act is exactly what extremists want. The oxygen of publicity is what they crave in order to get a forum to propagate their views.

Don't pour petrol on an open flame. Smother it and let it die.

If Nick Griffin gave the RFL £5M to sponsor SL, would he then be welcome at the Grand Final? Not in my book, he's not welcome. Yet Martyn seems to suggest we should just shrug and say 'hey, no biggie it's your opinion bro'. I disagree. And I disagree because I know that the far right are trouble, from experience.

John, if you're going to cite me in support of your argument, try to do it accurately.

Of course I wouldn't be happy to see Nick Griffin sponsoring Super League, no matter how much money he offered.

On the other hand, if Griffin were quoted in one of tomorrow's newspapers claiming that Rugby League is his favourite sport, I wouldn't shut down League Express and this website and go and live in a monastery regretting that I was ever involved with Rugby League.

Marion Le Pen's actions are closer to the latter than the former, so I feel very relaxed about what she has said, and, if she can persuade French TV companies to broadcast the World Cup, all the better.

No it's not OK but it might be the best solution to let her quietly fade away. To mkae a big deal about it, to alert the sensationalist press and get them in on the act is exactly what extremists want. The oxygen of publicity is what they crave in order to get a forum to propagate their views.

Don't pour petrol on an open flame. Smother it and let it die.

Far better to not allow some muppet with petrol and matches in your house to start with.

Martyn.

One of my favourite bands is Stiff Little Fingers. Nick Griffin once stated that his favourite bands were 'The Clash' and 'SLF'. Both very strongly anti racist bands. Whenever I have seen SLF play, they publicly declare that he is not welcome and dedicate one of their songs 'Fly the Flag' to him. They don't not play gigs but they ensure everyone knows their position on the matter.

And I still wouldn't be comfortable with him even saying he liked RL.

Martyn.

One of my favourite bands is Stiff Little Fingers. Nick Griffin once stated that his favourite bands were 'The Clash' and 'SLF'. Both very strongly anti racist bands. Whenever I have seen SLF play, they publicly declare that he is not welcome and dedicate one of their songs 'Fly the Flag' to him. They don't not play gigs but they ensure everyone knows their position on the matter.

And I still wouldn't be comfortable with him even saying he liked RL.

And by doing that they emphasise his importance.

No one is asking you to be comfortable. I'm simply suggesting that you shouldn't feel uncomfortable.

And by doing that they emphasise his importance.

No one is asking you to be comfortable. I'm simply suggesting that you shouldn't feel uncomfortable.

How is it emphasising his importance? It's pointing out how thick and ignorant people like him are by purporting to follow bands that are strongly anti-racist. A bit like being racist and following a sport that gave players like Ces Thompson a break aeons ago.

If Marion Le Pen, who I'd never heard of before seeing this thread, 

Hang on.

Really?

Hang on.

Really?

I'm well aware that Marine Le Pen is the leader of the FN, but until this thread was created I wasn't aware of the existence of her niece Marion, who is apparently a Rugby League supporter.

I obviously lack your deep interest in and knowledge of right wing groups in France.

Sarcasm's really big and clever, Martyn. ;)

Sarcasm's really big and clever, Martyn. ;)

Was I being sarcastic?

I just thought I was drawing a logical conclusion from GingerJon's posting.

Sarcasm in your eyes, perhaps!

Anybody is welcome to watch and support Rugby league in my eyes as long as they cause no trouble and just watch the game.

I would give them no prominence, importance etc. and they shouldnt be able to use the game for political reasons but no way should anybody be banned.

Otherwise where do we stop?

Anybody is welcome to watch and support Rugby league in my eyes as long as they cause no trouble and just watch the game.

I would give them no prominence, importance etc. and they shouldnt be able to use the game for political reasons but no way should anybody be banned.

Agree with this. Unfortunately Martyn's already taken the thread down a slightly pathetic, faux-Daily Mail route so anyone with concerns about hard right groups are being 'offended'.

Comme d'hab. As Marion might say.

Agree with this. Unfortunately Martyn's already taken the thread down a slightly pathetic, faux-Daily Mail route so anyone with concerns about hard right groups are being 'offended'.

:lol:

100% agree.

Martyn does so love a debate JB.

About time people took their head out of the sand after todays events.That wasn't far right fanatics.

About time people took their head out of the sand after todays events.That wasn't far right fanatics.

It's difficult rto get farther right than the views and attitudes of islamic terrorists.

Lovely stuff.

It's difficult rto get farther right than the views and attitudes of islamic terrorists.

sadly, you are correct.

What the hell does this have to do with it? Who on earth would welcome people with views like that? And they certainly were far right supremacists.