Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Garvers

Daft Punk - Get Lucky

44 posts in this topic

Crazy In Love and 1Thing probably run it pretty close, but it's ridiculously difficult to resist Nile Rodgers...

I do like it a lot, but best of the 21st century's a bit much. I've read plenty of glowing reviews of the new album, too, so I may buy it.

I do like it a lot, but best of the 21st century's a bit much. I've read plenty of glowing reviews of the new album, too, so I may buy it.

C'mon Futtocks - I know you've been glued to Youtube, watching the one-hour Alan Partridge 'air bass' version ...  

That sounds like an average, and I mean average, disco record from the late 70's/early 80's. The sort of thing my sister would be playing in her room. Is it meant to be groundbreaking or something?

I wouldn't recommend it. There are some great pop moments - Get Lucky, the one with Pharrell that's the next single, the track with Giorgio Moroder on it - but it's mostly mediocre. I've heard worse pop albums, but it's not this amazing opus that some people are making out.

Sounds like somebody's just laid down a new vocal track on an old Sister Sledge tune.

It's fine, nice and smooth, it's something I'd like playing in the background in a bar. I do like Crazy In Love though, I agree to suggest that's one of the best pop songs this century.

I do like a bit of funk every now and again.

I've just been to the shops and this tune was belting out of somebody's window as I walked past.

That's me told.

I can understand where everyone is coming from - the first time I heard it, I didn't quite know what all the fuss was about.  

But then for whatever reason, I started to get it - and it's pretty hard to argue that something strange has happened around this track.

And I own a lot of 70's soul, funk and disco, and have little time for imitation. Maybe it's a minor key thing..?  

Anyway, for those who prefer something earlier, here's a cracking Chic track that most people aren't aware of:

1 Thing?

I don't get the "get it" thing if you get what I mean.

For me it's catchy as sin, which it's suposed to be as their first released single from the album. PSY Gangnam style is another catchy tune but is that a work of genius? Good single and probably best of year so far (in relation to the pop charts) but anything other may be over egging it. Now if you'd have said your fave of the 21st Century thenn that's a different thread altogether.

I'd been reading quite a lot of press for the new Daft Punk album and then a lot of praise for this particular track.

At best, I'm whelmed by it.

1 Thing?

I was thinking that. I'm guessing the song by Amerie rather than the song One Direction released recently with that name. Neither are in the top 100 pop songs of the past 10 years I'd say. The Amerie one is good, not as "legendary" as Crazy in Love has become in a similar sort of time though. 

I do like Get Lucky, although my personal favourite pop song this year is Justin Timberlake's Mirrors. Not a floorfiller but there's just something about it.

I do like Get Lucky, although my personal favourite pop song this year is Justin Timberlake's Mirrors. Not a floorfiller but there's just something about it.

Suit & Tie for mine.

The way you've phrased that makes me think the only way to top Sir Wiggo at the start of next season is to get JT to sing "Suit and Try" in the Sky ads.

The way you've phrased that makes me think the only way to top Sir Wiggo at the start of next season is to get JT to sing "Suit and Try" in the Sky ads.

Boots N Try...

:ph34r:

That sounds like an average, and I mean average, disco record from the late 70's/early 80's. The sort of thing my sister would be playing in her room. Is it meant to be groundbreaking or something?

Agreed, my mate loves it but it just leaves me cold.

correct

Heard Get Lucky for the first time this morning. Have to say I'm with you guys. Weak and repetitive. There again I remember Chic and Nile Rodgers first time round and wasn't a huge fan then.  :dry:

daft punk have built a career on stealing samples and passing them off as ground breaking dance music.Eldest got the album yesterday,it's bog standard dance music.

daft punk have built a career on stealing samples and passing them off as ground breaking dance music.Eldest got the album yesterday,it's bog standard dance music.

On this theme, TRL Helpdesk, there's a hook in Aerodynamic - from their Discovery album - would anyone here know if it's a classical music sample? I've tried to look for it but I think it might have been a piano version of that song I heard. Just wondered.

On this theme, TRL Helpdesk, there's a hook in Aerodynamic - from their Discovery album - would anyone here know if it's a classical music sample? I've tried to look for it but I think it might have been a piano version of that song I heard. Just wondered.

Sister Sledge's Il Macquillage Lady...?

Sister Sledge's Il Macquillage Lady...?

That's the one.

My son had a file of samples that daft punk had used in their own tunes,I'll see if he still has it.