Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BBR

West Yorkshire

70 posts in this topic

u can get to heck from horbury in 15 mins, up hostingley lane, left towards shepards boy, and across dewsbury moor and u are there

Not at 8:30 AM on the way to work you cannot. 

You would be first queuing at Horbury Bridge. Pretty clear up towards Thornhill, Down towards Thornhill Lees Get stuck in traffic from the two schools either side of the Mini roundabouts with the parents dropping their children off not understanding things like road markings, space or rules of the road and living within half a mile of the school.Then through the mini roundabouts, left on Thornhill road Que at the lights by the Shepards Boy pub. Then straight into a que to turn right into Temple Road. Get stuck in traffic from the two schools up/near Temple Road. Pretty clear Through Dewsbury Moor. Then as you get within sight of Heckmondwike realise your in own long traffic jam towards the lights in Heck center. 

Decide where you need to be in Heck to work, look at watch and see it had taken you more than 15 mins even though you could do it in 15mins at a push at quiet times of day. 

Not at 8:30 AM on the way to work you cannot. 

You would be first queuing at Horbury Bridge. Pretty clear up towards Thornhill, Down towards Thornhill Lees Get stuck in traffic from the two schools either side of the Mini roundabouts with the parents dropping their children off not understanding things like road markings, space or rules of the road and living within half a mile of the school.Then through the mini roundabouts, left on Thornhill road Que at the lights by the Shepards Boy pub. Then straight into a que to turn right into Temple Road. Get stuck in traffic from the two schools up/near Temple Road. Pretty clear Through Dewsbury Moor. Then as you get within sight of Heckmondwike realise your in own long traffic jam towards the lights in Heck center. 

Decide where you need to be in Heck to work, look at watch and see it had taken you more than 15 mins even though you could do it in 15mins at a push at quiet times of day. 

Doesn't matter where you live, if you set off to work at the wrong time you will end up in traffic, I often set off a couple of hours earlier than I should to avoid this problem.

Doesn't matter where you live, if you set off to work at the wrong time you will end up in traffic, I often set off a couple of hours earlier than I should to avoid this problem.

I agree, take my nightshift working, my journey home at 8am takes twice as long as my journey into work at 10PM. 

Cheers. I expect that commuting wise at 7am it wont be a major issue.

The way home might be though...

I'd also consider which councils are decent, or least worse.

If you've got children, or are about to start a family, schools are obviously a factor. Certain catchment-areas in Dewsbury and Batley will  (like Bradford) have entry-age primary school classes where a lot of the kids won't speak English.

Yep, schools a major factor. Got a few places in mind now thanks.

Ossett and Gomersal look the leading ones so far. Tingley sounds like a no no. Anyone got any views on Birstall?

Gomersal is perhaps a better bet than Ossett and definitely a better bet than Birstall.

I think you can't go far wrong in the Gomersal, Cleckheaton and East Bierley triangle.

A friend of mine has this pub in East Bierley.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q&layer=c&z=17&iwloc=A&sll=53.758588,-1.707530&cid=6277376639589071522&cbp=13,13.5,0,0,0&cbll=53.758487,-1.707571&ved=0CA0Q2wU&sa=X&ei=EWOaUfPnDobtsgbQxoCIDg&gl=GB&hl=en

Ossett and Gomersal look the leading ones so far. Tingley sounds like a no no. Anyone got any views on Birstall?

Birstall is always heaving come evening rush hour.

A lot of these places are quite small, narrow and winding. I'd keep winter snow in mind.

I live in Birstall, anything specific you want to know

Birstall is always heaving come evening rush hour.

A lot of these places are quite small, narrow and winding. I'd keep winter snow in mind.

Traffic round Birstall is quite heavy during peak periods but it always flows very well and quite quickly on the A62, A650, A651, A562, A653

Only time things snarl up is when we have a major incident on the M62 like last Friday afternoon/evening

There are however dozens of rat runs known to the locals who dont have any bother getting from A to B

I live in Birstall, anything specific you want to know

Are you the poor sod in a dog costume that waves at Smithies cross roads?!

Main things of concern are nice area as in not full of chavs. Quality of town centre. Ease of public transport to leeds and wakey

Main things of concern are nice area as in not full of chavs. Quality of town centre. Ease of public transport to leeds and wakey

Gary lives in Birstall and, on his nameplate, has a picture of a Bull Terrier!!

Not sure about his tattoos, piercings, gold teeth, sovereign rings, preferred tracksuit-manufacturer and favourite kebab shop.

B)  :biggrin:  ;)

Right now, he's probably thinking of the different choices he has in deciding how to kill me.

:laugh:

Are you the poor sod in a dog costume that waves at Smithies cross roads?!

Poor sod is out in all weathers as well, still, at least its better than the dole.

Gary lives in Birstall and, on his nameplate, has a picture of a Bull Terrier!!

Not sure about his tattoos, piercings, gold teeth, sovereign rings, preferred tracksuit-manufacturer and favourite kebab shop.

B)  :biggrin:  ;)

Right now, he's probably thinking of the different choices he has in deciding how to kill me.

:laugh:

LOL, at 53 im hardly what you might call a Chav

Thats my dear now departed dog, we had him as a rescue dog as my Mrs worked for the Vet who took in rescue Bull Terriers, took him on advice from the Kennel Club and the Vet in question, regarded as the best breed to have with young children and for 13 years he lived up to that billimg. RIP Sykes.

We did once find him with his head buried deep inside a Sheeps stomach though

Sorry about your dog, Gary.

Don't worry about being 53. I'm 59 and still have ambitions to be a chav.

;)

Poor sod is out in all weathers as well, still, at least its better than the dole.

Genuinely one of my favourite sights driving around West Yorkshire, never fails to make me smile.

Sorry about your dog, Gary.

Don't worry about being 53. I'm 59 and still have ambitions to be a chav.

;)

Thanks, been gone a few years now, since replaced with a dafter than daft Labrador.

Just an update. Schools wise and house wise? Tingley is the best but seemed to get negative reviews on here. Why is it bad?

To me,as someone who knows West Yorkshire pretty well Tingley has always struck me as a bit of a nowhere place. Handy for elsewhere but nothing to offer as its own identity. I've never been invited to a night out or party anywhere in Tingley ... and I've lived here for over forty years with a wide social circle.

Ultimately, it's down to you and your partner.

I don't know much about Tingley, but for some reason in the back of my mind it's somewhere I seem to remember gets a heck of a lot of traffic when the M62 is busy.

Tingley is just a roundabout on the M62, theres no social hub there at all.