Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BBR

West Yorkshire

70 posts in this topic

Tingley is just a roundabout on the M62, theres no social hub there at all.

Suppose they could play Frogger....

What is Morley like?

Saw some houses in Tingley, Morley and Gildersome.

All 3 seemed ok, with morley being the 'social hub' for the other 2.

Ruled out Ossett for being a bit too far from Leeds and also ruled out one or two other places that we didn't really get the feel for.

Cheers for all the info, most helpful.

What is Morley like?

Saw some houses in Tingley, Morley and Gildersome.

All 3 seemed ok, with morley being the 'social hub' for the other 2.

Morley has good bits and bad bits. All three have murdersome traffic in the morning (7-30 to 9-30) and evening (4-30 to 6-30) rush hours.

So many people from right across Yorkshire work in Leeds that the road systems all around the city are overloaded.

I alway's fancied living in Otley,athough The Otley road into Leeds gets very busy

North of Leeds to too far to commute.

I can see traffic being an issue, but most places near big cities are these days (Bristol is the same now).

Just need to sell my place now.

Thank you for all the comments about places, great help

I lived on Haigh Moor Rd in Tingley (West Ardsley) for 3 years (I left in 1998 so maybe much has changed!). I thought it was OK. Went to the British Oak pub for the quiz, The Scarborough for meals, lots of places to walk the dog. Woodkirk school is pretty good. Dewsbury Rams 5 minutes, Batley 10 minutes, Hunslet 10 minutes. White Rose shopping 10 minutes, you've got golf, fish and chips, supermarkets etc

What more do you want?

Anyone know what lower Wortley and hanging Heaton are like?

Anyone know what lower Wortley and hanging Heaton are like?

Oh and earlsheaton in Dewsbury please

Hanging Heaton is okay, Lower Wortley and Earlsheaton are frankly places on the way downhill.

Hanging Heaton is okay, Lower Wortley and Earlsheaton are frankly places on the way downhill.

Lower Wortley is handy for prison visits

Earlsheaton is where the chavs from Chickenley move when they win on a scratch card

Baildon

It's murder getting from Baildon through Shipley into Bradford every morning, never mind going on to Heckmondwike.

Jolly decent place though.

Has the fantastic Baildon Hall members club (open to anyone to join) which is the ancestral home of General Wolfe. They have a team in our quiz league.

http://www.baildon-hall.com/history.php

I've just noticed that the web page says they offer "country membership" status. I'm sure we all know that joke.

:D

Ok, 2 more options....

Wrenthorpe

Outwood (Got very good schools)

Thanks again in advance, most helpful

Wrenthorpe is more select than Outwood. I had a work colleague who lived there and really liked it.

The one issue with Wakefield, which has good schools and an excellent city centre, is that it is almost completely undermined by historic colliery workings. Not all of them are charted.

In my wholly unqualified opinion, as a rule of thumb, for West Yorkshire: -

-       pre-war brick houses = coal mining areas ... the coal measures are set below clay that is suitable for house bricks.

-       pre-war sandstone houses = sandstone quarrying areas with a much lower frequency of historic coal mines that had  sent out extensive radial shafts. Bradford sits on two shallow seams of coal ... the Lousy Bed and the Better Bed ... which gives the indication that mining wasn't that prosperous.

-      the further west and north you go, the less coal mining there was.

It's murder getting from Baildon through Shipley into Bradford every morning, never mind going on to Heckmondwike.

Jolly decent place though.

Has the fantastic Baildon Hall members club (open to anyone to join) which is the ancestral home of General Wolfe. They have a team in our quiz league.

http://www.baildon-hall.com/history.php

I've just noticed that the web page says they offer "country membership" status. I'm sure we all know that joke.

:D

I remember!

Had mighty fine girlfriend back in the early 90s who lived there but that's a long while back.