Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bedford Roughyed

Cameron out of touch

56 posts in this topic

Would someone clever and razor sharp actually want the leadership of the Tory party? In its current form, it appears unleadable.

Sure, Boris could probably showboat his way into No.10 on personality alone (a sad indictment of British politics, but that's where we are, let's face it) but what would happen next? Would he give the Euroloons what they wanted, and if not, could he survive their subsequent displeasure?

I need to wait and see what Wolford thinks on the subject before I can offer our opinion  ;)

I wasn't suggesting Boris actually wants the Tory leadership at this point just that he's not the lovable buffoon his appearances on HIGNFY make him appear.

I suspect he has a plan to get him into Number 10 already in process.

There was a TV interview a few years ago with Annabel Goldie, former leader of the Scottish Conservatives in the Scottish Parliament where she was very proud of the way the Scottish Parliament worked.  As 4th party in terms of members she was still able to get through some key policies because the parties all worked together to create a consensus of governance.  In return for getting some of their more sensible policies implemented, they agreed in principle to not unreasonably oppose sensible things put forward by the governing party.  She also highlighted a few policies where the Tories had suggested an amendment to SNP bills and the bills were amended because everyone else accepted them as sensible.  Even now as a majority of SNP the smaller parties still get things through regularly.

There's no way that would work in the UK Parliament, if you're not in the governing party (or parties) then you get nothing beyond the ability to rant in public in the House.  If Cameron stood up today and said it was Tuesday afternoon, you'd probably get at least one senior MP on the other side (or even his own) putting forward an amendment to recognise that it's Wednesday morning in some parts of the world.

Yes, IIRC Goldie got more 'bobbies on the beat' - a high profile cause for the Tories at the time - in return for voting through the budget one year, and Labour cut a deal on apprenticeships in similar circumstances. This is sneered at by politicians at Westminster as 'horse trading' but it actually reflects more what the public want and vote for. 

Even in a majority-government parliament, such as the current one, there is opportunity for co-operation as in the minimum pricing for alcohol legislation. Driving to work early one morning last autumn, I almost swerved off the road when I heard Jackson Carlaw (Tory MSP) praising the leadership of Nicola Sturgeon during the legislative committee proceedings.

One of the reasons the parliament works so well is that its design had input from what has been called 'civic Scotland' during the pre-devolution Constitutional Convention. It was recognised that Westminster was not a particularly good example of a modern parliament, and actually, and artificially, promoted conflict and opposition for the sake of it.

Who in their right mind would want the job?  The most capable MP the Tories have is Hague but he's northern and bald so gets a hard time from even the Tory friendly press.  The other relatively good Tory MPs get massive media spinning from their own side to trash their credibility before they can become a threat.  Who needs an opposition to trash you when your own side will do it so effectively.

For some unknown reason in the English based press, the "all fur coat and no knickers" rabble rousers like Farage get a relatively easy ride of having nothing of substance behind them and a glass jaw when criticism is thrown at them.  They can throw mud very effectively at the Tories from behind that protection.

It just makes the fall all the more special when it comes  :dancer: (but that's another thread :tongue: ).

Reading Methven's post it seems that the SNP got 53 seats from FPTP and 16 via top up?

Thank you, and...

Just to be clear  :D (absolutely clear) Scotland does not use AV in its parliamentary elections.

I need to wait and see what Wolford thinks on the subject before I can offer our opinion  ;)

Nige and I have had a chat, and we are happy with you acting as our spokesman.

;):)