Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

morty

lineup at Sheffield

Shipbuilder    30

Thank goodness - it's still bad but at least the lads have shown some fight

morty    216

if our defence carries on like this next week we will get stuffed again

RSN    678

Someone get on the phone to clarky or cresta, think weve gone as far as were gonna with holty

Would they take us further with the squad they have? Sheffield have 5 or 6 players who could comfortably be playing SL. Never mind the fact we didn't need to win the game. I wouldn't make a decision to sack the coach on the back of a meaningless game against one of the best sides in the competition.

Raider94    53

At the end of the day we have seen one decent game from them, weve played over half of the season now and i just think if they arent going to play for holty then a new coach should be brought in, the performances havnt been anywhere near good enough, and people keep mentioning the squad we have, i think the squad we have is far better than bottom of the championship with the worst points difference, you cant deny that something needs to change, especially when todays performance has come off the back of two weeks of defensive training!

barrowbob    6

Would they take us further with the squad they have? Sheffield have 5 or 6 players who could comfortably be playing SL. Never mind the fact we didn't need to win the game. I wouldn't make a decision to sack the coach on the back of a meaningless game against one of the best sides in the competition.

name these 5 or 6 players then.

the squad we have is down to holty!!

morty    216

This squad ISNT good enough (in my honest opinion) that's the problem...Holty can only work with what he has at his disposal due to finances !

We are the worst side in the division so far this season.....the league position doesn't lie.

We can stay up as its so close for the bottom 8 or so sides but we need to tighten up the defence...how I don't know but we must win all the remaining home games against our closest competitors and hope that other sides do us a favour ?

Also away from home we need at least a bonus point in the games with our closest competitors!

Can we beat any of the top five at home.....I don't think so on what ive seen so far this season but must get a bonus in these as well !

If we do get relegated we would be in a division that we will probably end up in anyway when the RFL works its latest proposals for 2015.

RSN    678

Dominic Brambiani, Menzie Yere, Michael Knowles, Missi Talaupapa, Quentin-Lalau-Togagae could all have a decent crack at SL IMO. Not to mention the amount of established championship players such as Stronger and Henderson ect who know how to win at this level.

We are a newly promoted side. You can't just get promoted and expect to build a side within a season. Actually you can how did that work out for us? It takes time and patience. Featherstone did it when they first got promoted now look at them now. We have a young squad which will get better in time. We just have to stick through it. Fax Sheffield and Fev are going to batter the bottom 9 occasionally it's bound to happen they have much stronger squads. The club isn't in a position to flash cash at the better Championship players to guarantee wins.

I honestly can't understand how calling for someone to get the sack after a game against a side which hasn't lost at home this season and the game has absolute no bearing on our season whatsoever.

Edit: this was in response to barrowbobs post.

RSN    678

Not one of those players you mentioned kiddo are good enough for sl.

do yourself a favour sunshine and stop posting shiite!

We'll see how Sheffield go against London in the Challenge cup then. Seeing as none of their best players are good enough for SL they should have 50 put past them.

Yere could get a game at quite a few SL sides, only reason he doesn't want to move is because he's comfortable in Sheffield. Talaupapa was signed by HKR, until they swapped coaches and the new coach had never seen him play and declared he wasn't part of his plans. You really think that none of those players wouldn't get a game in any of the bottom 6 SL sides at all?

You can call my opinion what you want, but why do SL clubs try to sign Featherstones players if they arnt good enough for SL. Then again Sheffield arnt anywhere near the level of Featherstone are they...

livo    39

After such a good meeting on Friday where things are looking good for the club, how the hell are we supposed to get people through the gates. That was the worst game I've seen for a long time. We just didnt seem to be interested or we were out classed. What is going on ???  There is a handfull of players who have played constant most of the season. What about the rest ? 

How do we compete ?. I'm not saying we weren't good enough but how the hell can Sheffield put a winning team out, bearing in mind that its a council run ground and they have a gate less than 500 ( and today was shared ). Maybe I'm thick but how do they and other teams do it legally.

Someone with a bit of knowledge of how things work please answer me.

D11    17

If we had won more games so far then i am certain the finances would have been effected much earlier in the season by paying out win money/win bonus. Good news the meeting on Friday was positive but poor turn out considering the numbers we had in 2011.  In 2011 I spoke with Sheffields coach and he advised that there salary cap was one quarter of what Barrow was paying. If this was true or no i could not say.

Griff    126

If we had won more games so far then i am certain the finances would have been effected much earlier in the season by paying out win money/win bonus. Good news the meeting on Friday was positive but poor turn out considering the numbers we had in 2011.  In 2011 I spoke with Sheffields coach and he advised that there salary cap was one quarter of what Barrow was paying. If this was true or no i could not say.

How would he know ?

Gus Tyson    7

We'll see how Sheffield go against London in the Challenge cup then. Seeing as none of their best players are good enough for SL they should have 50 put past them.

Yere could get a game at quite a few SL sides, only reason he doesn't want to move is because he's comfortable in Sheffield. Talaupapa was signed by HKR, until they swapped coaches and the new coach had never seen him play and declared he wasn't part of his plans. You really think that none of those players wouldn't get a game in any of the bottom 6 SL sides at all?

You can call my opinion what you want, but why do SL clubs try to sign Featherstones players if they arnt good enough for SL. Then again Sheffield arnt anywhere near the level of Featherstone are they...

50 points, where do you work that one out from??

worky never got 50 put into them by widnes who are higher in the league than london, and worky are lower in the league than sheff!!

by the way, not one of them players you listed would be a SL player! what club if any, would any of that list command a place at?

i guess your big mates with Yere, he must text you and stuff saying i'm comfortable in the championship, i dont want to try and better myself and earn more money in SL??!! he's too old for SL and too slow, not one of the SL sides would benefit from his presence.

which payers from Fev are SL sides trying to sign??

you seem to know loads about other teams goings on.

you barrow raider skid have a head full of mash potato!

RSN    678

50 points,where do you work that one out from??

worky 50 didn't get put into them by widnes who are higher in the league than london, and worky are lower in the league than sheff!!

by the way, not one of them players you listed would be a SL player! what club if any, would any of that list command a place at?

i guess your big mates with Yere, he must text you and stuff saying i'm comfortable in the championship, i dont want to try and better myself and earn more money in SL??!! he's too old for SL and too slow, not one of the SL sides would benefit from his presence.

which payers from Fev are SL sides trying to sign??

you seem to know loads about other teams goings on.

you barrow raider skid have a head full of mash potato!

I personally think a couple of Workingtons players could have a go at SL. Elliot Miller has a lot of potential and maybe Brett Phillips.

Not a good friend of Yere clearly but if you read the league express you can pick up these bits of information.

If you look on the 'General rugby league' forum on this site in a fairly recent thread you'll see that some Featherstone players have turned down approaches from SL clubs.

If you want evidence of Talaupapa I'll find an article if you must.

Your saying no Championship player near the top end is good enough for SL. Then again Chris Hill, Alex Walmsley and Hardaker have done awful.

wonky    580

miller and phillips aint sl material far from it.there is a few in our league though that will reach the heights of sl

dave houghton at haven stands out as one.

well theres at least one super league team who thinks brett phillips could play super league but he turned them down in the off season as he didnt want to move away, stack would get into the bottom 4 sides easily enough as would callum phillips.dave houghton wouldnt get in half of the championship sides, never mind super league. he gets dominated by the town pack everytime we beat you.

gillmeister    132

No back to one Dave Houghton was released when Widnes were a championship club and he could barely get a game for them and is nowhere near good enough for superleague. He isnt a patch on Jamie Acton as a potential higher league player

And its true Brett Phillips did turn a superleague team down and has never lost a west cumbrian derby in a town shirt either!!