Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just Browny

The Magic Weekend Thread

243 posts in this topic

Tends to follow the basis that anyone who has attended one of these loves it, those that havent grumble about it.

Yes indeed. I remember after the first one in Cardiff this board was full of people declaring it a failure and rubbish.....who hadn't even been. It's brilliant and think I will be going on Sunday after all. STGE*

*subject to grovelling enough

There all weekend, first time ever so really looking forward to it!

Looking forward to it. The matches look very hard to call, especially with Cas & Salford having had recent changes.

Yes, and what with Wakefield having two awful weeks on Humberside in succession. It's a bit odd that Saints aren't playing Wigan, but I suppose it gives Widnes more of a chance of picking up two points against Salford.

Personally I like the idea/concept, but I do not like the fact that teams don't play each other a fixed number of times throughout the season when there's a shield to play for and playoff spots too.

Nothing new though - we had that stupid play half the league 3 times rule not so long back which was even worse. Luckily just one match doesn't make too much of an impact on final standings especially as we don't currently have relegation.

Just got tickets for Sunday. Looking forward to it now despite the likely thrashing.

Yes, and what with Wakefield having two awful weeks on Humberside in succession. It's a bit odd that Saints aren't playing Wigan, but I suppose it gives Widnes more of a chance of picking up two points against Salford.

It's great that Saints aren't playing Wigan.  We're sick of playing Wigan!  We played them 6 times in 2011 and about 5 times in 2012.  Glad of the change in scenery myself.

It's great that Saints aren't playing Wigan.  We're sick of playing Wigan!  We played them 6 times in 2011 and about 5 times in 2012.  Glad of the change in scenery myself.

Whilst I can live with repeat fixtures - for Magic I think they need to keep it fresh. Handpicking games like they have seems to have done the trick with ticket sales, derbies aren;t always great games.

If they perhaps had Wire v Wigan next year and Saints v Leeds, they could return to the derby the year after and keep it fresh.

Finally got my tickets.  A bit complicated as one of the party is disabled.

A word for the RFL on this matter - your staff on the phone are incredibly nice and helpful.  Good work!

The weather is supposed to be decent.

So take a peak cap.

I will be watching from home but really cant wait to watch each and every game

The weather is supposed to be decent.

So take a peak cap.

Quite sunny in Manchester city centre as I type. A bit nippy at the mo though. Hopefully it'll heat up a bit tomorrow.

I hope it pees down and you all lose :-(

Quite sunny in Manchester city centre as I type. A bit nippy at the mo though. Hopefully it'll heat up a bit tomorrow.

Give it a minute...

Had a couple of downpours about an hour ago on the way home over the border.

A good contingent from Perpignan on the way as well - just landed in Liverpool. Hope you all have a great weekend.

Anyone got any suggestions where to park?

Bradford.

(There is a small area further down Alan Turing Way, about a mile, called Bradford)

Our train has just pulled into Leeds where, it seems the entire population of the city has got on board.

Bratfud?

Bradford.

(There is a small area further down Alan Turing Way, about a mile, called Bradford)

Finally got my tickets.  A bit complicated as one of the party is disabled.

A word for the RFL on this matter - your staff on the phone are incredibly nice and helpful.  Good work!

Couldn't agree more mate. They really are excellent and make attending big games in a wheelchair so easy!

:D

Could it be that the Magic Weekend is starting to settle down in the calendar as an event? After hearing nothing until this week about it, I was fearing the worst about the crowd and have been surprised to see so many sold.

It's funny really. When it was first announced I think most of us thought it was a great idea and would see largely full stadia both days. I remember quotes about hoping to sell it out both days. This led to a bizarre feeling the first time it was played as you couldn't ignore the masses of empty seats even for the biggest games.

However, the vast majority of people returning could not speak highly enough of it and thought it was an incredible weekend. The expectation was that the second year would see bigger crowds and it did but not by as much as many hoped. Since then it never really kicked on certainly looked like it was going to be a flash in the pan. The move to Manchester certainly looked like a last throw of the dice for it.

There certainly feels to be an element of normality about this year's event. Most of the boo-boys appear to have given up and there doesn't seem to be the need to justify its existance. Maybe, just maybe this normalisation plus a bigger crowd this year will result in the event finally growing to what we wished it would become.