Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just Browny

The Magic Weekend Thread

243 posts in this topic

I've watched this year's on telly.

I think the whole thing has been superb in terns of the atmos, quality of play-although I haven't seen all of the games, the image it gives of rugby league and by and large the presentation. Sometimes the obsession with the negative aspects of Stevo and Eddie's performance draws attention from the excellence of the rest of the presentation team The camera work and direction have been superb

This festival of rugby league must be persevered with and developed and become embedded in the culture of the game and not be abandoned because of the miserable bastards who are bound to knock it let's for once take the longer view.

Love Magic. The one year I don't go, Hull win like that! Gutted!

Would be good if it could be made into a whole game festival. Not quite sure how they'd do that like but still!

I went on Saturday. It was a great atmosphere and quite honestly thought there were more fans there, so they must have been making mote noise. Agree it seemed that London wer very lack lustre (apart from Dixon who is a definite star). The Hull derby lived up to expectations - no, I am not going into the controversial Video Ref debate!!. And Saints Wire was closer than the score suggested.

Great value for money - 4 games for £28 is well worth it.

Great venue. Easy to get to and lots of public transport.

Great support from people who genuinely wanted a fun, friendly event,

Down side -

The stadium is isolated so there is not much chance of the atmosphere generated being enjoyed by the city centre. For me, this is where Cardiff wins out.

Stadium security searching bags for food - so they could charge £4.20 for a pint and £3.50 for a pie!!

Far more pluses than minuses though

Still 3k short of reported sales

and tbh - quite rubbish.

still the experts on this forum and elsewhere told us fans would flock to the weekend if it was local.

Idiots.

Well, the Croatian, the Greek and the Austrian absolutely loved it. In fact they're still singing about Joel and Michael Monaghan 24 hours on.

Fantastic weekend again, my liver's earned a rest though.

and tbh - quite rubbish.

still the experts on this forum and elsewhere told us fans would flock to the weekend if it was local.

Idiots.

Correct. Still stuck on the f###### b###### train that seems rooted to Victoria platform for some reason, so am very peed off and hardly neutral. But disappointed with the crowd. Hardly a huge difference from Cardiff. Heartlands my bell end

It'll pick up in 2015 when it becomes relegation decider weekend.

Superb weekend in all. For me it sums up why our sport is the greatest sport of all.

The fact that you can have all 14 SL sides playing at a ground sharing transport, no segregation and all in the same pubs is absolutely terrific. You wouldn't see this in most other sports. Great weather helps also.

I think the event needs to stay in manchester to keep building support. I've had two friends (never been to an RL game in their life) enquire about going next year after watching it on the tv.

We had our bags searched but only for cans. I had food in my bag and they didn't care. We did have a 2L bottle of water in my bag which they said there was a rule where you were only allowed 500ml max which was abit annoying.

I hope it stays in manchester next year, all the fans were great which we spoke to.

How is it *building* support when the crowd is actually lower?

Well to *try* and build support then. People can plan for the event who didn't go this year and liked the look of it on tv.

I've been reading how great the magic weekend is, just a thought.... how about playing the magic weekend on last weekend of the regular season...... Get all the fans and clubs together to  celebrate the end of the season and hand out the league leaders trophy

Well to *try* and build support then. People can plan for the event who didn't go this year and liked the look of it on tv.

Not being funny but couldn't they have done that since 2007?

Could of but they haven't, at least they can start now.

Could of but they haven't, at least they can start now.

Whereas they couldn't before because?....

Personally i'd stop listening to a word RL fans say. The vocal minority drag our game backwards- read any of Lobby's posts as an example.

I was a sceptic of taking it to Manchester....and with good reason. The crowd hasn't grown significantly, and whilst Etihad is a superb stadium RL fans simply aren't backing the event like they might.

If we aren't going to crack the 35K+ a day, we should take it to Newcastle/Cardiff wherever

I enjoyed it, and it was me first. What a ground!

If we had reached 65000+ aggregate I'd have said keep it here long term but I think I'm swaying towards a new venue every 3/4 years.

Rather than the band I thought it would be good to have a 7 or 9's tournament between games for conference teams across the country. Maybe Wath Brow, Bristol, Skirlaugh etc.

It'll pick up in 2015 when it becomes relegation decider weekend.

Two very good rfeasons why this Chris Irvine suggestion needs to be booted into touch.

Firstly the reason why Union and Soccer matches all kick off at the same time on the final day is to ensure that no club gains an unfair advantage by knowing the result of other matches. This is impossible at a single venue.

Secondly the last time we had a relegation battle between two clubs, A segment of Wakefield fans poured onto the field at the end of the game to taunt Castleford's fans. To their credit Cas fans who were segregated from Wakefields did not rise to the bait. Buit the consequences of a drop from Super League are such that there may be as much action off the field at a desegregated Etihad Stadium as on it.

Posting as someone who went to the first five Magic Weekends at Cardiff and Edinburgh but who sees nothing magic about Manchester, I would say that after seven years of attendances at this event flatlining and giving a TV spectacle of a half empty stadium, on Sky Sports Four. Is it not time to consider that the whole concept of the magic weekend is flawed and a superflous round of matches.

As for other sports copying this, I can state for a fact that there is pressure from the Counties to have Crickets T20 finals day split into separate Semi Final and Final matches not held on the same day and the future of Union's London double header is uncertain post 2013 as two of the participant clubs now have their own ground and do not make money from the event which is unpopular with the majority of their core support.

I think you will find the PA reported 25,000 at the ground but 31,000 seats sold. With many fans owning the discounted tickets for this event having other things to do on a sunny late bank holiday weekend  I know I did..

Theres nothing wrong with trying something different to see if it works but if it does not why persist. But of course this is Rugby League.....

For me i still love the concept, its a great spectacle to watch on the TV and showcases the game really well

Well we've sold 65k so this being rugby league I predict a crowd lower than this.

Call me a psychic, or maybe I just know RL too well to never fully believe a good news story!

Two very good rfeasons why this Chris Irvine suggestion needs to be booted into touch.

Firstly the reason why Union and Soccer matches all kick off at the same time on the final day is to ensure that no club gains an unfair advantage by knowing the result of other matches. This is impossible at a single venue.

Secondly the last time we had a relegation battle between two clubs, A segment of Wakefield fans poured onto the field at the end of the game to taunt Castleford's fans. To their credit Cas fans who were segregated from Wakefields did not rise to the bait. Buit the consequences of a drop from Super League are such that there may be as much action off the field at a desegregated Etihad Stadium as on it.

Posting as someone who went to the first five Magic Weekends at Cardiff and Edinburgh but who sees nothing magic about Manchester, I would say that after seven years of attendances at this event flatlining and giving a TV spectacle of a half empty stadium, on Sky Sports Four. Is it not time to consider that the whole concept of the magic weekend is flawed and a superflous round of matches.

As for other sports copying this, I can state for a fact that there is pressure from the Counties to have Crickets T20 finals day split into separate Semi Final and Final matches not held on the same day and the future of Union's London double header is uncertain post 2013 as two of the participant clubs now have their own ground and do not make money from the event which is unpopular with the majority of their core support.

I think you will find the PA reported 25,000 at the ground but 31,000 seats sold. With many fans owning the discounted tickets for this event having other things to do on a sunny late bank holiday weekend  I know I did..

Theres nothing wrong with trying something different to see if it works but if it does not why persist. But of course this is Rugby League.....

I'm sorry but the vast majority who go enjoy it and many positively love it. As long as it doesn't make a loss I'm not sure what harm it's doing.

I've not had the opportunity to get to a single one, but the Manchester one looks better on TV. The lower tier always looks fairly full, especially the side facing the camera. Cardiff was just too big and Murrayfield too dull.

I follow much of the game on Twitter and the magic weekend is one of the most talked about events of the year, it creates far more interest and excitement than a regular round of SL would even with the derbies in place. Maybe, if it didn't have the feeling that it was going to pulled from one year to the next it would grow. I think it is starting to become more accepted as a regular part of the season.

I'm sorry but the vast majority who go enjoy it and many positively love it. As long as it doesn't make a loss I'm not sure what harm it's doing.

Indeed. I'm not a great fan of the concept, or of taking it to Manchester, but if the RFL make money on it then fair enough. The more big events the sport can put on the better.

I've just got home from what was another great event, a good contingent of Catalan fans in our hotel who had been in Manchester since Wednesday and loved it.

A large number of Hull fans seemed to have made a full weekend of it.

Its a unique sporting event, and the nay sayers are just bunch of ,miserable tossers who don't deserve a sport as good as RL to enjoy.