Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Emosi Koloto

Sinfield's form in last few games

294 posts in this topic

1. I'd rather Sinfield had a few average performances now rather than later in the season for England. Brough on his day is a great player. However England have been building a team over the last few years. I don't want England to pick the best 13 individuals for the World Cup. I want the best team.

2. Those players are going to be in camp together for 6 weeks. They are going to have to put their bodies on the line for the bloke next to them and to make sacrifices for the sake of the team for 6 whole weeks. It's not just about chucking the 13 best players out there and saying go win the World Cup.

3. For year's people have been saying if we're going to beat the Aussies England/GB need to do something different. That's what has been happening for the last few years. We've now got a club feel to the England side.

4. Brough was part of the squad last year and played in the Exiles match. Not only didn't he play well, but he obviously didn't fit in to the team, else he'd have been back in the squad this year.

5. Brough is 30. Been at lots of clubs. Just how many medals does he have in his trophy cabinet?

6. We're in this World Cup to win it, not to have a few flash moments that look good on the replays.

1. On that basis then we shouldn't select; Kallum Watkins, Sam Burgess, George Burgess ect as they haven't been part of this team building have they. Every other nation selects the best 13 players in their respective position, why should we do any different to accommodate a sub international standard half back partnership.

2. Your saying Danny Brough isn't going to put his body on the line for England if he plays? I hardly think thats true.

3. Yes its been happening but it didn't work 2 years ago. We lost the final because their half backs were several classes above ours in every aspect. The pressure they built up won them the game. Why not try something different and play our best 2 half backs in their actual position, that will give us the best chance of winning.

4. The team which played in that exiles will be completely different to the one we have now. Infact I imagine 5 players from that team he played in will start at the millennium stadium, if that. The back row we had that game kept missing tackles. Menzies ripped them apart, it was the worst back row I've seen pull on an England shirt in my life time. What can Brough do about missed tackles on the edges?

5. On that basis we need Paul Wellens at full back, Jamie Peacock in the front row. Sean Long and Leon Pryce in the halves with Jamie Jones Buchanan at second row.

6. You make this statement then say we should keep Rangi Chase in the side? Really?

Id rather read what he has to say than attend a live lecture and be forced to endure his monotone drone!

Whether or not he has something interesting to say his delivery would put a glass eye to sleep hence you never see Barrie Mac in lengthy conversation with him.

The selection for the Exiles should be interesting.

Brough one of the form players in SL at present.

Sinfield out of form, playing poorly and making game losing plays.

Shown up and outclassed again tonight, Daniel Holdsworth has steered Hull FC round the park and kicked Leeds to death while Kevin Sinfield only managed a few disapproving stares into the ref cam.

Did Sinfield play in the second half?

Did he play in the first?!

The selection for the Exiles should be interesting.

Brough one of the form players in SL at present.

Sinfield out of form, playing poorly and making game losing plays.

Is he out if form is this simply how he plays? It's not like he breaks the line usually and has stopped for a few weeks.

In the game against Hull F.C., Leeds did not have the field position to inflict any damage with the kicking game. Sinfield is at his best when able to put dangerous kicks close to the goal line. The kicks last night were from far down the pitch and so straight to McDonnell with the result that the Hull full back was able to make easy metres. Could Sinfield's poor form also be related to the absence of the under-rated Ablett? Leeds won last year's Grand Final not only due to Sinfield's kicking but also because Ablett was pressing the locations where the ball was landing.

Actually, isn't Brough the best 6 in the country, not 7? Just saying ;)

Can I copy my Rob Burrow rant on here as to the reason why Leeds halfs have been poor recently?.. Can I? Can I?!!!!

In the game against Hull F.C., Leeds did not have the field position to inflict any damage with the kicking game. Sinfield is at his best when able to put dangerous kicks close to the goal line. The kicks last night were from far down the pitch and so straight to McDonnell with the result that the Hull full back was able to make easy metres. Could Sinfield's poor form also be related to the absence of the under-rated Ablett? Leeds won last year's Grand Final not only due to Sinfield's kicking but also because Ablett was pressing the locations where the ball was landing.

Against Australia, is Sinfield going to have this luxury of being near the goal line every time?

If he can't get to get us out of danger (which recent form is suggesting he's losing that ability at an alarming rate), then he's not really that good to us, is he? He's slow as well. He's a fairly good organiser but not quick enough to take advantage of that.

I'm being more and more convinced every week that Brough is definitely the answer, not Sinfield.

Can I copy my Rob Burrow rant on here as to the reason why Leeds halfs have been poor recently?.. Can I? Can I?!!!!

He shouldn't start he should be on the bench and come on after 25 - 30 minutes. His running from dummy half against a tiring pack can change a game.

It worked against Australia to an extent, they didn't like it and gave away a couple of silly penalties. He's poor as a starting 9 but is absolutely class when coming off the bench.

Sinfield against Australia is consistently going to have to kick from inside his own 40m line. I'd say 4/5 of Australias kicks will turn Tomkins around or find touch and our first play will be inside our 20m line or even our 10m line. If England kick the ball straight down Slaters throat and he picks it up on the 20m line

Australia will potentially be starting there set on the 35m - 40m mark. After a set they'll be in a position to put up an attacking kick such as a bomb which may lead to another set of six.

Sinfield yesterday consistently kicked straight to the full back/winger. If you do this against Aus we will

get beat as they will begin starting their sets further away from the try line. It makes a huge amount of difference at international level.

Sinfield yesterday consistently kicked straight to the full back/winger. If you do this against Aus we will

get beat as they will begin starting their sets further away from the try line. It makes a huge amount of difference at international level.

He didn't actually but let's say he did consistently kick it to the fullback, this is rare TBH you can label Sinfield as slow or uncreative or whatever but Sinfield has been a very good long and short kicker for Leeds a few off games doesn't really negate that.

Sinfield is not a top class International Half.

He may fit into Leeds pattern and be successful but that is no tick of approval at Test level.

There have been plenty of great Players that could do wonderful things for their Club but that did not make the Test players in that position.

He offers nothing himself in attack or threat with his running game to upset a defensive structure at the top level.

Australia will mark him as a weak link (England have him as Captain and key player) and run at him in attack to break him and wear him out.

They will restructure their defense when Sinfield has the ball in hand as they know he can not harm them unless he is close to the line as he has not got the pace to do anything that can not be easily covered.

He becomes a one trick Pony and that is a great Kicker for Goal. 

He didn't actually but let's say he did consistently kick it to the fullback, this is rare TBH you can label Sinfield as slow or uncreative or whatever but Sinfield has been a very good long and short kicker for Leeds a few off games doesn't really negate that.

I've never been more convinced you don't actually watch the games.

Sinfield was shocking yesterday. The number of times McDonnell barely had to move to take his "pressure relieving" bombs was ridiculous for someone who is supposed to have this as a strength. McDonnell had a field day.

His kicking game is getting worse. It was erratic against Wigan at times (costing them a try before HT). It was completely dominated by Huddersfield's opposite number the other week, and save the first 20 minutes, he was virtually invisible against a very poor Saints outfit.

Sinfield's form is awful at the moment. This has been something used to beat Danny Brough down. We now know that it's fair to both. Currently, Brough has the better skill set. Sinfield's only redeeming feature is he's a great captain of a champion side. There are plenty of people that can fill that role for England.

Sinfield is not a top class International Half.

He may fit into Leeds pattern and be successful but that is no tick of approval at Test level.

There have been plenty of great Players that could do wonderful things for their Club but that did not make the Test players in that position.

He offers nothing himself in attack or threat with his running game to upset a defensive structure at the top level.

Australia will mark him as a weak link (England have him as Captain and key player) and run at him in attack to break him and wear him out.

They will restructure their defense when Sinfield has the ball in hand as they know he can not harm them unless he is close to the line as he has not got the pace to do anything that can not be easily covered.

He becomes a one trick Pony and that is a great Kicker for Goal. 

My sentiments to a T, like it.

Pressure releasing bombs? A bomb is an attacking kick and these are generally aimed at a player to put the pressure on them, I'm now convinced you don't watch the games.

Where have I said Sinfields form is good? It isn't at the moment it's down on his usually high standards. Doesn't mean he should be written off on the basis of four mid season games, I don't do knee jerkery

The 20 or so games where Sinfields kicking game at international level hasn't been good enough backs it up.

Sinfield has outclassed by Holdsworths kicking last night. Sinfields was below average, I can only think of 1 or 2 good kicks he did.

The 20 or so games where Sinfields kicking game at international level hasn't been good enough backs it up.

Not this again, it's 20+ now it's was 30+ a few days ago, and we established that England have only list to Australia with Sinfield at half back in the recent past, and if you think that was solely down to Sinfield then it seems you have an agenda.

Yes holdsworth was better than Sinfield last night but the whole Hull team were dominant, just like Australia have been against England

Not this again, it's 20+ now it's was 30+ a few days ago, and we established that England have only list to Australia with Sinfield at half back in the recent past, and if you think that was solely down to Sinfield then it seems you have an agenda.

Yes holdsworth was better than Sinfield last night but the whole Hull team were dominant, just like Australia have been against England

He's had 20+ poor performances and has played 30+ games for England.

Don't think anyone has an agenda with Sinfield. If any player had consistently played poor for their country, then begins playing poorly at club level but is still made captain of his country despite there being better options people are bound to complain.

The big difference between England and Australia is the halves. I can honestly not express this enough to you.They make the difference in the huge games. Queensland have dominated state of origin since 2006, the reason why is because of Thurston Smith and Lockyer the latter being recently replaced by Cronk. They are the best in the world in their positions. They had them three in 2005 I know that but I don't think Smith and Thurston were at the level they are now in 2005.

You could swap Australia's centres about, wingers and forwards they would make little difference except maybe Inglis and Gallen the team would perform to a similar level as long as they have the 6 7 9 of Thurston Cronk and Smith. They make the difference to the side when the team's arnt far off matching eachother.

England this year are blessed with a lot of talent. Compared to 2008 we are twice the side we are. We have Tomkins who is the biggest attacking threat we have had in decades. Wingers who IMO are better than their Aussie opposition. In the centres Watkins is a huge threat which if given the time and space he can get past his opposition of any class. I'll admit we are lacking a bit in our other centre. Forwards we pretty much match them. We've matched them for years. Where haven't we matched them? In the halves.

Australia's players are slightly better than ours overall, there isn't a huge gap. But a slightly worse team can beat a better side on their day especially in their own country. If we let their halves get on top we get beat they'll just build up pressure and we will crumble in the 60th minute and concede 3 or 4 tries.

McNamara cant really go wrong in who he picks in most positions. 2 out of Hall/Charnley/Briscoe/Lineham really won't bother me. 4 props out of Burgess x 3/Graham/Crabtree/Mossop/Hill really won't bother me. A hooker out of Roby/Houghton/Lunt/Mcillorum won't bother me either. 3 second rowers out of Westwood/Hock/Ellis/Farrell/O Loughlin really won't bother me. It's just the halves we have to get right and pick the right positions.

Sinfield hasn't been why we have lost in the last decade. We have lost a lot of games due to Australia having to much quality in most games. Now we are not far in terms of quality in our starting 17.

But picking someone who didn't perform in his prime, didn't perform two years ago, doesn't have a running game and now his club form is being shown up over someone with everything required of an international 7 and is ripping teams to shreds is bound to annoy a lot of people hence the constant threads.

I don't have a fixation on Sinfield. I'd being doing the same ranting if Chase gets picked ahead of Widdop. But McNamara has made a huge implication that Sinfield will be playing by making him captain which makes me 95% certain he will play. I'm not sure who will play out of Chase and Widdop if I'm honest but I'd guess Chase.